• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How badly do you want a CHAT option?

Do you want a chat program on the site?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, need some input from everyone on the forum. As mentioned in the title, how badly do you want to have an online chat option available to forum members? Waaayyy back when we had a functioning chat, and it saw alot of activity. The reason I am asking, is that I have a couple of options available to me, and I want to get a feel for its use. The base option is a php powered chat, that just "refreshes" periodically. A higher end alternative is a hosted java chat that I can tie in to the forum database.

Thoughts?

John

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmmm....depends. How badly do you want to put it up?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Honestly, right now, not much energy to add anything else to the forum. This last week of fighting the forum, and getting it moved over sapped it out of me, just happy to see it up online. whew!

But, you know me, I like to tinker around with code, and .....

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't use the chat very frequently, but when I did use it I thought it was great. The only bad thing is when too many people are chatting at once - hard to keep up with the conversation. It's a great way to get the information you need without having to wait around. I definitely think it's worth adding if it doesn't take all that much effort. Like I said, I didn't use it too often. I don't think it's crucial if it takes lots of time to set up. It seems like there's so much traffic on the site these days that info is pretty easy to come by.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I tried to use the chat option once, and I got "stuck" in it and could use it. So for my $0.02 if you don't have the time, don't worry about it, most people have AIM or ICQ if they really want to chat live.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that the current system is good there are threads people can refernce numerous times. I think chat might get clobbered by bots and other crap too.

I liked it because it would hopefully eliminate some of the non reference posts that get made for those who just want to chat about grievances and such. Sometimes it's nice to just vent and be done with it ; rather than recording it in history as posts seemed to do. Also like ben said just to get a quick answer vs having to wait around. Keeping the posts strictly for useful information is ideal Make sense?
Thanks for asking and offering the option.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I don't want to talk to any of you! GRRRRR!!!! ! ARG!!!!!!!!!

somebody please chat with me, i'm sooo lonely!

But i've got lights to study....

3P board, yeah baby!

enough random rants...

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
PropStop said:
I don't want to talk to any of you! GRRRRR!!!! ! ARG!!!!!!!!!

somebody please chat with me, i'm sooo lonely!

But i've got lights to study....

3P board, yeah baby!

enough random rants...

I'd chat with ya, but your not here for me to chat with you!!!!

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
EngineGirl said:
I'd chat with ya, but your not here for me to chat with you!!!!

:( because i went to study lights. but now i'm taking a break, but then it is off to EP's.

here's my gripe for the day. If it don't have an asterisk, why the hell do i need to memorize it? this natops needs to have more asterisk so lazy *$&@s like me will not b!tch about having to memorize things.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
skidkid said:
I think that the current system is good there are threads people can refernce numerous times. I think chat might get clobbered by bots and other crap too.
Well everytime I have had a chat room, no bots have ever been around, we are too small of a target, and I am not using a main IM or Chat service.

HrntDrvrsWife said:
I liked it because it would hopefully eliminate some of the non reference posts that get made for those who just want to chat about grievances and such. Sometimes it's nice to just vent and be done with it ; rather than recording it in history as posts seemed to do. Also like ben said just to get a quick answer vs having to wait around. Keeping the posts strictly for useful information is ideal Make sense?
Thanks for asking and offering the option.
Well, I think you both have a point about the threads. Over the last 4+ years, when chat has been up and successful, there have been MANY times when it had 10+ ppl in it. Alot of the conversation doesn't necessarily lend itself to the same thread posts, though a number of conversations were quite informative.

My thoughts on the "ideal" chatroom, would have:

- Online indicator at the top of the forum to show who is using it
- A main chat room, and lets say 2 sub rooms
- Main chat room is logged to a text file for ppl to read
- Tied in with the username mgmt of the forum, no guests allowed

I have yet to find a 100% solution to the above, the last one I tried was the closest, but they have yet to solve the online indicator portion.

Also, working with the some other behind the scenes stuff, there has been discussion about hosted chat sessions or themed forum threads with prominent naval aviation figures. That is the goal I am working and preparing for.

propstop said:
because i went to study lights. but now i'm taking a break, but then it is off to EP's.

here's my gripe for the day. If it don't have an asterisk, why the hell do i need to memorize it? this natops needs to have more asterisk so lazy *$&@s like me will not b!tch about having to memorize things.
Prop procedure: GO!

Seriously, hopefully the movement to stay away from weeds and minutae continues to take affect, and you won't have to memorize all of Chapters 4-12, and of course the wonderful Job Aid (aid my ass)...

The best advice I can give, is know WHY you are doing something, ie "switchology". Great if you can regurgitate the procedure, light or warning, expect that at the 3P level. But as you progress to 2P and beyond, you need to know the system, and what/why you are doing that, and the implications. My 2 cents.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
i'm the first guy to go through our new 3p board. I'm curious to see how it will go. The verbatim lights is not much fun, but i've finally gotten it mostly down. Now it is just working on NWC on the EP's. It never stops being fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.