• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How bad would it look if you took Algebra after Calculus?

JoeLight

This summer semester I have 4 higher level Computer Engineering courses which will be challenging. I need to add 3 more classes on top of these to be eligible to apply for the board by the end of August. I was thinking I could do Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Intro to programming logic. That way I can reasonably complete all courses with A's with maybe a B or 2. In any case, it would guarantee my GPA will be > 2.5 by the end of August.

My only concern is how bad would it look to the board seeing someone who completed all the Calculus classes / higher level classes go back to do freshman courses?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This summer semester I have 4 higher level Computer Engineering courses which will be challenging. I need to add 3 more classes on top of these to be eligible to apply for the board by the end of August. I was thinking I could do Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and Intro to programming logic. That way I can reasonably complete all courses with A's with maybe a B or 2. In any case, it would guarantee my GPA will be > 2.5 by the end of August.

My only concern is how bad would it look to the board seeing someone who completed all the Calculus classes / higher level classes go back to do freshman courses?

What did your recruiter say?

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot

For what it is worth, the highest level math in my package/transcript was Trigonometry from Junior year of high school so the whole package concept is really what the board be looking for.

JoeLight

What did your recruiter say?
I've tried contacting my local NRD again today. Once again they asked me a set of questions and told me I'd be contacted back within a couple of hours. As with my previous phone calls, I was not contacted. I take it they're probably not interested in me with my low GPA.

So I suppose I don't have a recruiter...yet? The best advise and answers I've gotten were all from AW! ^^

AFUAW

pilot
I think if they did scrutinize your transcript they might wonder why an Engineering major is taking high school level math classes in his senior year of college. Maybe find something else to boost your GPA.

JoeLight

I think if they did scrutinize your transcript they might wonder why an Engineering major is taking high school level math classes in his senior year of college. Maybe find something else to boost your GPA.
Thanks for your input!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Never took anything above business math. I have a hard time believing anyone is delving that deeply into your record. They WILL see your overall GPA. Anyone here that has actually been on an OCS board can refute my statement, but I'd worry more about GPA than course load.

exNavyOffRec

I've tried contacting my local NRD again today. Once again they asked me a set of questions and told me I'd be contacted back within a couple of hours. As with my previous phone calls, I was not contacted. I take it they're probably not interested in me with my low GPA.

So I suppose I don't have a recruiter...yet? The best advise and answers I've gotten were all from AW! ^^

very possibly until you get your GPA up to qualifying you won't get much response.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Don't think it'll matter all too much...

Look at the Army and Marine Corps programs as well. They don't seem to have the addiction to high GPA STEM majors that the Navy tends to. If you go Army Warrant you don't even need a degree so that'd just be icing on the cake.

TheBirdy

pilot
My undergrad GPA was literally .03 above the min for SNA, and that was after taking some basket weaving classes to boost it. You've got 5 years till the cutoff for SNA. I'd say once you're at 2.5+ regardless of what classes you take, apply and see what happens. You have a stellar ASTB so that works in your favor. If you get rejected, pick up a Masters, keep the GPA for that degree way up and reapply. YMMV, but it worked for me.

Last edited:

JoeLight

Thanks all! I recently completed a few more courses ahead of schedule (online classes). So my GPA is a 2.3 now. Got a little bit more to go and I'm gonna give the board a shot!

All the input helps very much in deciding the next batch of courses I need to sign up for. They will start around April.

CAMike

None
Contributor
How bad would it look you ask? It "appears" that you would be sand bagging your GPA. Fat Leonard was a sand bagger and he took down a lot of decent performing Officers with him. It's a decision disease that spreads quickly. Sandbagging always ends up the same way eventually. No Bueno.

Pags

N/A
pilot
How bad would it look you ask? It "appears" that you would be sand bagging your GPA. Fat Leonard was a sand bagger and he took down a lot of decent performing Officers with him. It's a decision disease that spreads quickly. Sandbagging always ends up the same way eventually. No Bueno.
Not sure that's sandbagging.

exNavyOffRec

Unless he is going nuke or CEC they don't look at the transcripts, just the overall GPA