• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hopeless for NFO or Officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stardragon1

I'm currently 28, will turn 29 in about 9 months, and I'm thinking about joining the Navy or Marines. I have only a year of college, with bad eyesight, though correctable with glasses I'm planning on joining in a few months.

What I would like to do, though I realize it is rather hopeless, is to get commissioned as an Officer and become an NFO.

My question is, is there anyway I can become an Officer and NFO? Or just an Officer? And which service would I have the best chance to do this in?

I've heard to become an officer, in the Navy at least, it can go up to 35 with a wavier, but what about an NFO? I seem to recall hearing that there have been some up to 36? Is this true?

Drake

Stardragon1

I realize I have to have a 4 year degree, and I plan on starting that as soon as I get in. But my question is, will I be too late, or is there a chance for a waiver?

Drake

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Hope springs eternal. There is always a chance for a waiver. How bad is your vision?

Officer Candidate School
OCS provides 13 weeks of officer candidate indoctrination and training. Selected enlisted Be at least 19 years old, but less than 29 years of age at time of commissioning. Pilots and Naval Flight Officer (NFO) applicants must be less than age 27 at time of commissioning. Age waivers for many specific designators may be granted for fleet applicants on a month-for-month basis for prior active-duty service.members are designated officer candidates upon reporting to OCS in Pensacola, Fla. The program is open to male and female personnel except for the submarine, surface nuclear power and Special Warfare (SEALS) programs, which are not open to women.

Applicants in pay grades E-4 and below who are designated officer candidates are advanced to E-5 upon reporting.

Enlisted applicants in pay grades E-5 and above are designated officer candidates in their current pay grade. The curriculum includes intense naval science and human relations management courses.

General eligibility requirements are:
Be a U.S. citizen.
Have a baccalaureate degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university.
Agree to take the Officer Aptitude Rating examination.

Be physically qualified. Physical standards vary depending on career path designator.

Current service members must be entitled to an honorable discharge; be serving on active duty; and have at least six months of obligated service remaining on current enlistment upon receipt of orders to most schools.

Applicants must possess leadership qualities, be of good moral character and have good personal habits.

Married and single applicants must meet the dependency requirements outlined in OPNAVINST 1120.2.

Service obligation for non-aviation OCS officers is four years active duty.

For pilots, active-duty obligation is seven years following designation (winging) as a Naval Aviator, while NFO active-duty obligation is six years following designation. For both pilots and NFOs training time prior to designation is between 18-30 months.

Hope that helps.

Here is the link of where I got it from.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/allhands/blnavycommission.htm

JKD

Those age limits look off. Here is the link for OPNAVINST 1420.1A (chapter 4).
http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/1420/four.pdf
There is a chart that lists the ages.

Stardragon1

Thanks for the info,

My eyes, I'm not sure what they are as uncorrected, but I do know they are 20/20 with my glasses on.

I've read that an NFO doesn't have much of an uncorrectable vision requirements, so that should help.

I also want to get PRK done too, and I've read that if you join the Navy study on PRK, that it won't disqualify you as an NFO. This true?

As for the age, on that pdf, it said it was prior to 30, with up to 2 years wavierable, to be commissioned. If I start now, I could finish college to make the limit. But do you think there is a chance to get a waiver past 32? What if you have a pilots license already? Would that help your chances?

Regardless, I am going to join the military, probably Navy, this summer, because I want to make it a career, but I hope I can also make it as an NFO.

Drake

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I just had PRK done and my waiver is in the works. I love it. I went from 20/50 to better than 20/15.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
Uh, you sure about that? I thought all the services only allowed PRK for any aircrew position except for Army helo guys (they can have Lasik).

Stardragon1

So are you saying that, if I go ahead and enlist, work my butt off to get my degree (aerospace engineering), enroll in the Navy PRK study, I have a chance to become an NFO? That'd be great if its true.

Would I have the same chances in the Marines as in the Navy, or would it be more likely in the Navy?

And thanks all for your help

Drake

sludge31

stardragon...my recent experience with the marine corps officer recruiting informed me that the marines are cutting back on NFO slots...they only needed to fill a seat or two for the entire eastern region...the recruiter advised me to apply for a ground MSO and take my chances on getting picked up as an NFO after OCS/TBS...thankfully I got a prorec from Navy OPO a few weeks later...FYI...Sludge

Crowbar

None
CLASS III: Aviation related duty not involving actual aerial flight.

Note: The designation of Class III for aviation personnel was recently approved by BUMED and will be reflected in the upcoming revision to MMD 15-65. Traditionally, all the personnel included in Class II have been treated similarly regarding disqualifying defects, groundings, waiverability, etc. Because Class III personnel do not engage in actual aerial flight, conditions relative to hypoxia or pressure changes do not have the same health and safety implications. The creation of this third classification can guide the flight surgeon in applying good aeromedical judgment without needless restriction of duties.

Air Controller (Includes DON Civilians)
Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Operators
Critical Flight Deck Personnel (Director, Spotter, Checker)
Non-Critical Flight Deck Personnel
Special Flight Deck Personnel

Status
Not open for further replies.