• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do I know if joining the Navy is right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ1

Hi guys,

I am seriously trying to find the proper course in my life. I am 29 yrs old with two college degrees. I wonder if joining the Navy would be a good idea. I am not sure where I would really fit in if I joined the Navy. I guess Supply Officer would be the only logical choice given my age and qualifications.

My whole life I have been sheltered, for the most part. I was the guy that got bullied from junior high school all throughout college. Part of me would like to believe that joining the military will give me self-esteem, self-confidence, and a sense of purpose in life. Even if SO would be a good choice, I wonder if I have the metal to make it through OCS. I am not really sure if I can withstand the stress on a daily basis and waking up at 5 AM every morning.

Another reason I want to join is to become more disciplined and physically fit. Right now I am chubby and have never been in shape. I can jog a mile in 9 minutes and do around 25 pushups max. Does the military instill discipline in a man or must the individual already have the discipline in the first place? I have heard stories of men joining the military and completely changing their lives around. Might I be able to do the same?

BTW, before I call an Officer Recruiter, I was just hoping to get some honest, constructive feedback from some of the knowledgeable guys on this forum. Haters need not respond.

Thanks for any answers,
MJ

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
This sounds like a post from F-16.net I read a few months ago. I have no time in service, but from everything I've consumed, all the characteristics you describe and envy come from within. If you lack discipline in the first place, the military will not instill it in you.

If you can set a goal, say getting in good physical shape, that is a huge step in the right direction. You'd be surprised what being in better-than-average shape will do for your self-esteem.

BullGator

Hi guys,

I am seriously trying to find the proper course in my life. I am 29 yrs old with two college degrees. I wonder if joining the Navy would be a good idea. I am not sure where I would really fit in if I joined the Navy. I guess Supply Officer would be the only logical choice given my age and qualifications.

My whole life I have been sheltered, for the most part. I was the guy that got bullied from junior high school all throughout college. Part of me would like to believe that joining the military will give me self-esteem, self-confidence, and a sense of purpose in life. Even if SO would be a good choice, I wonder if I have the mettle to make it through OCS. I am not really sure if I can withstand the stress on a daily basis and waking up at 5 AM every morning.

Another reason I want to join is to become more disciplined and physically fit. Right now I am chubby and have never been in shape. I can jog a mile in 9 minutes and do around 25 pushups max. Does the military instill discipline in a man or must the individual already have the discipline in the first place? I have heard stories of men joining the military and completely changing their lives around. Might I be able to do the same?

BTW, before I call an Officer Recruiter, I was just hoping to get some honest, constructive feedback from some of the knowledgeable guys on this forum. Haters need not respond.

Thanks for any answers,
MJ
I'm not sure where to start. I wanted to reply to your other thread but it was locked. First, if you really want to fly airplanes for the military, the AF allows you up until 29 and a half years old and like others were saying on that thread, the Army is an option.

I've seen your "motivation(s)" and they are honest, but I don't know if that mentality could get you through OCS (I'm thinking a definite no though, also considering your fitness). You should be in shape before OCS. You need to also talk to recruiters from each service, and before that do some soul searching as what you would be happy doing in life. You will likely have to sign a contract for a minimum of 4 years; don't take this as another "shot" at life, know what you want to do and that your fortitude will be with you throughout, even at 5am (because it is something that will get you to where you want to go).

I do think that the nice guys here will help you too, considering you took a much different approach in this thread.

And remember, in life "don't be an Eiore, be a Tigger." No one here will feel sorry for you, but since you seem honest I do think they will help.

What to take away from all this:
1.) Soul search: what do you want in life?
2.) Talk to a recruiter (officer or enlisted) if you decide in #1 that you want to be in the military, and that you have a good general idea what kind of job you would like.
3.) SWO is respectable and good career if that's what you decided in #2.
4.) Good luck at whatever you decide. Remember there are plenty of Al Bundys out there who hate their job, if you have a family you need to suck it up and do your best and maybe you will be the president of your company in 10 years...
5.) Please don't join the services for only the reasons you said above. I'd rather have one man short then someone who wants to get fit and needs self-confidence.

If all this doesn't get through to you then there is always Awolfinthewater who is aan OR. He is nice and may be able to guide you.

BullGator

Good luck man.

-edited: I am still only a civilian, so what I said (though I think correct) should be varified if possible by other AW members. I am a week a way from sending in my packet for SNA to the September boards, FYI.

For anyone that read my earlier post, I will try to keep it shorter in the future :) . Also like I said, please varify or discount what I said in post #3. I think he'd take it more to heart if someone on the "inside" could comment on his situation.

P3 F0

None
As has already been said, don't join because you're hoping the Navy will get you there from where you are now. Join because you want to be an Officer or serve your country or have a great job and lead people. After all, how will your attitude be if you graduate from OCS still overweight and hating the 0500 wakeup? Be proactive. Get in shape yourself; get in shape now. The fitness and discipline piece shouldn't really be a factor in joining, IMO. They should already be there.

Also, if you're questioning whether you can handle the stress or not... I gotta say, it's kind of weird to hear someone voicing that concern while considering joining the military. There's going to be stress. There'll be long hours and months away on the boat. It's a part of the job and lifestyle. If you're that sheltered that the mere outlook of that scares you, you may want to consider another less stressful field.

