• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FWIW, the EC-135 hover is 3-5'. The left heal of the skid is really the low point, with the tail bump (if it has one, unlike the P3s) is the next lowest point.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
FWIW, the EC-135 hover is 3-5'. The left heal of the skid is really the low point, with the tail bump (if it has one, unlike the P3s) is the next lowest point.
I always figured the main concern behind the TH-57 hover height was keeping wobbly brand new students from wobbling too close to the ground.

The stabilization in the IFR versions made a lower hover perfectly fine. Looking back, we probably should have just standardized it as 5' in the VFR-only bravos, because they did the bulk of fam work, and make it 3' in the everything-else-flying charlies. It would have been a lot of paperwork for the change but it would have been one time. We could justify it because we always operated those heavier. The gorilla in the room is that guys already did it anyway...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I am working a booth at AUSA (Army “gun show”) next week. Picked up my credentials today and looked around at the crazy set up!

Airbus brought in an actual helicopter sans engine…

Sikorsky has their “helo next” there as a very nice mock up…
Bell has the same for their new scout/attack and troop carrier models…

And as this is an Army show, the obligatory “big gun…”

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Got to “fly” the Boeing Defiant “simulator at AUSA. Kind of fun but the guy was frustrated I wanted to hover and do pedal turns to engage targets rather than swoop around…he kept saying, “But it flies like a fixed wing.”

Here’s a mock-up of the Bell tilt-rotor.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Got to “fly” the Boeing Defiant “simulator at AUSA. Kind of fun but the guy was frustrated I wanted to hover and do pedal turns to engage targets rather than swoop around…he kept saying, “But it flies like a fixed wing.”

View attachment 32904
Here’s a mock-up of the Bell tilt-rotor.

View attachment 32905
WTH? AUSA got the actual flight controls?
LM/Sikorsky brought a lousy PC with big screens and controls I could make in my garage for their S-97 "simulator". I think the reps could sense our disappointment before we declined to fly it.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
WTH? AUSA got the actual flight controls?
LM/Sikorsky brought a lousy PC with big screens and controls I could make in my garage for their S-97 "simulator". I think the reps could sense our disappointment before we declined to fly it.
Come by tomorrow and play all you want! Although this is clearly more a demonstrator than a trainer (maybe a basic trainer) I have a feeling it could do a lot more than the show allowed. The collective collected for take off and you used a slide button to work the pusher propeller. It took a while to get the knack of slowing to a hover using that thing. To go backwards you simply stay level and move the slider back…I really screwed that up as I kept wanting to use back cyclic which isn’t necessary.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Come by tomorrow and play all you want! Although this is clearly more a demonstrator than a trainer (maybe a basic trainer) I have a feeling it could do a lot more than the show allowed. The collective collected for take off and you used a slide button to work the pusher propeller. It took a while to get the knack of slowing to a hover using that thing. To go backwards you simply stay level and move the slider back…I really screwed that up as I kept wanting to use back cyclic which isn’t necessary.
I got to fly the Raider sim in Connecticut. It was really fun hovering with a 15-20° nose up attitude and making gun runs with a lot of nose down but not accelerating (pusher's got beta).

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
In other news Israel closed the deal on a bunch of -53’s and the two KC-46’s makes for a nice round up in cash.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
In other news Israel closed the deal on a bunch of -53’s and the two KC-46’s makes for a nice round up in cash.

Heard this was a very complex "deal with the devil" - more around increasing LM's footprint with Israel. CH-47F would have been a more affordable choice in the short term - but when you tie in incentives around JSF its likely that drove the decision. Kilo is still very high risk programatically.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heard this was a very complex "deal with the devil" - more around increasing LM's footprint with Israel. CH-47F would have been a more affordable choice in the short term - but when you tie in incentives around JSF its likely that drove the decision. Kilo is still very high risk programatically.

Or maybe they wanted the more capable helicopter? As for the ‘risk’ they can see past aircraft procurement decisions invokving the USMC and new aircraft, and see there is likely little real risk. Finally, they already operate H-53’s and getting some more makes sense.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Saw this in the news today:

Sikorsky flies its first unmanned Black Hawk helicopter; it can enter dangerous territory at no risk to crews​

A certain Black Hawk pilot I know can finally pass their check ride...as a front seat passenger.;)

"The Black Hawk, which dates to the 1970s, will continue flying for the Army for several more decades."