• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Housing During API

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmlc112

I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice on where or what areas are good to live in during API. I'm an NFO so I'll be here for awhile, but a lot of my friends are Aviators. We were thinking about living hopefully on the beach either in Perdido Key, or Pensacola Beach. If anyone has any advice I would greatly apreciate it.
Thanks, 1 more week left in OCS.
Greg

Dave Shutter

Lot's of FO's get places at the beach at Perdido. There's a lot houses to rent and there are always some available. If you lived at P-cola beach itself you'd be looking at a long drive to work everyday wheras Perdido is right out the back gate and closer to Sherman field where your NFO training will be.

dcstruble

I lived in the BOQ and it was cool for the 6 weeks. Most of your time is spent at the base anyways. Most people I knew was anxious to get off base, but I think they evenually got a little annoyed with the drive and complexity for such a short time period. Perdido is supposed to be cheaper/better properties and you don't have the damn toll.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There is housing at both Whiting and Corpus, and I had friends stay in both housing areas while going through Primary and Advanced. There are only so many units available, and a wait list sometimes, so it is luck of the draw.

Stegall

I know a lot of FO's live out the back gate at AustinWood Apartments. I went there this weekend and it's pretty nice. I graduate 15NOV and am looking for a place and people to live with. The guys in my class are not really concerned with it right now, but I'd rather just get things squared away early. So if anyone has a room available or what's to go in on a place, email me at stegall0503@ureach.com cause I'm all ready to get that taken care of.

Oh, I'm a girl, too, just in case you don't know.
icon_smile.gif

Jack

For anyone who decides to live in the BOQ during API (i.e SNAs who are not going to be staying at NAS Pensacola past API):

1. It is a good idea. You are just a few minutes from class every morning.

2. You can keep your personal property in storage (If you were on a government move).

3. You have someone clean your room for you daily, and lets face it, who of us wouldn't like that.?.

HOWEVER!!! Use cuation and ask LOTS of questions when you check into the Q. Make certain you know if you are in a transient of a permanant room. There is a huge difference. If you end up in a transient room for the six weeks you will be expected to pay the bill for the room. This because you will continue to receive BAH (housing allowance). If you end up in permanant room your BAH will stop, but you will not have to pay for the room while you are there. For a lot of you it will be the first time you are getting paid by DFAS (government payroll), they make A LOT of mistakes, especially during times of transferring and carrying out PCS orders. Make sure you make an appointment with PSD and have them explain your first pay period to you. If it annoys them, tough. I was put in a transient room, however they mistakenly stopped my BAH also. I was stuck with the bill after six weeks but hadn't received any BAH. Bad on me for not knowing my pay better, but like I said it is the first time you are getting paid by them and if you don't ask questions you may not like the outcome!

LadyJayUSN

I realize I may be jumping the gun here, but I am a year out from graduation and I am pretty confident I'll receive my service selection provided I am medically qualled. Anywho, I am considering buying a motor home and living in it during the duration of flight training. I know P-cola has a great RV park across the street from Sherman field, but I am not sure about Christy, Vance, or Moody. Anyone help a girl out?

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
I think that's a neat idea. When I was in flight school I had a squadronmate who lived on his boat at mainside (NAS P'cola). Make sure you'll still be able to get your full housing allowance - I think the way they're doing it these days you will, but I'm not certain. You'll be able to pocket a lot of $$$!!.

Are you going for NFO or pilot? If pilot, you should also ask about Whiting Field since that's the most likely location for primary. I went through Corpus and Whiting but sorry, I can't remember if there were RV parks. Most bases do have them, though. If you can't do it on base, I don't know if it would be such a great idea.

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

Status
Not open for further replies.