• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How can I make myself competitive for aviation/do I even have a chance?

Gustafel

Hi everyone, first time posting in this part of the forum. I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even notice the USMC section until now. I'll dive right in: I want to go in as an aviator and the USMC is my first choice. I'm currently 27 and turn 28 later this year. Why I've waited so long is a long story that's not actually important. Here's my basic info

GPA-3.0 in music (you may laugh)
ASTB-N/A as I'm still working to meet weight standards
Weight: currently 5'5" and 240 lbs, down from 265

I read that the marine corps air contract age limit is 26. Has that changed with the Navy's new SNA age limit, or is there any hope of me getting an age waiver if not?

After that, I expect it to take a year or more to meet weight standards. I called the Officer recruiting station for my area and got a cool infantry Ssgt who said it's not impossible, but they usually only get 1 or 2 aviation spots a year, and with the backlog at Pensacola who knows what the future holds. So while I'm losing the weight I want to do whatever I can to make myself competitive for one of those spots.

So what else could I do besides getting in the best shape I can? Could I try and hunt down a Marine pilot and try and convince them to give me a recommendation? Would recommendations from pilots in other services make any difference? Flying hours?

Advice is appreciated.

RoarkJr.

Looks like you have 70 lbs to lose, which isn’t impossible, but you also need to show that you can make it through OCS. Not a great time for you if things are slowing down for the moment on top of that (if true).

Good luck, get after it. You have a long road ahead. Maybe try to decide on a plan b, USMC ground if offered or aviation elsewhere.

Gustafel

Yeah, the weight is going to be the biggest hurdle. Right now I'm focusing on modified calisthenics because I figure any bodyweight stuff I can do at my current weight should grow exponentially when I'm 70+ pounds lighter.

Aviation through another service is my preferred option, but if I fail 3 selections in a row I'll look at a USMC ground contract. Whatever happens, any delays are just more time for me to train, study, and prepare.

The2ndworst

I would contact a recruiter and try to take the ASTB while slimming down. I started the process of trying to be a NFO in December of last year when I weighed 300lb. I let my recruiter know I was losing weight and that it would take a few months to get to MEPs shape for MEPs. He encouraged me to start the process and scheduled me for the ASTB in January. Since then I’ve lost 60lbs and got most of my package put together. Not sure how it is for Marines, but for Navy even if you are over the weight limit you can get passed if you pass the tape test. Which for me was about 245 lbs.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You need to come up with a plan to keep that weight off for 20+ years once you meet your goal.

The USMC has no problem separating fat bodies. Folks who lost the weight to go to bootcamp/OCS seemed to always gain it back within a couple of years. Don't be that guy.

StaciMo

pilot
Depending on how involved and motivated your OSO and OSO team is, they'll help you get in shape, but you're going to have to put in the work. You also don't want to show up to OCS performing at the bare minimum. When I say you need to be in the best shape of your life, I mean that.

Age waivers are given pretty readily it seems.. that doesn't mean you'll get one, but it's not impossible.

In the meantime, your best bet is to rock the ASTB. There's plenty of ASTB gouge and books and info out on the internet and on this site (use the search function). If you max the ASTB or get high scores, it's hard for selection boards to ignore that.

For rec letters, I'd say it's better to get them from people that actually know you. I'm sure people on here would disagree, but I never felt comfortable seeking out individuals that maybe had the rank or title but didn't know me or worked with me at all.

Also, I want to add some clarity for your timeline just because you are a bit older. You'll go to OCS (10 weeks) and then TBS (6 months). You'll then show up to Pensacola and wait god knows how long to even start NIFE (I had a 7 month wait) I did API, I'm not sure how long the new NIFE program is taking (I'm assuming a couple months). After that you'll have 3-7 months before primary (primary took me 6 months to get through....other guys it took 10 months)...then you have another 2 month wait until you start advanced. helos took 10 months to get through. jets are taking anywhere from 10-16 months).. then you have the FRS..6-8 months for helos and 12-18 for jets. THEN you hit the fleet. It's ridiculous, but that's just the reality right now. Something to think about. There's nothing wrong with looking at your options in different branches as well.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You need to come up with a plan to keep that weight off for 20+ years once you meet your goal.

