• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

House Hunting

BrittO

pilot
OK Guys...i'am reporting to Meridian April 6th and classing up may 8th. I want to take house hunting leave when i get there and would be grateful for any info on that..if it is availible..anything at all. Secondly, i know ground school is 5 or so weeks long...can i get my jet gear fitted before class up or not?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So long as you get here before your class up, you can take up to 10 days of house hunting TAD/leave. I did when I got here. Hit the housing office up, they are KEY in this area.

You have to get your gear fitted before class-up.

MotoMarine

War Damn Eagle
pilot
Just to tack something on the end here, I picked up orders yesterday with a buddy and we are both on our way to Meridian. We check in on the 19th and are slated to class up on 8 May as well. We are planning on hitting up the housing office next weekend when we get to town as that seems to be the way to go, but if anybody knows someboday that knows somebody that is getting out of a good deal house anytime soon, please speak up, any help is appreciated! Thanks.

BrittO

pilot
MotoMarine..congrats on Jets man...anyways, the housing office can fax you a copy of all houses if u call them. 601) 679-2555. I went in the day i got here and were very helpfull. The apartment situation is not great, Katrina people still here but there are a few 2/3 bedroom ones around. The houses on/around the lake are plentyfull but not all that new. 1000 a month for a 3 bed house on the lake is average, there are some around town/ the area for much less though. Living on the lake property (dalewood) costs each person 600 a year, which is sometimes included in the rent, just ask...any other questions..hit me up

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dalewood is such an anomaly. Decent houses in the same neighborhood as sh!tty trailer parks. Wierd.

MotoMarine

War Damn Eagle
pilot
Thanks for the help guys, looks like I have my foot in the door at The Woodlands, which I hear is a pretty good and common deal. looking forward to heading up, tenative class up on 8 May, we'll see. Look forward to meeting everyone new.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I'm in the Woodlands. I'd have to say it's probably the best complex down here. It's the newest and pretty nice, but nice in Meridian isn't the same nice as the rest of the world. You'll see what I mean when you get here. But I would definitely reccommend it ... 10-15 min drive to base ... pool and tennis court, supermarket right down the road.

Peace,

-Spin

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
while we're on the subject... I'm coming to meridian around may 15 (no class date yet) and I'm wondering if the base bachelor quarters are any good. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of living in the BQ on base?

Also, if anybody is looking for a roommate for a house off base PM me.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I thought about it, and didn't. I'm a bit of a slob and according to the instructions, they do weekly inspections vice the once-in-a-blue-moon ones at Whiting, where I was in the Q. So why buy trouble and hassles? Also, I asked to see a permanent party room and instead of being the one-bedroom apartment deal that Whiting and Pensacola have, it's essentially a glorified hotel room with a kitchenette. Didn't seem like too good a deal to me.

Plus the Q is actually about 3 miles from the flight line, and the speed limits on base are completely retarded, so you're not saving a whole heck of a lot of commuting time, maybe 10min or so compared to living on the north side of town or closer. Anyhow, that was what turned me off of the Q here when I moved up. YMMV.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Hey if anyone is still looking for a house I know of one ... y'all probably got your places by now but if you're still looking I can put you in touch with someone.