• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How Difficult Is It To Get Into PLC/OCC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Ok guys (and possibly gals?)...I'm a big-time newbie here, so I'm looking for all the information and insight I can get into the world of becoming an officer.

At this point, I have my sights set on becoming an aviator in the USMC.

I'm now a sophomore in college, and basically, to tell you the truth, I've pretty much messed around for two years, taking all the gen. ed classes, taking advantage of my freedom, and pretty much just messin' around. Let's just say my GPA isn't the best around.

Now though, and this sounds kinda weird, but I've become focused and want to turn my life around, pick a path to pursue, and do the best I can.

As far as I can tell, there are two ways for a civilian to become a Marine Corps officer...either by the Platoon Leaders Class or the Offficer Candidate Class.

I don't know how much experience you all on here have with these "classes", but how hard are they to get into?

I take it they are much, much more difficult than just "signing up"?

I really want to become an officer, but I'm very much afraid that no matter how good I do in my next two years pursuing a bachelors degree, my previous two years goofing around will keep me from "getting in".

Thank for any help.

Jelly.

Dexter80

Jelly,

The first thing you need to do is to contact the OSO (Officer Selection Officer) for your area. You can find this from www.marineofficer.com or just visit a local enlisted recruiting office and they can point you in the right direction.

As far as how hard the programs are and if you will get in, the programs are always competitive and your chances of getting in will depend first and foremost on your potential to be a Marine officer and also simply how competitive your package is for your board. At the time I went in it was pretty competitive and my OSO told me that he had a candidate rejected for an alcohol arrest when the guy was 16 or so. Does this mean that he couldn't be a good officer? No, but the apparently this made his package less competitive in relation to who else was up for that board.

I do know that your OSO's recommendation does carry some weight for the boards so if you have what it takes and you are motivated then you've got a shot. But if you have some things that you think may hinder your acceptance, don't lie and don't try to hide them. They will surface and it will hurt you.

Your application will go as an aviation application so you will go to OCS as an aviation candidate and you are guaranteed the flight contract. You'll then go to The Basic School then off to Pensacola for flight training.

Good luck.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Since the retention rate for officers is pretty high now, I'd say it is pretty hard to get picked up for PLC and OCC right now (especially the latter).

If you talked to an OSO he'll tell you about the minimum requirements to get into the program. But I'll tell you what, if you settle for the minimum, don't count on getting picked up for the program.

There seems to be a need for flight candidates lately, so that might help your chances.

But otherwise, prepare to work hard for it mentally, physically and academically.

lucky1899

Don't worry too much

Don't worry too much about getting into OCC. I have come across more than a couple guys that got accepted into OCC186 (small class) with PFT's below 270. If you work hard to get that PFT up, and assuming your GPA is decent, and you dont have any bad waivers, you have a real shot at getting accepted. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I have a PFT of 287, 3.0 GPA, and 1360 SAT. I would be surprised if I didnt get into OCC187. Of course, the REAL challenge starts once you get there. The retention rates aren't all that high.

Midshipmanjosh

225, but that really won't get you any where. If you read in the thread about the 189 candidates most of the PFT scores are between the 260-290 range.

Personally, my score is around a 270 right now. The best advice that i would give ya is to work on your pullups and the crunchs. The crunchs are a piece of cake to get (make sure your doing the correct technique. Once i corrected my technique, i went up about 30 crunches). The pullups aren't really that hard either. Use the armstrong workout or any work out that gets you doing about 50+ pullups every 2 days.

Thats my advice.

My Ultra PFT
22 pullups
158 crunches
22:45 run time

Status
Not open for further replies.