• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

how and what to pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

gin_e

when arriving at ocs what sort of things should you have in your bag that you check in with? what should go in the bag that gets confiscated for later? and what has to go in the car and not ever be seen? (like a sleeping bag/blanket, flashlight, cell phone, extra running shoes, walkman, alarm clock, a lighter, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc)

what do you have to hide in your room during inspection - and how do you hide it?

i've read that for marine ocs putting things in zip lock bags is a good idea, does this help with navy ocs?

what are the essential items that aren't listed on the packing list, especially for women?

if you bring two pairs of civilian clothes do these need to be nice clothes? should you look sharp when you show up or what?

0ctopus

Okay, here's my approach to packing:

A lot I'm drawing on my experience with the Marines, so I'm hoping things aren't too different with the Navy.

I'm putting things in plastic bags. When I was at Marine OCS we needed plastic bags for humps. You had to put a lot of stuff in your knapsack that you just didn't want to get wet. I don't think there are humps at Navy OCS, but regardless plastic bags are always useful. For example, they say you have to have gouge books all the time. If you're sticking that thing in your pocket or sock it's going to get sweaty and nasty. That's what happened to my Marine gouge book. Well, thee fact that I dropped it in the toilet when I was cleaning didn't help. But anyway, I'd put it in a baggie to keep it dry.

I'll tell you one thing that I'm planning on bringing that I think is essential - Biore face wipes. You're sweating all the time and these things you can just whip out and whipe your face with really quick before doing the next evolution. I say the same thing about those single-package hand whipes and Purell. Bandaids are great as is foot powder, bug spray, and hand lotion if you have room. Some old nylons are the best to shine shoes quickly with. A nail clipper can also help with Irish Penants. Bring like a colorful notebook to write letters in or something. You would be amazed how just that little bit of color can sort of lighten your mood. Notecards if that helps you study. Um, and a permanent marker - in case you need to put your name on your clothes. Sometimes they issue ones that just wash off or fade. I think I'm just going to use spray-in conditioner because it's quicker and with short hair I won't need much anyway.

BUT after all that, I'd pack as lightly as possible because you'll be hauling all that stuff around. As much as you can put in your car I would. I personally would rather do without then get yelled at. I'm not packing like 3 whole months worth of tampons because you'll get a chance to buy more. In fact, I'm doing away with huge bottles shampoo usually comes in and putting what I need in smaller travel size containers because with short hair, I'm just not going to use that much. Econo-size = being able to move faster = less DI in your face.

I don't know about inspections for the Navy. I think the Navy MTT they check everything - foot locker, wall locker, etc. They did that once in the Marines and we hid extra stuff under the trays of our foot lockers. There's trays on top which we all arranged and then underneath is just a huge space for whatever. And we just piled all sorts of stuff in there. Also, I'm sure you get to put stuff in your car or seabag from home if you need a place for extra stuff. But I don't know for sure.

I'm not sure what I will be showing up in. "Appropriate civilian clothes" - that could mean anything. ???

Good luck,

-Becky-

phrogs

Whatever you pack, whatever you buy when you get there, and everything they give you has to go with you everytime you move. I moved at least 6 times in Navy OCS. As far as hiding stuff. As long as your locker is locked, nobody "should" mess with your stuff. When it comes time for inspections, only the minimum stuff that you have to have will be in your locker and room. (less stuff to inspect, less to get hit on) There will be a place to put your "non inspectables" Your whole class will be finding hiding places for these things, and the upper classes will help. Don't worry, you'll be given a chance to get the things you need. It might be a while,(about a week) before they let you speed shop for the necessities, but you'll be given the chance. Oh by the way, if you REALLY need something legitimatly especially female stuff, have it brought up to one of the Candy 0's. They'll understand. They were in your shoes just 12 weeks before you. Remember IT'S ONLY A SHORT COUPLE OF MONTHS. Dont sweat the small stuff, adapt and overcome, and it'll all be worth it in the end. Good luck

Phrogs 4 Ever!!!!

phrogs

Oh yeah,
idea_125.gif
"Appropriate civilian clothes" I think what they mean is Dont show up in a tube or tank top. Shorts are OK if it's warm, just not "Daisy Duke's" or miniskirts. I would say something that goes with your running shoes so you can wear instead of carry them. You won't be wearing any "civies" until your done with OCS.

Phrogs 4 Ever!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.