• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Highest possible rank right after OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ard

I contacted a recruiter online via the chat option at www.navy.com/. She said that it is possible (not necessarily easy) for someone who goes to OCS to get a commission at a rank higher than O-1. She implied that the decision was made by the board. What are the requirements for that?

Also, I qualify for a position as scientist within the Staff Corps, but I'd rather join as a Line Officer (unrestricted, if possible). What are my options? An important point is that as a Staff Officer I might be able to join at O-3 or O-4 due to my experience and credentials. (I have a Ph.D. with about 15 years of professional experience.) Can I graduate OCS and enter as O-3 at least?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What do you desire to do in the Navy, what communities are you interested in? The direct commissions at higher ranks are for needed skill sets in specific restricted line positions (medical being the most common).

ard

My first option is to become a SEAL, but at 38, it might be very difficult to get an age waiver. A former SEAL and SEAL instructor, though, told me that the oldest he's seen at BUDs is 39. So there is a very slim chance I could get in.
I am also interested and capable of cryptographic work, so becoming and Information Warfare Officer is my second option.
My third option is Intel.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My first option is to become a SEAL, but at 38, it might be very difficult to get an age waiver. A former SEAL and SEAL instructor, though, told me that the oldest he's seen at BUDs is 39. So there is a very slim chance I could get in.
I am also interested and capable of cryptographic work, so becoming and Information Warfare Officer is my second option.
My third option is Intel.

The chances of getting a OCS slot for SEAL aren't just slim, they are really, really......really slim. I think a number mentioned on this board was something like 6 slots a year and then you would probably be competing with sailors who are SEALs already. So not exactly impossible but pretty damn close to it, especially with your age.

As for IW or Intel you may or may not be surprised that other folks out there are applying for DCO in the reserves with similar qualifications. That may be your best option for a commission with your age but you would not be a shoe-in, there are lots of folks to include other PhD's, the Vice President's son and civilian intel and IW folks that you would be competing against for the available DCO slots. And unless you are a lawyer or doc it is rare to get commissioned as anything but an O-1. It has happened but it is rare, even for PhDs with significant experience.

ard

As for IW or Intel you may or may not be surprised that other folks out there are applying for DCO in the reserves with similar qualifications. That may be your best option for a commission with your age but you would not be a shoe-in, there are lots of folks to include other PhD's, the Vice President's son and civilian intel and IW folks that you would be competing against for the available DCO slots. And unless you are a lawyer or doc it is rare to get commissioned as anything but an O-1. It has happened but it is rare, even for PhDs with significant experience.

Navy Reserve is not an option for me. I'm prior service, so the maximum age for me to enter OCS is 41, not 35.

MasterBates

Navy Reserve is not an option for me. I'm prior service, so the maximum age for me to enter OCS is 41, not 35.

Why is reserve not an option?

And why do so many wait until they are "way too old" to decide to be a SEALspyAviatorFO?

bd2575

1180 FS 06JAN2013
My first option is to become a SEAL, but at 38, it might be very difficult will be impossible to get an age waiver. A former SEAL and SEAL instructor, though, told me that the oldest he's seen at BUDs is 39. So there is a very slim chance I could get in.

Even if your prior service consisted of an extensive SOF background, there's no way this will happen. The Navy can get almost 20 years of service out of an Enlisted guy by the time he's your age, and ~15 out of an officer. By the time you were accepted (Oct '13 is about as soon as you'd conceivably hear, by the way) and made it through, you'd be pushing 40 as a platoon AOIC. How worth it do you think that'd be to the Navy, considering that's almost the age of SEAL Team COs (O-5s)?

Scott Caviston (SEAL & SWCC Scout Team) said:
Age waivers are important considerations. The Navy looks at a guy who is 28, 29, 30 and says, "How much serviceable time could we get out of this guy before age-related physical conditions become a problem?" That's why the max age is set at 28 before a waiver is required, and only two more years are even considered -- under the most lenient of environements, when we are having difficulty meeting class quotas. Classes are full now, so guys requiring waivers are long-shots, especially age waivers and significant medical or legal issues.

The days of guys in their late 30s going to BUD/S appear to be over. Also, the single digits per year going to OCS on a SPECWAR billet is a little bit of dated gouge. There were 21 selected for the program this year. Competition is stiff, but it's not the "five in five hundred" hyperbole that floats around every now and then.

ard

Why is reserve not an option?

And why do so many wait until they are "way too old" to decide to be a SEALspyAviatorFO?

Reserve is not an option because I not wish to continue in my professional career.

To answer the second part, I can only answer for myself. I made up my mind in the 90's, when I was appointed to one of the service academies. For reasons I will not discuss, here, I left the academy. I'm a different stage in my life.

MasterBates

Well, there are always other professional options besides what you are doing.. I'm a couple years younger than you and I've done:
Welder
Truck Mechanic
Motorcycle Mechanic
Roofer
Truck Driver
Commercial Helo Pilot
Naval Aviator
Product Design Engineer
Jet Engine Test Engineer
Machinist
Oilfield Engineer

Plus a smattering of other stuff.

I may be wrong with you, but we have seen a bunch of mid life crisis types lately.. They had "Their Reasons" for not serving when the current wars were kicking off, and now that things are winding down, all of a sudden they want to be Naval Aviators, SEALs and all sorts of other things..

Why didn't you try to come back in the 01-05 timeframe when your age would not have been as big of an issue?

Renegade One

None
For reasons I will not discuss, here, I left the academy. I'm a different stage in my life.
Think I understand your life change, but that's a new data point for us here...surely is for me. Your prior Academy appointment and then departure, for whatever reason, is just another thing that will take some explaining...because it's part of the permanent record, for better or worse.

May be some time for a small dose of "tough love", my friend. Others above, all of whom are much closer to the "ground truth" about today's accession processes and opportunities, are giving "best known advice" to you, and you as a prior service guy also seem to have done some homework. I truly hope you get a great outcome out of your current journey.

That said...there are too many trains that would seem to have left the station for you...IMH...and uninformed, but perfectly honest...O. Some of those trains left by your own dispatch. Those were the best ones to have been on. But...no looking back...I get that.

As you are a two-day member, I don't know much more about you, but I gather you've been "doing something else" for the past 15 years or so...am seem to be good at it. I'm sorry, but I think you should keep doing that. You seem to be in a profession that has some touch points with young people...yes? If you love the Navy as much as I think you TRULY do...encourage the best and brightest of THOSE folks to "Go Navy"...and share your own life experiences with them.

Best advice I can give. But good luck in this.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You can be the Lead Ensign...assuming you are up for that kind of challenge.

Seriously though, I've only heard of doctors, lawyers, and other professional types getting the direct commission to O-2/O-3. Never anyone in the URL communities.

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
As going active duty may not be an option for you, at least in the capacity you are seeking, have you ever thought about going into an industry that supports the military as a civilian? When I decided that I was going to put my package together I was coming up with backup plans right and left. If your previous profession was science related, there would conceivably be a multitude of opportunities available to you in the defense industry. That was something I had thought about as a backup plan. However, what I really strongly considered came out of my girlfriend's experience as a Navy nurse. I started researching the Wounded Warrior Project a lot and would have really loved to get involved with them or a similar organization, either doing research or just supporting warriors setting up events and what not. Just my two cents, but if AD does not prove to be an option for you, there are still a number of ways to serve your country if that is what you are truly passionate about.

Status
Not open for further replies.