• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

History Time - East Coast CVW deployments to the indo/pacific region?

I couldn't find much information online about it - so don't hate.

Do any of the east coast carrier air wings ever get deployed to the west coast, 7th/3rd fleet for ops, or are they only really used in 6th and 5th fleet? To second on that, have Carrier Air Wings ever been sent off from San Diego for operations in the pacific and join their Pacific CVW counterparts due to shortage in manning or at times of war.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I couldn't find much information online about it - so don't hate.

Do any of the east coast carrier air wings ever get deployed to the west coast, 7th/3rd fleet for ops, or are they only really used in 6th and 5th fleet? To second on that, have Carrier Air Wings ever been sent off from San Diego for operations in the pacific and join their Pacific CVW counterparts due to shortage in manning or at times of war.
Yes, CAG 1, 3, and 8 (all Oceana) deployed to Korea and/or Vietnam. The same can be said for a number of the old, now defunct, CVSG Wings (anti-submarine carrier groups).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Early 1980s, sister VS squadron deployed on America in the Med. Don't recall if the whole west coast airwing went with them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sometimes it goes the other way around. But you still get denied a chance to sail around the world to end things, and have to literally take the long way around the planet back home from the Med, because apparently those E-2s really are needed in Japan.

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
2015 cruise on the Teddy Roosevelt CAG-1. Change of port from Norfolk to San Diego. 6 months bombing ISIS from the Persian gulf and then did some Pacific Ocean goofin.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Sometimes it goes the other way around. But you still get denied a chance to sail around the world to end things, and have to literally take the long way around the planet back home from the Med, because apparently those E-2s really are needed in Japan.

But like... they could, yah know... Fly back to Japan while the CSG steams west.

E-3 coverage is pretty damn easy and available across the Atlantic, and WAY cheaper than the cost of a CSG at sea for a day.

But hey, my latest travel claim was kicked back yet again because I didn't submit a tax exemption form for a whopping total of $17.42. So I suppose we're going to try to balance that NDAA through those exuberant travel funds that our Sailors/Marines/Airmen/Soldiers are claiming.

robav8r

None
Contributor
CVN-74 maiden deployment (CVW-7 ???) left Norfolk in 1998, arrived in San Diego after some lovely liberty in Hobart Tasmania ?

ChandosT

Prior AME. SNA Board Applicant
Same for Lincoln in 2019. Much less ISIS bombing, much more useless Duqm port calls, and leadership being afraid of entering the NAG.
Fortunately never found myself in the jewel of Oman, Duqm. Just Bahrain and Dubai a hundred times.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But like... they could, yah know... Fly back to Japan while the CSG steams west.

E-3 coverage is pretty damn easy and available across the Atlantic, and WAY cheaper than the cost of a CSG at sea for a day.

But hey, my latest travel claim was kicked back yet again because I didn't submit a tax exemption form for a whopping total of $17.42. So I suppose we're going to try to balance that NDAA through those exuberant travel funds that our Sailors/Marines/Airmen/Soldiers are claiming.
Apparently if you have a redeye flight back from IDTT, and they allow you to claim a late checkout fee from your hotel so you can work out, shower, and eat first, then the Chinese Communist Party wins.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Jan. 4, 1980, after 3 1/2 months into a Med. Cruise, CVN-68 with CVW-8 onboard, left Naples and steamed out through the Straights of Gibralter, around the southern tip of Africa to the Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean (Suez Canal wasn't an option back then). After spending 3 1/2 months on station, launching the ill-fated Iranian hostage rescue attempt, and being relieved by CVN-69, we steamed back to the States, having crossed the equator 4 times and setting the record (at that time) of 144 straight days at sea without a port visit.

Renegade One

None
Early 1980s, sister VS squadron deployed on America in the Med. Don't recall if the whole west coast airwing went with them.
If you're talking about VS-33 (IIRC) and CVW-11...yes, the whole shooting' match went east for two deployments on AMERICA.