• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hiking boot recommendations?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Spent some time in a couple stores recently looking for a pair of comfortable hiking boots with gortex, and waterproof. I have an old pair of timberlands that were just day boots that have seen better days. Hit REI and an outdoor store, and was basically confronted with a wide variety of boots I have never even heard of before (not surprising since I am not an avid outdoorsman, unless it is the beach or on a boat!).

Anyways, just wondering if anyone has any recommendation for a good pair of comfortable boots that won't break the bank that I can add to my list.

John

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are you going to use them for? I've got about 6 pairs of hiking or climbing boots. I'm a fan of Salomon, Montrail(tend to be more cold WX boots) and Vasque, but my current medium duty 3-season boot is Asolo Moran GTX - they kick ass and are sneaker comfortable.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
At work, flying, light hiking and needs to be waterproof, going to be using them in some snow.

teabag53

pilot
All good suggestions thus far and I have used all. I've become a huge fan of La Sportiva over the last couple years. If fact, my 4-day 'go to San Bernadino for the last 4-days of the USFS Contract and bring the machine home' put me in Colorado in snow. Given that I left home with a bag of shorts and flip-flops I picked up some La Sportiva trail runners in Boulder for snow running and hiking on mando days off. They beat the shit out of my Brooks (and I love those). In fact, they've proved key as I've been stuck in Ogden, UT for the last 3-days (wx v VFR-only machine) and I've hiked and run my ass off in the rain, snow, and mud here.

KBayDog

This thread's been alive for almost seven hours, and so far, not a peep from the Vibram fanboys. #2012

busdriver

None
I have a pseudo love affair with Asolo as a brand. But it really depends on what you're trying to do with them. For light hiking and walking about at work, you probably can't go wrong with damn near anything as long as they're waterproof enough for you. Once you delve into carrying actual weight while backpacking is when it starts to matter, as an example the pair of Asolos I've got(something similar to the 520 GV) have a plastic layer under the sock liner that is there to distribute weight over the mid-sole. In any event from what I've seen Merrill tends to be less expensive but decent, after that La Sportiva, Montrail, Asolo, Vasque (anything that sounds like it's from the Alps I guess)tend to get more expensive but worth it if you're going to put some mileage into them.

I really wish we in the AF didn't have to wear stupid ass green boots.....

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was contemplating between a pair of danner mountain lights or crater rims the other day. I decided to save the money since I hike once a year and it was just going to be an impulse buy.

The big thing is to try a few pairs on and go with what feels best.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I have some Vasque snow boots that are very comfortable. They're called "Snowburban" or somesuch. Recommended.

Merrells are also great. I have climbed several mountains in my Merrells and have yet to get a blister.

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
Got a pair of Vasque Sundowners in college almost 10 years ago that just got me through a 4 day Grand Canyon hike last month. Probably better tech out there, but a solid pair of boots and you can get 'em for about $100 online (6pm.com).

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I have a lightly used set of bellevilles you can have. The soles are nearly worn off, but I'm told that they are fine to continue to wear by the LSs, coincidentally the one wearing the gucciest of boots.

If I show up to work shoeless, maybe they'll finally get me some new ones.