• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How big is everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
Just curious to know about my competition at OCS this summer. I'm 5'8" and weigh 150. From looking at the pics online at ocs.usmc.mil, looks like every one is taller and "buffer" than I am. Is this true? Holla and give some stats. Thanks guys!

-Every Challenge Could Have Paradise Behind It-

kevin

this may sound trite, but how big you are is irrelevant. personally, my opinion is that you are competing against yourself. when you do a pullup or pushup, it doesnt matter how big the people are around you, it matters how easily you lift yourself. and everyone has their vices. skinny people have an inherently easier time running (physics and physiology) but it doesnt mean big people cant run just as fast or faster, they just have to work at it. i am sub 5'8" and close to 190, and being a weightlifter means i have to put more effort and concentration into endurance training. and as for fighting, if it ever came to that and you're concerned, watch one of the greatest fighters of all time, royce gracie (6', 180lbs). good luck.

kevin

this may sound trite, but how big you are is irrelevant. personally, my opinion is that you are competing against yourself. when you do a pullup or pushup, it doesnt matter how big the people are around you, it matters how easily you lift yourself. and everyone has their vices. skinny people have an inherently easier time running (physics and physiology) but it doesnt mean big people cant run just as fast or faster, they just have to work at it. i am sub 5'8" and close to 190, and being a weightlifter means i have to put more effort and concentration into endurance training. and as for fighting, if it ever came to that and you're concerned, watch one of the greatest fighters of all time, royce gracie (6', 180lbs). good luck.

Jeremy

I'm 5'7" 170 packed muscle (what can I say...I'm a Sergeant in the marines waiting to goto OCS). Marines teach you to love being strong and the gyms are unbelievable on base. Don't worry about your size, there will be a lot bigger and a lot smaller. Pencil necks and beefcakes all alike. Marines come in all shapes and sizes so don't sweat it. Just have fun and enjoy that everyone is suffereing with you together as a team/unit/family. Brotherhood...devil dogs...Marines ;)

Citizen

I've seen 300 PFTers that could give Rambo a run for his money, and those whose biceps are barely bigger than my forearms but could perform just as well. Yeah, smaller guys seem to have an easier time with the run, but there's nothing that can't be achieved with practice and sweat.

I'm one of the bigger guys, (6'4" and 210lbs.) and a obsessive gym addict to boot, to answer your question. But don't be intimidated, what'll get you through lies above the shoulders.

topher1235

I'm one of those small 300 PFTers, 5'7" 150. I don't know if I'd consider any particular "size" an advantage, Citizen hit the nail on the head.

jaerose

Although I'm a Navy guy, I'm a bigger guy too. Everyone's right about the sizes, they're not going to be that important. I'm 5'9" and about 210...I too am packed with muscle, although I'm carrying a bit more soft stuff than I like. Yes, I can do push-ups and sit-ups like mad, but running is more stressful for those of us who carry more weight. I go to OCS in August, so running is going to be the majority of my focus. I'm also going to try and get down below the weight limit for my height, but with my current lean mass that would put me under 5% bodyfat (although I'm sure to lose some muscle...drat!). I'm sure you'll do great...just run circles around the big guys. And for fighting...dance until they punch themselves out, then go for the kill. Another great light fighter...Bruce Lee...or Roy Jones, Jr. (although he bumps up in weight...pound for pound probably the best).

JR

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
cool, thanks for the info guys, that makes me feel better about this summer. The thing that made me mention it was this picture of these guys carrying this huge log, and some of this muscular guys had very strained faces, so it scared me a bit. But you're all right, its above the shoulders where we are really tested. 50% leadership skills

-Every Challenge Could Have Paradise Behind It-

tali264

*giggles*

Well that's not something to brag about
icon_smile_wink.gif

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
You'll have a strained face while carrying the log if you're tall like me. It's like you're carrying the whole damn thing yourself! If you're 5'8" the log probably won't beat you as bad.

jaerose

I think tali has a thing for big hands...

The short guys will also have to strain if they're in the back, or front while the tall guys are at the opposite ends...it will make it hellish for everyone. What practical application will we get from carrying logs anyhow? Are we going to BUDS or OCS?

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.