• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How do I calculate my cumulative GPA if I have a Masters and a Bachelors?

Russell1015

Would this also be true for an associates and bachelors earned from different schools? The bachelors used the credits but assigned no gpa points to them.

n0rthstar

Would this also be true for an associates and bachelors earned from different schools? The bachelors used the credits but assigned no gpa points to them.

In my experience, yes. They seemed to count all my credits/GPA from three different schools (CC, uni, graduate)

I have a similar question to OP's. I have credits from 5 different schools. I was told by someone that got picked up (assumed he knew what he was talking about) and he said you only submit your transcripts from the schools you graduated from for your degree. So If I have an associates and bachelors that would be two transcripts and not 5. Does that sound right? or do I get one GPA calculated from all 5 schools?

Russell1015

I have a similar question to OP's. I have credits from 5 different schools. I was told by someone that got picked up (assumed he knew what he was talking about) and he said you only submit your transcripts from the schools you graduated from for your degree. So If I have an associates and bachelors that would be two transcripts and not 5. Does that sound right? or do I get one GPA calculated from all 5 schools?
They want all transcripts I had to submit one with two classes on it.

It depends on how the college calculates plus or minus credit. But to answer your question we don’t ever tweak what’s on the transcripts.
I guess that makes more sense. Some colleges allow you to retake a failed class and don't calculate the original failure in to your GPA.

The problem with the whole credit calculation and pooling together transcripts is if you use credits and not classes Science majors are at a disadvantage. For example:
If I had two A's in a normal 3 credit class I have a 4.0 GPA. 12*2=24/6=4.0 GPA
If I had two A's in a 4 credit class because of a LAB it would be 12*2=24/8=3.0 GPA

NCCGT

I guess that makes more sense. Some colleges allow you to retake a failed class and don't calculate the original failure in to your GPA.

The problem with the whole credit calculation and pooling together transcripts is if you use credits and not classes Science majors are at a disadvantage. For example:
If I had two A's in a normal 3 credit class I have a 4.0 GPA. 12*2=24/6=4.0 GPA
If I had two A's in a 4 credit class because of a LAB it would be 12*2=24/8=3.0 GPA
That’s now how a university calculates GPAs for a lab. If they did, then they’d basically be saying it’s impossible for STEM major students to get a 4.0

That’s now how a university calculates GPAs for a lab. If they did, then they’d basically be saying it’s impossible for STEM major students to get a 4.0

I know that's not how a university does it but that's how users have suggested the Navy does it when combining classes from different transcripts. What recruiting guru said made more sense. They just go with whatever is on the transcript.

jad3105

Double check the Program Authorization - it will have a part that addresses GPA. For instance, mine says you take the undergrad GPA (per your transcript). The post-grad GPA can be combined to raise the overall GPA. I wouldn't overthink it, just start with the PA and work from there.

Double check the Program Authorization - it will have a part that addresses GPA. For instance, mine says you take the undergrad GPA (per your transcript). The post-grad GPA can be combined to raise the overall GPA. I wouldn't overthink it, just start with the PA and work from there.
Just says the cumulative GPA needs to be between 3.0 and 4.0. If I'm looking at the right document
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Documents/PA-107_AMDO_Jul-2019.pdf

jad3105

Just says the cumulative GPA needs to be between 3.0 and 4.0. If I'm looking at the right document
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Documents/PA-107_AMDO_Jul-2019.pdf
It says bachelor's degree between 3 and 4.0 - if you are not in that range for the undergrad, I would ask the OR how post-grad factors in, if at all, unless you use it to get yourself in that range.

exNavyOffRec

I know that's not how a university does it but that's how users have suggested the Navy does it when combining classes from different transcripts. What recruiting guru said made more sense. They just go with whatever is on the transcript.

They don't do that, if you had a 4 credit course with a lab for 1 more credit and you rec'd an A for the course you would have a 4.0, nearly all of my applicants had tech classes with labs.

If you went to 5 different classes and the classes were all included on the transcripts you graduated from, and they calculated the GPA into it then that makes it easier for the processors to figure out, however some don't do that, some when you retake a class leave everything for the old class in the calculation, some remove the info and it doesn't factor in, that is why the processors need to see all transcripts.

If you don't submit all the transcripts even if all the credits transferred over, it could get to NRC and if they see 15 credits from backwoods CC and that transcript isn't there, well they can and have rejected the application.

jhaselti

You can do the calculation fairly easily once you understand what to do. Basically you go with a grade * credit hours approach. A= 4 B=3 C=2 D =1 F=0. So if you got a C in a 3 credit hour class its 2 * 3, If you got an A in a 4 credit hour class its 4 * 4, if you had a class plus a lab it would normally be 3 credit hours for the class and 1 for the lab, totaling 4 credit hours. You calculate that like A for class 4 * 3, B for lab 3 * 1. Once you add them all up, divide that last number by total credit hours.

Just go down the line on your transcripts and do this and it should be the exact same, or close to what the recruiters pull up.

As far as Masters superseding a Bachelors, that is ONLY for qualifying, so say you had a 2.5 bachelors but a 3.5 masters, the 3.5 pushes you over the minimum of needing a 2.8 or such requirement, but the bachelors GPA still counts when calculating the cumulative to be competitive.