• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High Finance or Aviation - Fearful of making a choice I will regret.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
My wife works in finance, I fly the orange and white. Everywhere we ever go people ask me about my job, not hers. People write books, make movies, and video games about my job, not hers (except when people in that business commit crimes). You can do both, you'll just have to do them in a certain order. And if you don't already come from big time money, you are almost certainly not going to rise into it. If you do already come from that kind of background... you probably weren't going to be that interested in a military life to begin with.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
My wife works in finance, I fly the orange and white. Everywhere we ever go people ask me about my job, not hers. People write books, make movies, and video games about my job, not hers (except when people in that business commit crimes). You can do both, you'll just have to do them in a certain order. And if you don't already come from big time money, you are almost certainly not going to rise into it. If you do already come from that kind of background... you probably weren't going to be that interested in a military life to begin with.

Everytime im out, I get asked “what should I buy?” I’m on buy/sell restrictions… hold restrictions, etc… it fucking sucks to say the least. You use all your knowledge to make others money. Let alone your bonus, you could’ve tripled it easily trading yourself.

I work in the industry, love/hate relationship for it. Excited to move on though and begin my journey as a Naval Officer.

Knowing how the ladder works and how to climb it now. Being a Naval Officer will set me apart from almost every other candidate in the finance world. I plan on getting my masters as well.

Sonog

pilot
Everytime im out, I get asked “what should I buy?” I’m on buy/sell restrictions… hold restrictions, etc… it fucking sucks to say the least. You use all your knowledge to make others money. Let alone your bonus, you could’ve tripled it easily trading yourself.

I work in the industry, love/hate relationship for it. Excited to move on though and begin my journey as a Naval Officer.

Knowing how the ladder works and how to climb it now. Being a Naval Officer will set me apart from almost every other candidate in the finance world. I plan on getting my masters as well.

I would caution that leveraging military experience in a career switch is not as easy as most people in the military think it is.

Fallonflyr

pilot
I would caution that leveraging military experience in a career switch is not as easy as most people in the military think it is.
Unless you are going to the airlines…my company has started a program where you can be offered a job as soon as you are winged. Of course the economy might be different 10 years from now but the plan is to become a 28,000 pilot seniority list in the next 10 years. We are currently around 16,000 now and 10,000 of the old f’cks (like me) will be gone.

z3kracer

My cat's breath smells like cat food.
pilot
Unless you are going to the airlines…my company has started a program where you can be offered a job as soon as you are winged. Of course the economy might be different 10 years from now but the plan is to become a 28,000 pilot seniority list in the next 10 years. We are currently around 16,000 now and 10,000 of the old f’cks (like me) will be gone.
Which company/program are you referring to? Asking for a friend…

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
<SARCASM> . . . what you do mean the mere holding of a security clearance won't guarantee you a comfortable six-figure job in project management with a company that's never been and never will be a cleared defense contractor? They told me my military career let me absorb such mad project management skillz that I'd be a shoe in for project manager jobs doing project management, and they'd be throwing project manager job offers at my feet to do project management when I got out!! </SARCASM>

I wish this wasn't the proverbial "going-in-game-plan" for way too many vets I've seen while volunteering in vet recruiting with my company. Then you mention P&L, PMBOK, earned value, and watch their eyes glaze over and they start to stutter. And I don't even formally work in waterfall project management . . . which is even more ironic given my civilian job title is "Project Manager," but there's a whole two or three beers to be drunk over me explaining why that's AFU in the first place.

Ezejay_11

Hello all,

I posted on this forum about two years ago regarding my decision to pursue Naval Aviation and everything that comes with that career path. Since coming to college (I am now a sophomore), I have elected to study Finance and pursue that as my major of choice, with a minor in entrepreneurship. My plan was to initially get a degree in Finance and pursue OCS straight out of college with hopes of achieving an SNA slot in the future. I have had my PPL for about two years now, and flying is something that has always brought me joy and a sense of upmost fulfillment.

However, I recently stumbled upon a competitive school program that helps place students in IB and Sales & Trading. I interviewed for the program after extensive prep and was accepted, and the distant idea of a career in high finance is now an impending reality as these jobs are highly competitive, require hundreds of hours of mock interviews and preparation to even have a shot at a summer internship. I am now anxious about making the decision to pursue this fully, as I feel like I would be giving up on one of my childhood dreams. I feel like I have a very decent chance at achieving an SNA slot, based upon not only all the mock interview prep but test prep skills I have already learned in my finance program alongside my 3.9 GPA and extracurricular involvements (clubs, fraternity, hobbies) that showcase my whole person concept.

I would greatly appreciate any insights, especially from those who may have faced a similar choice or are familiar with these industries. How did you decide? Do you have any regrets? Is there a balance to be found, or is it a case of choosing one path over the other?
Im a little late, but why not keep the finance job and do Air National Guard? You can keep your job and fly pointy nose things!