• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

home defense

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Hmm, they actually issue un-used grenades to Marines? I figured they handed them shrapnel and gunpowder and said "Make your own."

FlyinRock

Rocky, from a pragmatic perspective you're right. However, my explosive-tipped arrows and crossbow would do the trick for the first wave.... my throwing tomahawk would merely be the coup de grace for the last wounded red coat running away.
Hey Ryan
You know me...pragmatic! I have a pic around here someplace with a scope mounted tomahawk that would be ideal for the running redcoats.
Rocky

Lawman

None
S&W Model 19 Revolver with semi jacketed .357 Mag and a speed loader and small surefire flashlight.

In the dark at 3am after a 10 hour work day with about 15 seconds to decide what that sound was, I dont want any more complications. Lots of people shoot at the range. But factor in the fact that woken from a deep sleep how long would it take you to get your shooting range dexterity back. I dont want to fumble with a safety or anything like that I just want to be able to point the weapon at the noise in the dark... walk to the stair well... and blast the shit out of any dark shape walking up because I know my wife isnt down there and to hell with whoever is.

FlyinRock

Lawman,
Hope the inlaws never visit your place.
I recall one night many years ago when I was awakened by a creaking board in my living room and my wife was asleep beside me. I lifted the pistol off my night stand and had it pointed at the bedroom door when my brother quietly said, "I know you have a gun pointed at me but its your brother Jon so please don't shoot." I waited a few seconds and he said something like our parents names and I knew it was him. Had forgotten I gave him a house key. He was on a business trip and coming by late he didn't want to wake us up while he grabbed a few zzzz's. Never forgot the incident and how close it could have been, or how fatal and heartbreaking.
Semper Fi
Rocky

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Thats a great reason to have a good light on your gun of choice.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I just brought the rest of my guns to KY from NC, so my bedside arsenal is...well, an ARSENAL right now. My carry/sometimes USPA production Sig 229 SAS is currently the closest within reach, but the SA Loaded 1911 (now with a rail and obscenely bright light) isn't far behind. Generally speaking, though, I'm a fan of the rifle. I'm faster and more accurate with my AR than anything else reasonable enough to use indoors, and the manual of arms has been beaten relentlessly into my head for a few years. There's something to be said for muscle memory, after all.

Admittedly, though, I haven't found an ammo that I would feel comfortable using in my ultra-suburban neighborhood. Unless my neighbors piss me off, that is. But seeing as how they helped me unload my medium sized rental truck today, they're firmly in the 'Accepted...for now' column.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I just brought the rest of my guns to KY from NC, so my bedside arsenal is...well, an ARSENAL right now. My carry/sometimes USPA production Sig 229 SAS is currently the closest within reach, but the SA Loaded 1911 (now with a rail and obscenely bright light) isn't far behind. Generally speaking, though, I'm a fan of the rifle. I'm faster and more accurate with my AR than anything else reasonable enough to use indoors, and the manual of arms has been beaten relentlessly into my head for a few years. There's something to be said for muscle memory, after all.

Admittedly, though, I haven't found an ammo that I would feel comfortable using in my ultra-suburban neighborhood. Unless my neighbors piss me off, that is. But seeing as how they helped me unload my medium sized rental truck today, they're firmly in the 'Accepted...for now' column.
Did you let them help unload your weapons?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
No way. I like them, and I drink beer with them. They're gun guys, even. Hell, one of them was actually stationed at MAG-39 with me in the 90s, and I went dove hunting with the other a few days after we unloaded the truck. But I don't trust them with that knowledge. Not yet anyway.

Besides, all the firearms were unloaded the previous night when I got back here, even though it was way too damned late, and my boxer was freaking the hell out from being in a new house. Leaving them out in a truck would have been asking for way too much trouble. I prefer not to tempt the gods like that.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
My range bags are pretty discreet by design, but I still prefer to use the garage transfer. No reason to freak people out when I load/unload the multiple rifles and pistols, ammo, spent brass, bags, and (depending on what I was shooting that day) probably some armor. It probably wouldn't get a second look around here--this IS Kentucky, after all--but you never know who's watching. Besides, it just prevents awkward questions. I'm a pretty thick headed individual, but even I know that sometimes the path of least resistance is the preferable one.

FlyinRock

When I transfer my guns from house to car/car to house, I try to be as discreet as possible and avoid anyone knowing I have a house full of guns. Don't care to make it a target any more than it already is. I definately do not need another shoot out at home. It would be pretty ugly.