• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing with Follow On Orders

CIWSGOD

pilot
Hi! We have a 3/2 Single family home that just became available for rent this weekend. Our military renters just moved. Its 2 minutes from Whiting. If you are interested in seeing any pics or information, let me know. Thanks!

Whitingorbust

Looking at what he wrote here, he didn't have follow ons to Whiting, but was expecting them, if you already have orders to Whiting prior to signing a ease, that could create some tension when trying to break the lease.

That's what I was wondering with my original post, whether already having follow-on orders would effect trying to get out of a lease. Is there anywhere to call and get a clear answer to this? Housing office maybe?

BourneID

pilot
That's what I was wondering with my original post, whether already having follow-on orders would effect trying to get out of a lease. Is there anywhere to call and get a clear answer to this? Housing office maybe?

Housing office/ Legal could probably give you the best answer. I know if I were a homeowner, and ou moved into my place in Pensacola already having follow ons to Whiting, I would not be cool about breaking the Lease. I am also known to be a dickhead though, so that has something to do with it.

The Phiz

pilot
I am currently in IFS right now, and living in Milton.

Is it possible to work out a deal where you can get stashed at Whiting Field during the wait so I am not driving every morning to muster and just turning around and driving home?

It is possible. I have a buddy that did his own legwork to get stashed at Whiting recently. Just don't expect to be given a job on a platter, ask around the specific squadrons, things like PAO, Legal, and whatnot.

If you talk to the IFS office and explain that your family lives in Milton you can request to do IFS in milton which cuts out about 3-5 weeks worth of driving far.

I went to them and explained my situation, and they gave me IFS in Milton. Now I drive to NASP once a week, and drive 8 minutes to the IFS School every day. Makes life much easier! And since I live so close, I always get called if my instructor has a cancellation. IFS is freaking awesome because of the 8 minute drive. If the schedule is backed up you can go home for an hour or two and come back, as opposed to the people that live in PCola, and have a 50 minute drive each way.

From what I have heard from my friends in API, its not too bad driving from Milton. I think the earliest muster I have heard of was 7 AM, which means leaving Milton at about 6AM to be safe.

I also heard the wait times are low right now, so 6ish weeks in API < 6 Month Primary. Of course thats my $0.02.

Whitingorbust

Thanks for the info, after asking around and with the advice in this thread I have pretty much decided to go ahead and live in Milton and make the trek to API and A-pool. I figure I will check out a few houses in Milton and take a look at Whiting Pines. What is the word on folks being forced to live in Whiting Pines? I am debating living there vs. out in town, but if I have to live there anyway it may not be worth taking leave to do house hunting.

efn1221

Quick question ya'll. If I live in the BOQ at Pensacola will I rate a TMO once I'm completely done with Flight School? I don't want to keep moving my crap if I don't have to and my girlfriend and her friend are livign in my house in Columbia. Any info would be appreciated.

Whitingorbust

Just wanted to update on the housing situation for those going to Whiting for primary/advanced. I called STUCON at NASWF the other day and was told that they are not requiring folks to live on board anymore, apparently they weren't allowed to force studs to live on base so I don't know why it says so in everyones orders. I am still debating whether its worth living in Whiting Pines, but at least I know I have a choice now. Is there still a lot of families living in WP or has it dwindled with the lower cost of housing out in town?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just wanted to update on the housing situation for those going to Whiting for primary/advanced. I called STUCON at NASWF the other day and was told that they are not requiring folks to live on board anymore, apparently they weren't allowed to force studs to live on base so I don't know why it says so in everyones orders. I am still debating whether its worth living in Whiting Pines, but at least I know I have a choice now. Is there still a lot of families living in WP or has it dwindled with the lower cost of housing out in town?

You'll be surrounded by studs, both single and family, and be a block away from beer and booze.... even on sunday when all of Milton is dry. I liked it, but if that doesn't sound appealing to you, then go elsewhere. The house I lived in was huge compared to my tiny apt in corpus too. Old, and kinda crappy, but BIG.

sfrankie08

pilot
Don't live in the BOQ in Pensacola.. you will pay more than your BAH to live there and you can find cheap places (houses) out the back gate (a 7 minute drive from my door to bldg 633) Save your money and live out in town.

As for Whiting Pines, I also heard the stopped making people live there a few weeks ago.

ThreeGreen

pilot
Honestly, the wife and I run into people on the streets or back yard every weekend. Kind of a nice place to hang out since the kids are sleeping only 100' away... The only complaint so far is that the pool is closed for the season, and the little ones really liked it. They really like the park too though, and I think it's open all the time. We were pleasantly surprised at the number of families here.

Whitingorbust

The wife and I decided to go ahead and live in Whiting Pines, figured it would be the best place especially for acclimating my family to the Navy. Does anyone know who I contact to discuss moving down there? I have seen a few different numbers on different sites and was not sure which one to call. I was also wondering what housing Studs rate in there as I have two dependents and no prior service.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Each choice has its ups and downs. There WILL be other people in your API class and A-pool who live in the Pines. You can carpool, and when API comes around you can have a study group. Second, and this is actually more important when you are deployed, is that your wife's support structure is right there. When you live off base the neighbors think they know what you're going through, but they really never will no matter how hard they try.