• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hmmmmmm.......Interesting

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard about this when it was first proposed. Talk about a bridge to nowhere. Firstly, that part of the Puget Sound is out in the sticks. Not enough traffic to warrant a multi 100 million dollar bridge. Second, go on Google Maps and look at Port Orchard, WA where Hwy 3 is. You can simply drive 2 miles down the road and be clear of the water. It's a ridiculous idea and I can't believe this state Rep got money appropriated to study feasibility.

JackyB

This proposal is Wacky unless you are the guy/gal that gets to burn through $90,000 in a bogus study. When looking closely at these deals follow the money. Someone, friend, relative, associate, campaign contributor will benefit even if the study says it's Wacky.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I hope whoever made that proposal and got it funded wore a ski mask while he did it. He practically stole that money from the taxpayers.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I heard about this when it was first proposed. Talk about a bridge to nowhere. Firstly, that part of the Puget Sound is out in the sticks. Not enough traffic to warrant a multi 100 million dollar bridge. Second, go on Google Maps and look at Port Orchard, WA where Hwy 3 is. You can simply drive 2 miles down the road and be clear of the water. It's a ridiculous idea and I can't believe this state Rep got money appropriated to study feasibility.

Brett, if you have ever driven on HWY 3.... You would understand why a bridge there would be awesome. As far as "Out in the sticks" is concerned a lot of people work in Bremerton (including the carrier(s), multiple other surface targets, and subs in refit) and live south of Bremerton, where all the better schools and safer neighborhoods are.

I am not arguing that a carrier bridge (although cool imo) is a good idea. But not having to deal with going from three lanes to one, just to get through that shithole area with two car dealerships, a mattress store, gas station, and strip club, would be great. As it stands right now, where the proposed bridge would span, ultimately has a similar foot ferry just to the East of it.

I am sure, however, that you are an expert... since you have been stationed in Washington....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I need to forward this to my boss and the guys I work with. Vast majority are civil and mechanical PEs, and my boss is retired Navy CEC. They'd probably die laughing.

That said, a public works project in Washington State? They'd make a way for the damn thing to cost $100 million, take 5 years to complete, and take years off the project manager's life dealing with excess "oversight" and public stupidity. It's the Seattle way. Probably cheaper to just throw three carriers together.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, if you have ever driven on HWY 3.... You would understand why a bridge there would be awesome. As far as "Out in the sticks" is concerned a lot of people work in Bremerton (including the carrier(s), multiple other surface targets, and subs in refit) and live south of Bremerton, where all the better schools and safer neighborhoods are.

I am not arguing that a carrier bridge (although cool imo) is a good idea. But not having to deal with going from three lanes to one, just to get through that shithole area with two car dealerships, a mattress store, gas station, and strip club, would be great. As it stands right now, where the proposed bridge would span, ultimately has a similar foot ferry just to the East of it.

I am sure, however, that you are an expert... since you have been stationed in Washington....
I've lived here for 15 years and have been through there many, many times, which is why I chose to comment. It's not that busy, and a bridge doesn't buy you that much. It's also a non-starter, since DoD doesn't have anything to give to such a project. It's an indefensible waste of my tax dollars, for which there are many more higher priority transportation needs in NW Washington.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
Well you beat me on mileage. I have only lived in Washington for 12 years. That being said, I worked in Bremerton and lived in Port Orchard and would argue very vehemently that traffic IS an issue in that area. If you have ever driven south of the water treatment facility and had to deal with merging traffic coming from both Silverdale as well as the Base, you would think differently as well. A bridge would buy you a removal of merging from three to four lanes down to one to two lanes, into a straight shot to 16 from Naval Base Bremerton.

Higher priority projects, I can agree with, but living south of Bremerton, every day I thought to myself (I wish there was a bridge to alleviate this traffic congestion) and I used to drive through Everett from Arlington to Seattle every day before and during construction when it went from four lanes down to one lane and back going North bound. There are few areas I have commuted to/from that frustrated me more or that I saw more accident's or stop and go traffic from, than that stretch of road.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

And I wish there were a bridge off the south end of Whidbey Island, but there isn't and until they retire a few more carriers....there won't be.

I'll offer the same thought that was passed along by a sage old man some years ago to ENS RLSO.... "If you're complaining about traffic on the way to work, leave your house earlier," but you probably knew that...

:rolleyes:

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
And I wish there were a bridge off the south end of Whidbey Island, but there isn't and until they retire a few more carriers....there won't be.

I'll offer the same thought that was passed along by a sage old man some years ago to ENS RLSO.... "If you're complaining about traffic on the way to work, leave your house earlier," but you probably knew that...

:rolleyes:

I'd love for a bridge on the south end of Whidbey but that'll never happen. That area would blow up and I'd rather live there instead of Anacortes. In fact, that'd make a social life possible.

jmcquate

Contributor
Seattle.....Schmeattle. I deal with the 14th Street bridge getting into and out of DC every day. Y'all don't know traffic. The CV bridge idea is stupid and that's why the government will spend $90.000 to state the obvious, but I imagine it would have been cool to imagine to power calls in your head as your car approached each roundout.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ain't going to happen, anyone with half a brain would know that. I don't think Washington does that great with infrastructure in general, especially new construction, though they are limited by geography more than others.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd love for a bridge on the south end of Whidbey but that'll never happen. That area would blow up and I'd rather live there instead of Anacortes. In fact, that'd make a social life possible.
Here's the real question - would you drive on a bridge made out of Washington State Ferries? I propose that as an alternative to the carrier bridge. $90,000, please!