• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing in Whiting

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
So I thought I was going to be able to pull off a switch to Corpus but it didn't fly... meaning I get to move to Whiting in ~2 weeks.

Does anyone out there have any advice as to what places rock/suck?

Also how many non-married folks are stationed at / going to Whiting? I kind of got the impression Corpus was far better if you're flying solo and that Whiting is deader than shit.:(

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Milton in general sucks. You will be going back to P-cola to go out. I sucked it up and lived in the Q for Primary; P-cola's maybe a 15-20 minute drive IIRC, but great to be on base for early early briefs. To this day I have always stayed close to base for that very reason. That said, I knew lots of guys that lived in Governor's Gate or other places on the north side of town and made the Highway 90 commute every day.

Had one buddy who got together with 2 other guys and rented a pretty cool house on the water just off the I-10 exit. I think that's probably the only ticket if you want to live closer than Pensacola. I looked at apartments up there and there was only one decent place I found; can't remember the name though. It was a gray complex on the left hand side right past the Winn Dixie.

If you do go the house route, I would avoid Garcon Point. If you live down there, you're fodder for the storm surge of the next hurricane that comes through. Milton proper is maybe 100 feet up, about like north Pensacola. I had three squadronmates in Primary who had a place on Garcon. They got 2-3 feet of water through their house when Ivan came through. Basically everything from knee level down was ruined.

My info is 2 years old, but I can hardly see a housing boom in Milton since then . . .

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
I just finished Primary up at Whiting, and Nittany's gouge is still current. Milton is pretty dead, so if you live there you will end up driving out to Pensacola to go out. I lived in Sweetwater Apartments, which is a few minutes away from Governor's Gate, just across from UNF. A lot of studs live in this area, and the apartments are nice, but it did suck having to get up at 0400 to make it to Milton in time for a 0530 brief.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I live 2 miles south of Whiting. It's way too close. I never want to live this close ever again.

I would concur with the above, now that I'm stationed at Whiting again. Kings Mill, Crest View, Governer's Gate (right now has great move-in specials) are good choices with no more than 30 min drive in.

Lots of good places to rent for the same if not less than apartments...PM me if you want a good realtor who will be happy to help you find a place for free (he's an HT fam instructor).

~D

KBayDog

I live 2 miles south of Whiting. It's way too close. I never want to live this close ever again.

Aside from living underneath course rules, why is it "too close"? With the hours you've been flying, it seems like the closer, the better.

BTW, is the 'hood filling up?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot

As someone living directly under course rules, it can get rather annoying, especially now that field hours go till 0100. Good gouge all around though...

jnb921

I got Helo's so I'm getting a place in Pace...I hear it's the place to be if you get Whiting. Need a roommate for a really nice house off Woodbine, let me know if you're interested.

kejo

pilot
i live in a neighborhood off east spencer field road in Pace...a lot of instructors (north and south field) live here, and it's a fair compromise between driving between whiting and pensacola. i know of a few other studs who live out here but it's no NAS governors gate. it's close to the walmart, ridge movie theater, home depot, and winn dixie, as well.

there are a few other neighborhoods in the area around spencer field.....i have a dog and the fenced in backyard is something you can't get at an apartment complex...i'd recommend looking for a house around here you can rent with 1 or 2 buddies.

personally, i'd rather live a little closer to work than play since that's where you have to spend 5 days out of the week usually...

...but i'm not selling anything, just giving Pace a fair shake :icon_smil

kejo

pilot
i just realized i used walmart, home depot, and winn dixie as selling points...wow i've been here way too long

pennst8

Contributor
i just realized i used walmart, home depot, and winn dixie as selling points...wow i've been here way too long

Ever been to walmart three times in one day?

Honestly it might be the lowest point of my existence...:D

Props for the NattyBo avatar. Nothing like a 12pk for $3.99.

pennst8

Contributor
Need a place to live?

Update: I'm renting a house in Milton... its ~15 mins from the base depending on traffic (I drove it in ten flat).

I'm looking to pick up a roommate (possibly 2) for the house. Its 3BR/2BA,1400sqft, has all the requisite appliances (including washer/dryer), a huge screened in porch, a fenced back yard, and (most importantly) a 20x40 in-ground pool.:D

Rent would be ~550 + Utilities (obviously less if there were 3 people). Pool service is being covered by the owner, so that's not a concern.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I'll send pictures of the place and more information.