• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High Finance or Aviation - Fearful of making a choice I will regret.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Better plan. Fly for as long as you can, leave the Navy, go to your pick of top-flight MBA because a.) you have great grades in pertinent subjects and b.) you'll have the military stink on you. Then go build spreadsheets and get paid lotsa dollars to do it.

That’s my plan, I just got picked up to be an SNA. I currently work at a very well known firm. CFA level I candidate, Bloomberg market concepts cert, series 7/63.

Get my masters while I’m in, get out with more experience than any associate. Move up the ladder quick.

Plus I can trade when I have time, SEC has me on lockdown I can’t trade which sucks. That’s were all my knowledge is.

Never at 23 did I think I’d be placing multi million dollar trades. Real eye opener when you see how much money is traded at a high level especially when you’re in the hot seat

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Go to flight school, do cool shit, join an airline and have a ton of time off, invest your own money for the next 40 years, retire rich and happy. Boom, you’re done.

My Dad does that now ahhaha. He’s been a Captain for some time now. Clearing 500k easily every year. Trades on the side.

Sonog

pilot
Also, the wisdom and experience of flying ten years in the Navy won't make you a better finance bro. However, what it will do will give you a ton of life experience that will make you better to handle the real world jobs versus a 20 something.

You will either determine pretty quickly that the time and stress of IB is not for you and move on, or you will be much better than your peers at managing stress (80+ hour weeks are common when deployed, and come on man its spreadsheets and slide decks, not landing on the back of the boat at night) and not get burned out. After just a few years of experience, no one will be able to tell that you're still new to the game. They will see a professional, grown ass man/woman who is indistinguishable from someone with a decade of experience who went right in out of college. Last point is a big assumption, but naval aviation is a learning business, and you will learn quickly in the business world. At that point you will also learn that being a former pilot is and should be the 6th most interesting thing about yourself, and you will be able to tactically drop that data point to wow people when its most appropriate.

Edit: Again, not in IB. But I think this is pretty good mil to civ advice in general.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I’ve had the opportunity to interview a bunch of high finance guys (part of a post-9/11 gig). When I walked into their office I looked around and if I saw an MBA diploma on the wall and a few acrylic “winner of the day” trophies I knew it was going to be a boring interview. These guys talk money, make money, and love money…but they have almost nothing else in their lives. When I walked in the offices of people who had military medals, photos of wardroom pals (or pictures of the elementary school they taught at, former students…) and such I simply got a better interview - they had lived a life before they made their bank (and they knew it). Don’t get me wrong, money is great and I love having it around, but there is something to be said about serving something before you serve your wallet.

taxi1

pilot
Finance dude anecdote...

We were lounging at a pretty nice resort in the Seychelles, drinking beer on a back deck overlooking an insanely beautiful sunset. Not advertising our employer or what we did for a living, as not a lot of people knew we were there. Needed haircuts.

This couple was there, 30-ish? Newlyweds, and the guy was a Wall Street kid who could afford to take his new wife halfway around the world. Definitely making some money. Very cool.

We got to chatting, and he was bragging on and on to us about various feats of physical courage, impressing his new bride. I think some involved flying. We very quickly passed that point after which it would have just been awkward to tell him that between us, we had a few thousand day and night carrier landings, an over-water ejection, and many hours of combat time. We just oohed and aahed, and complimented her on the choice of husband. :)

I wonder how it worked out for them.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
To the OP, in light of the passing of Coach Bobby Knight, take his advice.

Renegade One

None
Hello all,

I posted on this forum about two years ago regarding my decision to pursue Naval Aviation and everything that comes with that career path. Since coming to college (I am now a sophomore), I have elected to study Finance and pursue that as my major of choice, with a minor in entrepreneurship. My plan was to initially get a degree in Finance and pursue OCS straight out of college with hopes of achieving an SNA slot in the future. I have had my PPL for about two years now, and flying is something that has always brought me joy and a sense of upmost fulfillment.

However, I recently stumbled upon a competitive school program that helps place students in IB and Sales & Trading. I interviewed for the program after extensive prep and was accepted, and the distant idea of a career in high finance is now an impending reality as these jobs are highly competitive, require hundreds of hours of mock interviews and preparation to even have a shot at a summer internship. I am now anxious about making the decision to pursue this fully, as I feel like I would be giving up on one of my childhood dreams. I feel like I have a very decent chance at achieving an SNA slot, based upon not only all the mock interview prep but test prep skills I have already learned in my finance program alongside my 3.9 GPA and extracurricular involvements (clubs, fraternity, hobbies) that showcase my whole person concept.

I would greatly appreciate any insights, especially from those who may have faced a similar choice or are familiar with these industries. How did you decide? Do you have any regrets? Is there a balance to be found, or is it a case of choosing one path over the other?
Fuck it. Go Finance/High Finance and frigging Entrepreneurship. You obviously don't feel Naval Aviation in your gut. Go with whatever you feel in your gut.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You're talking a lot about money. You will make the (comparatively) tiny bucks flying navy planes. They are big bucks by most American's standards, but not professional class, finance bro, tech, or even airline pilot money. A 4 star admiral makes far less than most major airline pilots (save maybe the first couple years), much less a person making the big bucks on Wall Street. If that is your passion, you won't realize it here.