• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hopeful Aviators. Be Advised: Amblyopia

Igloojam

pilot
So... background.

20/20 vision in both eyes, a little struggle with depth perception test. Overall, going to Navy OCS I had no concerns. Untillll....

At OCS you will do full flight physical with an Aerospace Optometrist and flight surgeon.

The one test that got people more than depth perception and other crazy medical waivers was a test called the "grouping" test.

It's goal is to tease out any signs of Amblyopia. Amblyopia means essentially you have a lazy eye. It may not appear to be lazy. It could look completely normal.

My case was I passed all the test with flying colors. However my right eye showed a very slight sign of amblyopia. Not enough for the doc to say it was symptomatic, but enough to throw off my "grouping test"

The grouping test puts you in a long room. Maybe 20 feet long. There is a grid of letters at the end of the room. Unlike other vision test cards, these letters are tightly spaced and stacked on top. There are 8 rows of 10 letters. Little space between rows and letters. You are required to read one line from L to R, with both eyes individually. So one eye closed, then switch. If you have any slight and I mean slight signs of amblyopia, you will struggle on this test. I was that individual. Even though I have 20/20 in both eyes, uncorrected, I had a hard time with this test. I could only get 7-8 letters out of 10. This happened to two of us.

Now I have to redesignate to NFO. If you can only see less than 7 letters, you fail and you now are NPQed for everything.

Luckily, for FY 16, NFOs are in high demand. Redesignation from what I gather is easy.

If you have any questions ask your eye provider about amblyopia or amblyopic type symptoms and/or call the NAMI office for more details.

Hope that helps.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Now I have to redesignate to NFO. If you can only see less than 7 letters, you fail and you now are NPQed for everything.

Luckily, for FY 16, NFOs are in high demand. Redesignation from what I gather is easy.

TRAWING Six, the wing that trains all SNFO's, wasn't called the 'School for the Blind' by my SNA brethren for nothing when I went through. Best of luck as an NFO!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any chance for a re-test before they NPQ you for SNA? You may have had a bad day....dehydrated, etc. It's worth pursuing.

Igloojam

pilot
Any chance for a re-test before they NPQ you for SNA? You may have had a bad day....dehydrated, etc. It's worth pursuing.

Ya they offered... the catch is though if you retest and do worse you could potentially NPQ yourself from everything. I chose not to retest. I only want to be in aviation community and with a wife and kid I didn't want to risk it. I had a golden ticket for nfo so I took it. OCS is not the best environment for flight physicals... your tired as all get out the entire time.

If I was single and no kids... ya retest for sure.