AYCE: good advice, but careful with the spelling Nazi stuff. "varify."

nugget61

pilot
Well the Navy isn't a fitness plan, nor are they in the business of pumping you up. But if you really think about it and get it in you that you want to do this, then I'm sure you could.
Have a look at the PRT info here: http://www.navy-prt.com/malestandard.html
I found that having an excel spreadsheet following my workout routine ensures that I make my goals and sets a reasonable path for my future goals. GL to ya.

BullGator

As has already been said, don't join because you're hoping the Navy will get you there from where you are now. Join because you want to be an Officer or serve your country or have a great job and lead people. After all, how will your attitude be if you graduate from OCS still overweight and hating the 0500 wakeup? Be proactive. Get in shape yourself; get in shape now. The fitness and discipline piece shouldn't really be a factor in joining, IMO. They should already be there.

Also, if you're questioning whether you can handle the stress or not... I gotta say, it's kind of weird to hear someone voicing that concern while considering joining the military. There's going to be stress. There'll be long hours and months away on the boat. It's a part of the job and lifestyle. If you're that sheltered that the mere outlook of that scares you, you may want to consider another less stressful field.

AYCE: good advice, but careful with the spelling Nazi stuff. "varify."
Hehe, I am a terrible speller myself. You are right, I should ease up (but in my defense metal and mettle couldn't be further apart in meaning). At least I should have ran a spell check if I was going to point someone else out. :D

I failed to point out the "stress" issue too: what P3 FO said is right, but also there is OCS itself. OCS is a place that is made up of 12 weeks of continueous stress (from what I understand) on purpose to root out the ones that don't have the determination and lack the appropriate "reactions" in stressful situations.

Also, ease in to a workout plan Today! I say ease so you don't injure your self (ie. running 7 days a week), and like nugget said come up with a workout plan that you strictly follow.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Going through OCS didn't make me a better person by itself, it was the preparing for it followed by the challenge that made me better. Do not think that you can be broken and that the military will fix you. Start the job, you'll then see that the military can help you finish it.

You seem lost, which is fine, but you need to find your way. If that is the military, so be it, but there is not one path for all people.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It seems as if you are searching for things which could help make you a better person. Boot camp and life as an enlisted sailor might help facilitate this, but if you're going to be an officer, you can't be the bullied type. You are going to have to help sailors with their own problems and issues, so if you have issues of your own, going in, you won't be as effective in leading your sailors.

I've seen guys with far more resolve than you showed in your post who DORed from OCS or flight school. It isn't just training that you "get through". It takes a lot of determination to get through OCS and flight school (I'm not even done myself), so you had better be 100% sure that you're ready.

utak

Joining the military (especially the Navy through Officer Candidate School) is a lot more then "I'll just join up and they'll give me self-esteem, confidence, and discipline". Under stress, you don't rise to the challenge, you simply revert back to your highest training level. If you are a bundle of nerves to begin with, and you are subjected to major amounts of stress, odds are you will become that way and probaly even worse. But if you prepared and you have a strong base, then you will fall back to that foundation and persevere.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would suggest you find another line of work. In order to gain more self esteem while getting in shape, plan on running a marathon or some other athletic endeavor.

You need to show up to OCS in shape and ready to train. You should already have the basic skills of an officer now. Sounds like you're academically qualified now, but you don't appear mentally ready. You also can't go into OCS thinking that if it's too bad, I'll quit. That is a colossal waste of time for everyone and the worst part of it is that you took someone else's slot to be there. OCS doesn't teach you how to get up at 5am or how to motivate and discipline yourself. It's expected that you can take care of your own business before you get there.

Of course, there is always the enlistment route. Getting through bootcamp and completing an enlistment will certainly teach you how to get up early, PT and teach some level of self discipline (if that's what you're looking for).

If you're looking for government service jobs, I'd suggest you look at USA jobs through www.opm.gov

Best of luck.

MJ1

Thanks guys I am reading all the posts...keep them coming.

I have been doing some more thinking and here are some other reasons why I want to join the NAVY as an Officer:

I want to be a leader of men
Serve my country
Receive good benefits
Earn respect and admiration of my peers

Besides Supply Officer, another position I might be qualified for is a Submarine Officer. Only problem is I am clostrophobic. DOH!

MJ

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks guys I am reading all the posts...keep them coming.

I have been doing some more thinking and here are some other reasons why I want to join the NAVY as an Officer:

I want to be a leader of men
Serve my country
Receive good benefits
Earn respect and admiration of my peers

Besides Supply Officer, another position I might be qualified for is a Submarine Officer. Only problem is I am clostrophobic. DOH!

MJ

I'm pretty sure you can do all those thing you mentioned above in the Army. You are clostrophobic, out of shape, lack confidence, lack self-esteem and whatever else, correct? I say, go ARMY!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm pretty sure you can do all those thing you mentioned above in the Army. You are clostrophobic, out of shape, lack confidence, lack self-esteem and whatever else, correct? I say, go ARMY!!!

+1

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.