• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How Are Mustangs Viewed In the Officers Ranks?

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
from the Navy Mustang Association...
What is the definition of a "Mustang?"
The NMA has committed a lot time into researching the definition of a "Mustang" Officer and the best combined definition from several sources is an Officer promoting from the ranks of Navy enlisted personnel with no interruption in their active duty status. It is also accepted the Mustang Officer normally was a career intended enlisted member of the Navy having earned one or more Good Conduct Medals prior to commissioning.

Anecdotal shit...
Interestingly, Mustangs had a seperate mess on the boat, to their detriment.
When I inquired about membership, I was rebuffed b/c I was a URL and "only" a prior AW2 with 8 yrs enlisted time.
The funny part was, there were more prior-e URL's running around than members of the Mustang mess.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
from the Navy Mustang Association...
What is the definition of a "Mustang?"
The NMA has committed a lot time into researching the definition of a "Mustang" Officer and the best combined definition from several sources is an Officer promoting from the ranks of Navy enlisted personnel with no interruption in their active duty status. It is also accepted the Mustang Officer normally was a career intended enlisted member of the Navy having earned one or more Good Conduct Medals prior to commissioning.

Anecdotal shit...
Interestingly, Mustangs had a seperate mess on the boat, to their detriment.
When I inquired about membership, I was rebuffed b/c I was a URL and "only" a prior AW2 with 8 yrs enlisted time.
The funny part was, there were more prior-e URL's running around than members of the Mustang mess.

Crap, I was a civi for a year and a half before getting picked up, that takes me out of the Mustang category I guess:confused:

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I don't consider myself mustang, but some of my fellow priors did while at OCS. Most of them were MECEP Sergeants or above. Their main issue was that they would constantly take over for persons that were already in billets because "they knew best". This would end up screwing over other candidates hardcore. I didn't like to see it happen and butted heads with them on a number of occassions.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Okay, you have decided you hate PINTO.

This post has been saved, and will be forwarded to all further commands.

And no, a prior COD Flight Attendant turned Stickmonkey is NOT that hard to find.

Congrats PINTO.

He should have known better. The more you resist a callsign, the more likely it is gonna stick. I know because it happened to me.

trvsmrtn

pilot
I've got 9 1/2 years enlisted time, but I've never considered myself a mustang, mostly because of the confusion as to what a mustang is. As a prior I do take it upon myself to try to pass on some of my experience to some of the non-prior types, when appropriate. I also get referred to for questions from other JOs, both studs here at the FRS and instructors. I would hope that most priors would do the same as opposed to thinking anyone owes them anything. Of course I also get joked on alot for being the old man among the students, but I just smile and remind myself that this old man is eligible to retire in 7 more years at the ripe old age of 38.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't really care about being the whole Mustang bit. It is interesting to hear what the different "requirements" are, as my great uncle (a former HMC turned chaplain during the 60's and 70's) constantly refers to me as such, and I'm nowhere near the time limits some listed.

Anyways, just to mirror the rest of the comments, it's all just dependent on how you act, being prior doesn't mean jack if your a POS.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Last year met a Plebe at USNA, prior E-3 with less than one year service. While he was still a Plebe he declared himself a "Mustang". I did check and indeed he was still wet behind the ears.

That's the most pretentious thing I ever read here. How long could that have possibly went on before the big blow up?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Okay, you have decided you hate PINTO.

This post has been saved, and will be forwarded to all further commands.

And no, a prior COD Flight Attendant turned Stickmonkey is NOT that hard to find.

Congrats PINTO.

I mean, PINTO, that has a rather nice ring to it:eek: