• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
One thing that they didn't really show in the movie is the difficulty in getting the PCLs off once the aircraft starts spinning. Heard from one pilot who was in a TR EP that the g force made it impossible to get the PCLs all the way off.
It doesn't help that Army 60s have the ridiculous IDLE-to-OFF spring-loaded lock.

Stingerhawk

I think you might be overselling the "confidence" from the HTs. Foundational? Absolutely. Confidence in working your fleet helo is built upon BASIC skills from the RAG that are applied to fleet aircraft at the FRS and then developed over the upgrade process.
Foundational is the goal of undergraduate training right?

This whole discussion/debate about full autos is purely opinion based about the effectiveness of continuing the training for the Navy instead of leaving it completely to simulation like they are doing at Rucker because of the limitations of the UH-72..... I just simply think its worthwhile.

upload_2016-5-27_11-8-20.png

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The point on autos is moot, since NAVAIR already weighed in and specified "repeated, frequent, daily autos to touchdown with no inspection required" in the RFP :) So some O-8 already made the call and HX-21 backed it up - so thats the go forward modality

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
One thing that they didn't really show in the movie is the difficulty in getting the PCLs off once the aircraft starts spinning. Heard from one pilot who was in a TR EP that the g force made it impossible to get the PCLs all the way off.

For autos in the 60s, if you are doing one, you are going to have a class A. The goal (imho) is to minimize injuries. For this, I think the 5/5 recovery works in the HT school house.

The TR EP fleet demand signal came from a number of TR eps in the fleet between 03-~10 that ran from drive failures, stuck pedals, and LTE.

It is very difficult to get the PCLs - I'm not sure I'd have managed it if I hadn't started before the nose broke - and simulators can't prepare you for how fast the nose will snap on you at takeoff power with an actual drive failure.

I've advised people to make sure they know what to do if a drive failure hits too fast to do any crew coordination. with the location of the PCLs in the 60 you are going to run out of hands and have to priortize.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The point on autos is moot, since NAVAIR already weighed in and specified "repeated, frequent, daily autos to touchdown with no inspection required" in the RFP :) So some O-8 already made the call and HX-21 backed it up - so thats the go forward modality
man, quit pissing on our dick contest

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
It doesn't help that Army 60s have the ridiculous IDLE-to-OFF spring-loaded lock.
Arrrrgh! And yet somehow the new guys coming out of Rucker seem to already have the bad habit of holding in the lock when they pull the PCLs out of fly. This of course is not required and it defeats the purpose of the locks. And then another common screw up is to put their thumb on the starter switch instead of the lock when shutting down.

As for keys? I think it is just to counter this sort of thing. As an interesting side note, we actually have one aircraft whose #2 engine will start with the key off or not even in the ignition.

And then there is the cyclic mounted stabilator slew up switch.:confused:

No one asked us peons in the Army before they chose the LUH as a training aircraft. This was all wrapped up in the Army's budget and agenda to replace AD 58s and bolster their 64 fleet. So they take 64s and LUHs from the guard and give the guard broken down 60s. The actual politics don't matter so much as the fact that the LUH choice was based more on politics than training requirements.

Yes, Rucker sucks. But that is a thread better communicated over beers, and even then not very interesting. In addition to going to Rucker for seven courses over the past nine years, I've been to all three national guard training sites (EAATS, WAATS and HAATS). They all do a much better job than Rucker. BTW, HAATS had some of the best flying I've had in my career.

Not that anyone on this forum is being asked, but for the love of all that is Holy, do not use what the Army does at Rucker as an example to follow.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Good homework. It would be hard to step back to only being able to do IFR procedure training in VMC, if they don't get an IFR certified helicopter.
If we do that then we'll end up with a generation who is afraid to fly in IMC. We already had one "ASAP" report out of the HTs this year, from some instructor who described, in great detail, why he/she did not like having to fly BIs and RIs the TH-57 at night without his NVGs.

As for ASAP, since it is anonymous, it is impossible to use that report to figure out who needs to turn in their wings (and man card) and go to their safe space.