• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

house hunting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolja

Git-r-done
A4sForever said:
What's a "DH" ???

r_edgar_i.jpg
.... why, EDGAR, of course .... :)

Nice! :D

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Not to turn this into a Q&A thread about different areas...

But anyone with any input NAS Oceana area (where to start looking...), I was hoping to look into buying a house there this summer

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
bennett4362 said:
i'd love the input from those of you who have "been there done that."

Contrarian that i am.

i think it is a great idea to buy a house in Whidbey. Real Estate bubble, smubble.

If you have an extra $1,000 laying around to use to visit the area to "look", good idea. My own calculation would be to go for the visit, if i were intent on signing a contract (and had the necessary power of attorney from DO to sign). That said i would never sign a contract for a house that my DO had never seen. Just to look and maybe find a house with the hope that it will still be on the market when you get back, does not seem reasonable. Houses are often sold, in this current RE boom, the today they are put on the market. They do not last long.

I think A4's advice is good. Start doing your homework before you get there. Check MLS in the area, track it, track prices, do homework on various areas, schools, crime, distances, traffic and all that is important so you know well the area before you actually get there.

Ain't this Al Gore Internet thing wonderful??

Fred

TurnandBurn55 said:
Not to turn this into a Q&A thread about different areas...

But anyone with any input NAS Oceana area (where to start looking...), I was hoping to look into buying a house there this summer

We may be selling our house in Va Beach this summer. We live about 20min from Oceana.

Fred

Brett327 said:
PM me with your specific questions. I spent 4 years in Whidbey recently and also rent my house out there, so I'm fairly familiar w/ the real estate side of things. I can put you in touch w/ some great realtors and suggest some websites as well. In the meantime, I do recommend making the trip out if you can. The cost will be well worth the benefit of having seen your property and knowing what you're getting into beforehand. Whidbey is an awesome place to live. Standing by for your questions.

Brett

Brett,

Do you know anything about the Bremerton/Bangor area?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fred said:
Brett,

Do you know anything about the Bremerton/Bangor area?
Not really, just general commentary about the Puget Sound vicinity, but nothing as to the specifics of west sound area.

Brett

Fred

Brett327 said:
Not really, just general commentary about the Puget Sound vicinity, but nothing as to the specifics of west sound area.

Brett

Thanks, we are debating whether to sell our house in Va Beach and move to WA, rent our house here and move into housing on Bangor, Bremerton, or Key Port, or for me and the kids to stay here and my husband geo bach. Houses are not much cheaper out there but BAH is a lot lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.