• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How competitive are my scores?

DBDubbs

I just took the ASTB and received an 8/8/9 63
I am currently a junior in aerospace engineering at NC State.
My GPA is 3.66/4.00 and my SAT was a 1430.

My academics are strong but my PFT is a little weak. Right now its around a 210-215 (23:00 3-mile, 100 situps, 8-9 pullups). I just started working out with pullups, I could only do like 3 a month ago. I am training a lot, and my PFT is steadily increasing.

I am going to MEPS tommorow at 0500 and my OSO is testing my PFT next friday. I am going to OCS for 6 weeks this summer if everything goes through. I am hoping to get an air contract.

So, I have two questions:

1. Can I get an air contract as of right now (or does my PFT have to be atleast a 225)?

2. And if it does, does it have to be 225 next friday, or will I have another chance to retake it before this summer? (I plan on being well above 225 before I leave.)

Thanks,

FNG

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
You can't contract unless you pass a PFT.

If last year was any indication, you have time. I got contracted the last week of April for PLC-C last summer. Shoot to get your run time to 22 or better by the time you ship, though.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
You have to get a 225 and pass the individual events: 80 crunches, 24:00 run, and I believe 10 or 12 pullups; your OSO would know. I contracted with a 234, the holdup was my run time.

KBayDog

^Just to clarify, 225 may be the minimum "passing" score for OCS.

However, 225 is the minimum score for a First Class PFT for Marines under the age of 27.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
You can always do better.

It's a risk to take it again with a passing score, since if you do worse they keep the new one.

But from all the things people seem to say. It should be fine. Just go look through the stats and scores page and check out people's scores who got selected. (Note: needs of Navy change constantly, so what works now might not in 1 month and what works in 1 month might not work now. It's almost like the lottery.)

Kobyra

nugget81

pilot
kobyra said:
You can always do better.

Yeah, but not by much. Those ASTB scores are very solid. Don't even take a second look at them. Focus on your PFT....

Good Luck!

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
nugget81 said:
Yeah, but not by much. Those ASTB scores are very solid. Don't even take a second look at them. Focus on your PFT....

Good Luck!

Good advice. Most of the guys I've met got picked up with ASTB scores far below what you've got, myself included. You make your money on pullups... once you get to the 15-20 range, the 225 just materializes. The running is important in terms of being competitive at OCS, but they will build you up as you move through the POI. You can improve your PFT score until the board meets, even after submitting your package. I ran a 260 the week they convened, which was a significant improvement. My OSO made sure the new score got to the board, and I was off to Quantico in June. You seem like you're on the right track. Like Nugget said, get the PFT up- the rest looks solid. Good luck
SD