• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How competitive?

navycandidate

Hey everyone... I have heard a lot about how competitive it is to get into OCS, so I was just curious to see how competitive you all think I will be...

-I am a senior at a public university (graduating in may with a B.S.)
- 2.96 GPA/History major and legal studies minor
- No criminal record, i have one traffic ticket for running a red light and a misdemeanor for hosting a nuisance party.
- I took the LSAT and have been accepted to a few law schools
- Worked all four years of college, I am currently employed at a local hospital in the registration department
-E-board member of Phi Alpha Delta Pre Law fraternity
-Founding father of Kappa Sigma at my university (I helped establish the fraternity on campus)
-Youth Head soccer coach
-Internship at county prosecutors office
-Volunteered and fundraised money for special olympics and relay for life
-In high school i played 3 varsity sports

So far I have filled out my application and received four LOR's... one from a former boss, one from my high school varsity basketball coach, one from the U.S. District Attorney, and one from a professor. I am taking the ASTB soon and am in good enough shape where I should do fine on the PT.

On my application I listed Pilot,NFO, and SWO as my top 3 choices.... Do you think I am qualified for these or would i fit in to something else better?

Any suggestions, tips, thoughts would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, you're in. No question. May as well shave your head and get a "USN" tattoo. :D

Smartassery aside - there's no way for anyone on this site to give you a useful answer as to your competitiveness. Medical issues (vision, joint/muscle injuries, etc) are more often an issue than academic credentials or how many sports you played. Your performance on the ASTB will play a big part in your competitiveness for Aviaiton.

If you kept your nose reasonably clean (no felony convictions), have at least a Bachelor's from an accredited institution and no major medical issues, you're about as competitive as anyone else. Study hard for the ASTB. Do all the paperwork on time and accurately. From there, it's a matter of needs of the Navy.

Good luck!

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Why not finish up law school, have the Navy pay for it (I am assuming there is a JAG officer program) and go in as a JAG? You obviously wanted to go down the lawyer path, what has recently changed your mind?

Also does it matter if you are or are not competetive, why should it prevent you from submitting anyways? Submit because you want it, and if you don't get accepted then refresh your game plan and try again. Good luck!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
As it stands..he has a 64.37455555 % chance at acceptance. Should you choose to perform better than marginal on the ASTB...the odds go up approximately 22% (According to FY'08 data). The results for FY'09 acceptance probabilities are not released until OCT '09 when FY'10 starts.

Every letter of recommendation that you add to your kit, your acceptance goes up 3% until you reach 8 LORs (Letters of recommendation). After 8, you chances decrease at an alarming rate of 17 %. Any punctuation or grammar errors in your motivational statement drop your chances at 3% per error, so proof reading is key. This is also dependent on what area of the country you are applying. Texas actually does not count off for spelling,punctuation or felonies for instance.

Good luck.

* This information may or may not be bullshit.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I don't think you have a shot in hell.....wait a second, I heard 4 slots opened up in Pensacola.....better try anyway.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Apples and Oranges... One is USAF and one is Navy/USMC. The only thing useful to you out of the AFOQT is maybe practicing the math problems just to get quicker for time in the ASTB

cpwhit1

Final Select SNFO 07 March 2010
Navycandidate - - - I'm a PGM and PGMC of the Kappa Rho (Boise) chapter of Kappa Sig. I've got similar stats. Applying for the same and I should be on the March board. Good Luck, bro.

navycandidate

Nice, I am in the Mount Pleasant Colony at Central Michigan University.... Thanks and good luck to you too man, let me know how your cycle through the boards goes.

Navycandidate - - - I'm a PGM and PGMC of the Kappa Rho (Boise) chapter of Kappa Sig. I've got similar stats. Applying for the same and I should be on the March board. Good Luck, bro.