• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High Blood Pressure

Meyerkord

pilot
Wow I had no idea they would work with you that much at OCS. I was under the impression that a couple high readings (even borderline) would completely DQ you from any aviation jobs. So in your experience, what happened after you had multiple high readings and saw the doctor? Did he put a cuff on you or something?
My roommate had the same sort of thing. At OCS, if you read high, they'll have you come back for the next 3 days to get different readings. He was still reading somewhat high when we got to Pensacola so they gave him an at-home cuff to wear, and it took a reading every 15 minutes. He brought it back a few days later if I recall. Definitely not a disqualifier if it's within a reasonable range.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Wow I had no idea they would work with you that much at OCS. I was under the impression that a couple high readings (even borderline) would completely DQ you from any aviation jobs. So in your experience, what happened after you had multiple high readings and saw the doctor? Did he put a cuff on you or something?

I honestly couldn't tell you. I was eventually NPQ'd at OCS for something unrelated so I never got far enough to address the high blood pressure. Doesn't much matter now, since I'm yet one more dude in the Navy on blood pressure meds and now drive a desk.

srp_4737

I honestly couldn't tell you. I was eventually NPQ'd at OCS for something unrelated so I never got far enough to address the high blood pressure. Doesn't much matter now, since I'm yet one more dude in the Navy on blood pressure meds and now drive a desk.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Were you originally going for SNA at OCS?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Sorry to hear that happened to you. Were you originally going for SNA at OCS?

Thanks. It sucked pretty hard at the time, but I've been able to do some very cool things in the Navy that I otherwise would not have been able to do if I was an airdale. And yes, I was initially brought in on an SNA contract but left OCS as a SWO. Now I'm an EDO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nobody under the age of 60 uses the term airdale. Conversely, everyone uses the term Shoe. :)

exNavyOffRec

Nobody under the age of 60 uses the term airdale. Conversely, everyone uses the term Shoe. :)

LOL, nukes on CVN's use "airdale" all the time, usually preceded by some type of expletive, and often in response to chow lines, example "there are so many f***ing airdales in the chow line I won't get a chance to eat" :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
LOL, nukes on CVN's use "airdale" all the time, usually preceded by some type of expletive, and often in response to chow lines, example "there are so many f***ing airdales in the chow line I won't get a chance to eat" :)
All of those people are now >60 years old.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Thanks. It sucked pretty hard at the time, but I've been able to do some very cool things in the Navy that I otherwise would not have been able to do if I was an airdale. And yes, I was initially brought in on an SNA contract but left OCS as a SWO. Now I'm an EDO.

What’s an airdale?

srp_4737

Well I guess all I can do is hope they allow me to wear a 24 hour cuff at OCS haha. I am consistently 115/60 at home or at a free BP machine. At the clinic I am consistently 140/80 because I'm stressed about a high reading and nervous because my career is at stake. I'll be sure to let the flight surgeon know and hope he lets me take a breather to get it down. Thanks everyone!

Meyerkord

pilot
Well I guess all I can do is hope they allow me to wear a 24 hour cuff at OCS haha. I am consistently 115/60 at home or at a free BP machine. At the clinic I am consistently 140/80 because I'm stressed about a high reading and nervous because my career is at stake. I'll be sure to let the flight surgeon know and hope he lets me take a breather to get it down. Thanks everyone!
White Coat Syndrome. Not uncommon. I'm sure you'll be alright.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
140/80 is elevated but normally does not require medication. 140/90 is the normal start point for meds.

Dontcallmegump

pilot

I also had to come back for the 3 day twice a day routine.

It actually ended up working out pretty well, you leave whatever training is going on for about an hour, you sit in the medical waiting room for about 30 minutes of that, then you go to the exam room, put on the cuff and they leave you there for another 10-15 minutes and I was told to lay down. Basicly, try to go to sleep, (wont be hard) and when they come back you'll naturally be relaxed and should have good readings. By the 2nd or third day it becomes reliving to go through the process and see that your fine and that has a cumulative effect on the whole process. Medical knows that people get nervous and anxious and they wouldent be very good at their jobs if they let that DQ healthy people.

Enjoy the small times of sanity and study your gouge pack while you're waiting around.

Python

pilot
Contributor
ha, some of those people are just now pushing 30, many younger, and I am still seeing it used on some of the nuke pages I am on.

Never heard it before. Asked around and no other aviators I know heard of it. Is it supposed to be offensive? Because whatever the opposite of offended is, is how I feel.