The USMC has no problem separating fat bodies. Folks who lost the weight to go to bootcamp/OCS seemed to always gain it back within a couple of years. Don't be that guy.
Funny…I went to boot camp as a bit of a tubby, they painted a red line on my shirt, and magically by the end of boot I was a lot slimmer! Managed to keep (most) of it off for years and years. I knew one kid at San Diego who voluntarily stayed in the Physical Conditioning Platoon (Fat Bodies) for an extra 8 weeks to drop close to 100 pounds!

mwills71

OP, if I may ask, why Marines? I'd take a look at all the services aviation programs.
Probably schooling. I've looked into it and talked to pilots and they're education requirements aren't as strict as the Air Force or Navy (Ik for a fact they're not as strict as the AF but the Navy is pretty strict on most things so i'de assume so)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Also, I want to add some clarity for your timeline just because you are a bit older. You'll go to OCS (10 weeks) and then TBS (6 months). You'll then show up to Pensacola and wait god knows how long to even start NIFE (I had a 7 month wait) I did API, I'm not sure how long the new NIFE program is taking (I'm assuming a couple months). After that you'll have 3-7 months before primary (primary took me 6 months to get through....other guys it took 10 months)...then you have another 2 month wait until you start advanced. helos took 10 months to get through. jets are taking anywhere from 10-16 months).. then you have the FRS..6-8 months for helos and 12-18 for jets. THEN you hit the fleet. It's ridiculous, but that's just the reality right now. Something to think about. There's nothing wrong with looking at your options in different branches as well.

Unless things have changed in more recent years, I believe the age limits are "commissioned by" age XX. I was slightly older than my peers, and hit the fleet as an O-3 10+ years ago due to similar time-to-train delays. Hasn't ever been a huge deal for me.

taxi1

pilot
Weight: currently 5'5" and 240 lbs, down from 265
Are you otherwise athletic? A powerlifter?

You need that HARD shock to the status quo. A before and after moment. If you've got a month, I'd go do at least a two week unsupported (you bring your food with you) backpacking trip somewhere rigorous. Big miles and vertical footage each day. No visit to Denny's. Nothing blowtorches the lard and makes you tough as a Sherpa like carrying your 40 LB house on your back 20 miles each day. It would kickstart the new life of being a PT machine.

How bad do you want it?

Best of luck!

The2ndworst

Are you otherwise athletic? A powerlifter?

You need that HARD shock to the status quo. A before and after moment. If you've got a month, I'd go do at least a two week unsupported (you bring your food with you) backpacking trip somewhere rigorous. Big miles and vertical footage each day. No visit to Denny's. Nothing blowtorches the lard and makes you tough as a Sherpa like carrying your 40 LB house on your back 20 miles each day. It would kickstart the new life of being a PT machine.

How bad do you want it?

Best of luck!
If you have camping/hiking skills definitely agree here. Even if you can’t do a full month, a good extended weekend of backpacking will drop a small chunk. Just got back from a trip in the blue ridge mountains and dropped like 5lbs in like three days .

Gustafel

Somehow I never got notifications for this thread and never thought to check back until now. I’ll be replying in order of reply.

Gustafel

I’ve thought a lot about this comment. Getting the weight off is easy, keeping it off will be hard. Especially over the course of 10 or so years. I honestly don’t have the qualifications to know how to do that right now. Just one more thing I’ll have to learn. Maybe in a second degree or something…

Either way, I’m looking for a career, so I’ll need to come up with something.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
For Navy programs: In addition to losing weight, your abdominal circumference needs to be under 39 inches. You can be over the weight for your height if your AC is well under 39. Target 37 to be safe.