• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Home of a Naval Aviator" signs going up all over Coronado

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good for Coronado! (But they might run out of signs)

From a UT article:

"To celebrate the 100th anniversary of Navy flying this year, the city’s historical society began researching how many aviators have lived in the town where it all began."

"At least 500 “Home of a Naval Aviator” signs are expected to go up in Coronado front yards over the next few weeks. Boy Scouts planted the first ones last weekend.
LINKY

navavsignt593.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there any significance to the the 169/194?
Good question.

My guess is that over the years, there might have been 25 different aviators that lived there. But I really don't know. Will check.

Flugelman

Contributor
Wouldn't it be great if they brought the "Nickel Snatcher" back for the Centennial. Ride over sober, on the way back, not so much... Good times.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wouldn't it be great if they brought the "Nickel Snatcher" back for the Centennial. Ride over sober, on the way back, not so much... Good times.
Never rode the Nickel Snathcher. Missed it by a year or less. But I heard all the great stories! :D

A little known part of Naval Aviation history.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The fact that NASNI has not yet been closed is proof that God loves Naval Aviators and wants them to be happy and enjoy their per diem.

Course rules notwithstanding.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The fact that NASNI has not yet been closed is proof that God loves Naval Aviators and wants them to be happy and enjoy their per diem.

Course rules notwithstanding.

Course Rules? Fly helos! We don't need no stinking course rules!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Course Rules? Fly helos! We don't need no stinking course rules!

Until you get reported by one of the retired Navy people in said houses for failure to abide by noise abatement procedures over Coronado.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm thinking it's the number corresponding to the aviators who lived there; i.e. aviators number 169 & 194.
Either that, or it was a very crowded snake ranch.:D

A call to the historical society says that they will be putting out a program listing the aviators with a number. The woman didn't really know the numbering sequence, whether it was chronological or alphabetical or whatever.

However two aviators with those two numbers on their soon to be publiished list lived in the house in the photo.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well not flying over the Cays hardly constitutes a complex set of course rules.

For all the crap pointy nose guys get in terms of noise abatement, after spending an afternoon/evening or two out at the Hotel Del bar, I have to say that the helo traffic is far more annoying. And I don't say that out of dislike of helos....

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Do they still give you a number when you wing? I would imagine that would have to be a pretty big number by now.