• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Hoser" Article on Fencecheck

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Great story about Hoser. Trust this: Hoser's S-2T is the best-looking Stoof that ever flew. Somehow, he made the ugliest naval a/c ever actually mean-looking by adding turbo-prop engines, a pointy nose & a new paint-job.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Man that's pretty cool, great quick read and what a great profile story on Hoser... Any idea on the service life of those S-2's and OV-10's, noticed they had retrofitted 'em but wonder if they run into any wing-spar/airframe issues under what I would imagine is a fairly rigorous mission profile. Nonetheless, great seeing those beauties..

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard the stories about Hoser's Vietnam adventures when working as a Marine in the Pentagon in 78-79 timeframe. Seemed like everyone had a Hoser story and each one was more outrageous than the last one. Even the A-7 and A-4 drivers in the office has Hoser Stories and they ranged from fishing with hand grenades to daily trying to shoot a bell in a church over North Vietnam on his way to feet wet or chasing Rent-a-cops at Mt Mugu and pulling them over (they objected to his mining of rifle range impact area for lead for one of his gun related projects).

Those same storytellers convinced me to go Navy since Marines were so backed up trying to get guys to flight school. Shortly afterwards, I raised my right hand and was sworn into Navy and ended up in VF-101. When I finished the FRS, my new squadron sent me back to 101 to be the first TARPS RIO trained there along with a pilot. The pilot was teamed with a former Vigi RAN and would fly with him and me alternately as we validated the Syllabus. I was crewed with Hoser, the legend, who had just arrived with much anticipation with mandate to teach Tomcat drivers how to shoot the gun (another epic Hoser tale).

I had just flown with many legendary Tomcat drivers while progressing through the RAG, but Hoser was something else. He whipped the Tomcat around like it was a WWII fighter. Most of the TARPS syllabus was low-levels so I got to appreciate his eyesight and crew coordination skills. He is simply a warrior's warrior and everything he undertakes, he does at full throttle.

Great story about Hoser. Trust this: Hoser's S-2T is the best-looking Stoof that ever flew. Somehow, he made the ugliest naval a/c ever actually mean-looking by adding turbo-prop engines, a pointy nose & a new paint-job.

Hoser sent me this picture of himself in his S-2T and I agree that it's one fine looking ride.

Hoserinravine.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I like that S2. Also, that is a man who knows how to wear a dip and a fighter stache.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...that is a man who knows how to wear a dip and a fighter stache.

Yep, he's one of a kind. Here's what sits in his front yard.

Hoser.jpg

And yes, he "pisses on his own gravestone" from time to time. Note: his good friend "Snort" can't make same claim anymore and that is part of the joke.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I miss zero dark thirty bridge conversations with Snort.....

"My wife was doing the laundry, my neighbor was doing his lawn, and I was doing my neighbor's wife...."

Or yelling accross the Oceana O'club during happy hour when I was in town for an exercise...

"Hey Jim, who's the piece of ass with you?"......"I'm his NavComm"...."You heard that huh? What are you doing tomorrow? Want a ride in an F-14?"