• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How can I make myself competitive for aviation/do I even have a chance?

Gustafel

OP, if I may ask, why Marines? I'd take a look at all the services aviation programs.
I have been.

The Air Force I’ve mostly heard either that I don’t have a chance and can go **** myself or I’ve gotten generic responses saying to get flight hours, etc.

The Navy was my first choice but they’ve got the legendary backlog at pensacola and my local OSO isn’t even taking new applicants.

The Army is fine and I actually have a buddy who’s a NG aviation warrant and he says just say the word and he’ll get me a spot. According to him they’re crazy undermanned. It’s an option, but I really want to take a stab at jets.

The Marine recruiter I talked to was actually the coolest. Plus a lot of my friends are marines, I don’t know. Just seems like the place. Plus, the marines get the best uniforms, and aviation all being equal that counts for something.

Gustafel

For Navy programs: In addition to losing weight, your abdominal circumference needs to be under 39 inches. You can be over the weight for your height if your AC is well under 39. Target 37 to be safe.
I’m 5’5”. My pants in high school were 36/30 and just a little on the big side, and I was not particularly athletic or small back then.

Gustafel

Depending on how involved and motivated your OSO and OSO team is, they'll help you get in shape, but you're going to have to put in the work. You also don't want to show up to OCS performing at the bare minimum. When I say you need to be in the best shape of your life, I mean that.

Age waivers are given pretty readily it seems.. that doesn't mean you'll get one, but it's not impossible.

In the meantime, your best bet is to rock the ASTB. There's plenty of ASTB gouge and books and info out on the internet and on this site (use the search function). If you max the ASTB or get high scores, it's hard for selection boards to ignore that.

For rec letters, I'd say it's better to get them from people that actually know you. I'm sure people on here would disagree, but I never felt comfortable seeking out individuals that maybe had the rank or title but didn't know me or worked with me at all.

Also, I want to add some clarity for your timeline just because you are a bit older. You'll go to OCS (10 weeks) and then TBS (6 months). You'll then show up to Pensacola and wait god knows how long to even start NIFE (I had a 7 month wait) I did API, I'm not sure how long the new NIFE program is taking (I'm assuming a couple months). After that you'll have 3-7 months before primary (primary took me 6 months to get through....other guys it took 10 months)...then you have another 2 month wait until you start advanced. helos took 10 months to get through. jets are taking anywhere from 10-16 months).. then you have the FRS..6-8 months for helos and 12-18 for jets. THEN you hit the fleet. It's ridiculous, but that's just the reality right now. Something to think about. There's nothing wrong with looking at your options in different branches as well.
Sounds like a lot of time spent flying, which is okay by me. What do you do in all that down time? Having nothing to do might get boring but if there’s something to do it wouldn’t be so bad.

Gustafel

Are you otherwise athletic? A powerlifter?

You need that HARD shock to the status quo. A before and after moment. If you've got a month, I'd go do at least a two week unsupported (you bring your food with you) backpacking trip somewhere rigorous. Big miles and vertical footage each day. No visit to Denny's. Nothing blowtorches the lard and makes you tough as a Sherpa like carrying your 40 LB house on your back 20 miles each day. It would kickstart the new life of being a PT machine.

How bad do you want it?

Best of luck!
Not at all. I was captain of my college fencing team, but that was years ago. For practical purposes I’m starting from scratch.

I’m taking it as a plus, because if I can get up to some solid numbers of pushups by the time I get to 200-210 I figure I’ll be a pushup king by the time I hit 160.

I actually like the hiking idea. I’m not much of a camper, but I live in a really hilly area, so filling a backpack with rocks twice a day and just hiking around has been pretty good.

Powerlifting is something I thought about getting into but I’m more interested in martial arts/airsoft/paintball. As soon as I start my new job I found a local BJJ dojo with classes every day after I get off.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I have been.

The Air Force I’ve mostly heard either that I don’t have a chance and can go **** myself or I’ve gotten generic responses saying to get flight hours, etc.

The Navy was my first choice but they’ve got the legendary backlog at pensacola and my local OSO isn’t even taking new applicants.

The Army is fine and I actually have a buddy who’s a NG aviation warrant and he says just say the word and he’ll get me a spot. According to him they’re crazy undermanned. It’s an option, but I really want to take a stab at jets.

The Marine recruiter I talked to was actually the coolest. Plus a lot of my friends are marines, I don’t know. Just seems like the place. Plus, the marines get the best uniforms, and aviation all being equal that counts for something.

Honestly, I think you may need to rethink your options. It sounds like your pushing the age limit and may not make the cut academically (Not sure how much of a premium the Marines put on technical degrees). The question I would ask myself is "Will I ONLY be happy flying jets or will I be happy flying anything for the military?" The Marines usually don't have as many pilot spots as other services and fewer jet spots. The odds are stacked against you. I would advise being realistic. I've never known any military pilot who hated the aircraft they flew or hated their job in the air.

Reactions: RJS