• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing in Charleston, SC

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I just got verbals to Charleston, SC, and am curious what the good neighborhoods are. I've got a kid to consider so I need a place with multiple bedrooms and a garage. I'd also like to minimize my morning commute (about 30 minutes or so). So where would y'all recommend to live? How's the commute? Where are the good parks and schools? I appreciate the help and have a great day.

NCCGT

I just got verbals to Charleston, SC, and am curious what the good neighborhoods are. I've got a kid to consider so I need a place with multiple bedrooms and a garage. I'd also like to minimize my morning commute (about 30 minutes or so). So where would y'all recommend to live? How's the commute? Where are the good parks and schools? I appreciate the help and have a great day.

I currently live in SC, just south of Charlotte, and I’m applying to OCS. Curious what designator you are to to have received orders in Charleston. I love Charleston btw.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
All kidding aside, if you are going where I imagine you are going (judging from you avatar) and depending on your family situation you might want to look at Carnes Crossing. I have a friend there and he likes it. He couldn't wait to move away from Goose Creek which I think is basically the same town.

Another friend live in Monck's Corner...he loves it but he is a weirdo (read historian who has to live in a historic house) so that might not be the best recommendation. I think (again assuming I know where you are going) that Mount Pleasant is too far, but that is the nicest place I can think of around there.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I currently live in SC, just south of Charlotte, and I’m applying to OCS. Curious what designator you are to to have received orders in Charleston. I love Charleston btw.

I'm an Engineering Duty Officer and will be working at the NAVWAR office there in Charleston. If you're interested: https://www.public.navy.mil/navwar/Atlantic/Pages/Home.aspx . I'm from Charlotte originally; if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

It would help to know where in Charleston you’ll be going to work.

I'll be working somewhere on the weapons station. NAVWAR has a number of buildings and I'm not sure which one is which.

All kidding aside, if you are going where I imagine you are going (judging from you avatar) and depending on your family situation you might want to look at Carnes Crossing. I have a friend there and he likes it. He couldn't wait to move away from Goose Creek which I think is basically the same town.
Another friend live in Monck's Corner...he loves it but he is a weirdo (read historian who has to live in a historic house) so that might not be the best recommendation. I think (again assuming I know where you are going) that Mount Pleasant is too far, but that is the nicest place I can think of around there.

I appreciate it. I think Mount Pleasant is going to be too expensive, and I have no desire to live in a house older than 15 years old again (I've learned my lesson in California). I had a friend recommend Summerville, but he also said it took him an hour to get to work in the morning. Is Ladson any good?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I have no desire to live in a house older than 15 years old again...Is Ladson any good?
Fifteen years? That’s practically new! My house is is about 250! I think Cranes Crossing is a development in or near Ladson. I e-mailed my friend to get opinion and will let you know.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I appreciate it. I think Mount Pleasant is going to be too expensive, and I have no desire to live in a house older than 15 years old again (I've learned my lesson in California). I had a friend recommend Summerville, but he also said it took him an hour to get to work in the morning. Is Ladson any good?
My sister in law and her husband lived in Ladson while he was an instructor in Nuke school. The housing was affordable, they own a three bedroom with a pool and large garage (with FROG) for about $180k. They have 13, 9, and 5 year olds in the school system with no complaints. I think he spent ~30 minutes each way to work with mostly interstate traffic. It could take up to 45 minutes to get all the way to waterfront Charleston (i.e. Market Street) but there were lots of BBQ joints and good restaurants much closer. Main grocery was BI-LO....a lot like a Winn-Dixie but cheaper. About 45 minutes to Lake Martha and camping/fishing outdoorsy type stuff.

I visited them at least a couple dozen times while they were there on a three year tour...it's not glamorous but I enjoyed it

Treetop Flyer

pilot
My sister in law and her husband lived in Ladson while he was an instructor in Nuke school. The housing was affordable, they own a three bedroom with a pool and large garage (with FROG) for about $180k. They have 13, 9, and 5 year olds in the school system with no complaints. I think he spent ~30 minutes each way to work with mostly interstate traffic. It could take up to 45 minutes to get all the way to waterfront Charleston (i.e. Market Street) but there were lots of BBQ joints and good restaurants much closer. Main grocery was BI-LO....a lot like a Winn-Dixie but cheaper. About 45 minutes to Lake Martha and camping/fishing outdoorsy type stuff.

I visited them at least a couple dozen times while they were there on a three year tour...it's not glamorous but I enjoyed it
How did I get quoted there? How drunk am I?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Fifteen years? That’s practically new! My house is is about 250! I think Cranes Crossing is a development in or near Ladson. I e-mailed my friend to get opinion and will let you know.

Most of the houses I'm seeing for rent in Ladson and Summerville are around that age (somewhere in the 10-20 range). I'm currently living in a house built in the 1950s that needs serious structural, cosmetic, and electrical work that will likely never get done due to the way the California housing market is. I have no desire to deal with some of the issues I've had to accept, again. I'd rather live in suburbia with newer construction than in a historical neighborhood with questionable electrical wiring and dry-rotting window sills.

I was going to guess brig

I wouldn't need housing if that were the case. ;)