• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Honestly, as a new NFO, how likely is it that I'll be stationed in some tiny small to

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonymousGuy

None
I've been trying to determine the numerous squadron locations throughout the world, and I keep finding answers that don't quite match up. In general, I'm just wondering the likelihood of me ending up in some tiny little town. I'd hate to be stuck on Whidbey Island where there is nothing to do for entertainment on Friday/Saturday night. Is getting stuck somewhere like this likely? Are most of the bases that a Navy NFO can be stationed at in small towns?

Thanks everyone!

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Your bio says that you're a prior enlisted YN2. That service should have given you enough time to figure out where most of the Naval Air Stations are (if not, take the time to do some simple research). Take that data and apply it to your definition of "small town," and you've just answered your own question.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
There's nothing to do in Whidbey on a Friday or Saturday night if you show up with this attitude. Get on the internet, investigate the locations yourself and don't form your opinions or make "career" decisions based on what you hear from students who are five flights ahead of you.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Not often you here the phrase "stuck on Whidbey Island." Whidbey's f'ing beautiful, I'd love to be "stuck" there.

AnonymousGuy

None
I know where all of our air stations are, but I'm finding that we can also have squadrons on other bases...such as AF and Marine bases. Those are the ones I've not found a lot of info on. Are there Navy squadrons on the miramar base?

Can I be stationed at training squadrons or reserve/fts squadrons? Can I be on a joint reserve air base such as NAS JRB Fort Worth?

Not often you here the phrase "stuck on Whidbey Island." Whidbey's f'ing beautiful, I'd love to be "stuck" there.

I'm just going on what I've heard and simple statistics I've read on wikipedia about the place. I've heard that it is very beautiful and there are lots of outdoor activities, but I guess that's not really my thing. I like going out partying on the weekend and chasing girls I guess lol. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I just heard whidbey wasn't really a place to do that. Hopefully I haven't heard correct.

I guess I could always drive two hours to Seattle every wknd:/

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
If "where's the best place to chase poon" is the reason for you choosing your career path, I'd say your priorities are slightly out of order. But, having grown up and lived in the north puget sound area for 26 years of my life, you have two huge U's (UW & WWU) 1.5-2 hours in either direction from you, not to mention there is/was an OK bar scene in Everett when I left (~4 years ago) which is half the distance to seatown. I'm in Lemoore and it is not exactly the hot spot of CA either, but if you travel a small distance you've got more things to 'entertain' you than you have time to do it all.

AnonymousGuy

None
I never stated that I'm making career choices based on "where I can chase poon.". I just simply asked about being stationed in a larger city, with a good nightlife. I don't see any problem in knowing my options, and choosing one that will satisfy my professional goals as well as my personal priorities.

BuckWild

Advanced - VT-35
JCUSN said:
I'm just going on what I've heard and simple statistics I've read on wikipedia about the place. I've heard that it is very beautiful and there are lots of outdoor activities, but I guess that's not really my thing. I like going out partying on the weekend and chasing girls I guess lol. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I just heard whidbey wasn't really a place to do that. Hopefully I haven't heard correct.

I guess I could always drive two hours to Seattle every wknd:/

First off I agree with JoshDavid with your priorities being way out of whack! Secondly, there's a lot of other things you will need to be worrying about way before you even get to your first duty station: ocs, flight school etc. Thirdly, it's what you make of the area.

careerO-3

pilot
If you have any game, you can get girls anywhere. I've heard guys complain that there are no hot girls in Jacksonville (Fl). Overall, I think most people would agree that the navy has the best locations in the military. You could be in the air force and stationed in Minot.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Can I be stationed at training squadrons or reserve/fts squadrons? Can I be on a joint reserve air base such as NAS JRB Fort Worth?

To answer this question: as a new NFO, no. There are no Navy squadrons at Miramar, although some Navy types go through the Marine Hornet RAG there - that would be for pilots though, not NFOs.

There are a lot of VFA and VAW squadrons at Oceana and Norfolk, respectively, so that's a pretty good size city I suppose. Then you've got VP squadrons in Jacksonville and Hawaii. And, if you want a really big city - Atsugi, a little outside Tokyo, has VFA, VAQ, and VAW assets.

AnonymousGuy

None
Thanks for your input, Armada! Atsugi sounds ideal! Is that a place that many people fight for, generally?

And thanks for not trying to address my "priorities". I guess I should purely focus on spending 24 hours a day on working, as opposed to giving any thought to a personal life at all.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
You could be in the air force and stationed in Minot.

Don't knock the North Dakota girls. There's a lot of good looking women in North Dakota. . .they're just outnumbered by the livestock.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Here's a question for you: what's a higher priority for you- getting selected to a Navy commissioning program as a first step to becoming an NFO, or getting laid? If it's the latter, than go away. If it's the former, than worry about getting selected for the commissioning program before asking where the NFO hotspots are. You can ask that question and process the answers when you start ground school at VT-10, at which point you'll still have plenty of time to think about choices for your dreamsheet.

BTW, your profile is confusing to me. I can't figure out if a) you're unemployed in Ohio, or b) working as a business consultant in Thailand.

Status
Not open for further replies.