• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High Pulse at MEPS

mbraesicke

Ranger
I went to MEPS today and kept pulling a pulse of ~120. They measured it about 3 times and couldn't get it under 110. I was thinking it was due to the coffee I had before I showed up (I know...I know), coupled with the stress of being herded around the halls like livestock. They gave me a couple hours for it to get down while I did the other tests.

When I went in for the individual meeting with the Doc I told him the problem. He got the same results but noticed that I was running a fever. After taking my temp and verifying that I did have a high fever, he notated that on my file as the cause for my unusually high pulse and sent me home. He made it sound like the fever explained the high pulse, and that he passed me for it, but I'm not sure if i'll have to pass it again next time I go in to finish what I have left. I've been an athlete for most of my life and have a resting pulse around 55-60.

So, I guess i'm asking if anyone knows if a high pulse can be passed if there is evidence of a fever at the time it was taken, or if i've got to retake it. And if I do need to get my pulse taken again will I have to wake up at 330 and drive an hour to MEPS or can I get it taken at my local clinic.

Thanks fellas

navy09

None
I went in for a physical once (either USNA or ROTC initial) and had a sky high blood pressure as a very fit 18 yr old water polo player. I'd just stuffed my face with fast food and a soda right before the physical. That coupled with being a little apprehensive about the physical shot my BP super high. It wasn't high enough to fail but it was close. Since then every time I've had a mil physical I tried to schedule it early and I would never eat a big meal or any caffeine beforehand. I've always had "normal" BPs since.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
As long as you don't have constant tachycardia (HR >100bpm) it shouldn't be a big deal. Caffeine, anxiety, and fever can all contribute to it. Is your resting HR back to normal?

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
So, I guess i'm asking if anyone knows if a high pulse can be passed if there is evidence of a fever at the time it was taken, or if i've got to retake it. And if I do need to get my pulse taken again will I have to wake up at 330 and drive an hour to MEPS or can I get it taken at my local clinic.

Thanks fellas

Did the Doc tell you that you needed to come back and redo anything? This is something that you need to take up with your recruiter and the doc involved. Nobody here is going to be able to tell you if your doc cleared you. We're good, but not that good.

mbraesicke

Ranger
I know some Doctors are on this site that could answer the question, hoping one of them crosses over it. He wasn't clear on what happened next, as far as I know I just have to go back and finish the height/weight and excersizes. He made it seem like I didnt have to redo the pulse because the evidence of a fever overrode it. Pulse= 60 now, but everytime I get hooked to one of those machines it shoots up.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Pulse= 60 now, but everytime I get hooked to one of those machines it shoots up.

That's completely normal. When I went through I had a high pulse and BP. Had to document my HR every morning when I woke up and report back to the Doc after a week. Flight physicals ALWAYS make me nervous. If he/she didn't definitively tell you that you needed to come back and try again, I'm willing to bet that you're in the clear and just need to finish up the leftovers.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Pepe and C420 are right. Ditch the caffiene at least 12 hours prior to next time you go in for a visit. Hydrate more and try to relax. Most docs are very sympathetic to the issue. Lots of folks will have increase in HR and/or BP due to no other reason than being in a doc's office.