• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hitting a brickwall

DPort

First off, I am going to go ahead and post a disclaimer and I am sure I will catch some flak for it but I'm prepared for that. I am currently in the United States Army but I was a prior service Navy 8701 (Dental Technician/Hospital Corpsman) I was Honorably Discharged after 6 years of service. I joined the Army and now I am aggressively pursuing an opportunity to fly rotary wing aircraft (again, prepared for the flak I am sure to catch for that.) The issue I keep running into is the fact that I had retaken the ASVAB (or the AFCT in technical terms) while stationed in Okinawa and the scores got sent back to me from D.C. as converted scores instead of the raw line scores. The line scores are really just a list of how many you got right in each category. Well, apparently no one here on Fort Riley is able to convert the actual ASVAB scores to Army line scores. Apparently the ASVAB scores are only used by MEPS and recruiters. Army recruiters are either unable or unwilling to assist me and I have had no luck with trying to contact anyone at the closes MEPS. So, if anyone has any ideas or advice I appreciate it.

A10DCC

Pro-Rec SNA
Who do you want to fly for? If you fly Navy the ASVAB means nothing, you will have to take the ASTB. The Army also has their own aviation test (called the AFAST) you will take before you put your application for pilot, whether you want to be a warrant officer or commisioned officer. To the best of my knowledge the ASVAB means nothing for flight school. Talk with an Officer recruiter, not an enlisted recruiter, and they will be able to help you.

DPort

The AFAST is an additional test on top of the ASVAB. In the Army to be a Commissioned or Warrant Officer you need a GT score of 110 and thus the emphasis on the ASVAB.

torpedo0126

are only the local recruiters not helping you? here are three things that come to mind that could provide direction:
1) anyone in your CoC that could help you?
2) Do you know any pilots that either know where to direct you or could call in a favor?
3) I take it you are going to be a WO. Can you call the WO school and ask for help on where to convert?
4) Would you be willing to retake the exam?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I found this by doing a google search:
(From About.com)
The ASVAB subtests for determining the composites are: General Science (GS), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Word Knowledge (WK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC), Numerical Operations (NO), Coding Speed (CS), Auto and Shop Information (AS), Mathematics Knowledge (MK), Mechanical Comprehension (MC), Electronics Information (EI), and Sum of Word Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension, scaled (VE).

Current aptitude area composites used for MOS selection are as follows:

CL -Clerical-VE+AR+MK
CO -Combat-AR+CS+AS+MC
EL -Electronics-GS+AR+MK+EI
FA -Field Artillery-AR+CS+MK+MC
GM- General Maintenance-GS+AS+MK+EI
GT- General Technical-VE+AR (VE = Verbal Expression; AR = Arithmetic Reasoning)
MM- Mechanical Maintenance-NO+AS+MC+EI
OF- Operators and Food-VE+NO+AS+MC
SC - Surveillance and Communications-VE+AR+AS+MC
ST- Skilled Technical-GS+VE+MK+MC

Your ASVAB scores are on your ENLISTMENT DOCUMENT in your service record.

For the rest of the crowd, here are the requirements for Army WOFT:
ARMY.COM said:
- Have a high school diploma.
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time of Regular Army enlistment and not have passed your 33rd birthday when the board convenes (age waiver will not be considered).
- High school seniors may also apply.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Score 90 or higher on the revised Flight Aptitude Selection Test (FAST). FAST test results are valid indefinitely as long as verifiable official records exist. No waivers are available for failure to meet the minimum FAST score.
- Earn a minimum of 110 General Technical (GT) score on the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) (nonwaivable as well). The GT score is one component of the ASVAB results.
- Meet the Active Duty Army's screening height and weight standards.
- Take a complete physical exam at a Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) and meet entry medical fitness standards as determined by military medical authorities no more than eighteen months prior to the date of application. Must also undergo a Class 1A Flight Physical Examination in addition to the one conducted at the MEPS and have results approved by Flight Surgeons at Fort Rucker, Alabama, prior to the selection board. The Flight Physical must also be less than 18 months old.

Additional Requirements:
- Complete MOS training
- Rank is usually SPC/E-4 or higher
- Must be appointed prior to age 46
- Most require completion of basic leadership course
- Documented proficiency in specialty area
- Meet prerequisite standards for specialty area

-ea6bflyr ;)

DPort

I am in the process of speaking to the Warrant Officer recruiters again, the last time they stopped contacting me and I have not heard back from them yet. As for my chain of command, I have spoken to my S-1 (Think PSD for Navy) and I have spoken to the person in charge of testing here on Post and none of them are able to offer any assistance. I've spoken to a couple of local recruiters here as well as the recruiter from where I joined with no help.

I've read the About.com post and thank you for pasting it but the problem with that one is the fact that those are for calculating line scores to Army line scores and the issue with me is the fact that I have already had my line scores converted from line scores to ASVAB scores which include the AFQT percentile rating.

As for the personnel record portion, I have what is called an ERB and also a REDD report, both of which are based on my initial entry ASVAB test which has a GT score of 104 and is thus not good enough to qualify me for aviation.

The CAB (Combat Aviation Brigade) here is pretty busy right now having just redployed.

The final option, retaking the test may be an inevitability but I'm just apprehensive to retake a test and BOLO it (FUBAR it) whatever you want to call it. Especially since I plugged the scores into a mock-up converter on the WO recruiting site and I would supposedly have a 127 GT.

The fact that they have a mock converter is ironic considering that would mean that they have the capablities to convert the scores. It's all very frustrating.

Thanks again for your help.

Davenport