• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE

GPUSMMA13

I have high blood pressure, and take medicine daily to control it. I am a senior at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, and am attempting to commission active duty Navy and enter flight school. Is there any way to get this problem cleared so I will not be disqualified?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lay off the salt and see if it is diet induced or hereditary. Although you probably already know that answer, right?

r/
G
KP 85-5

GPUSMMA13

Will lay off the salt. I think the problem is somewhat hereditary, but going here to Kings Point doesn't help at all, due to the stress, haha.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Coming from me this will be especially ironic, but maybe lay off the ALL CAPS when posting? :p

Renegade One

None
Here's the deal...blood pressure can be a freaking boogeyman. Assuming you "Pass" the NAMI or whatever physicals...every time an HM straps a BP cuff to your arm, you're likely to suffer from what's recognized as "White Coat Syndrome"...e.g., your BP is unusually high ONLY because your BP is being taken FOR THE RECORD. No stress at all during your Annual FP, right? You're probably perfectly normal the rest of the time...

I've always been "suspect" of "numbers" that are a societal norm, but don't speak at all to my body, my genetics, or what may be "normal" for me. That argument falls on deaf ears in an organization that's tailored to the "5th to 95th"percentile.

This is a good question for Feddoc or others closer to today's PQ standards/authorized controlling meds/life-style modifiers, etc.

exNavyOffRec

I have high blood pressure, and take medicine daily to control it. I am a senior at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, and am attempting to commission active duty Navy and enter flight school. Is there any way to get this problem cleared so I will not be disqualified?

If you are currently on medication and it is in your medical records you will get dinged with "history of XXXXX" if you were not on medication it would be much easier to get pass this issue, but generally when you are put on medication it means all other means have been exhausted.

FYI, I had an applicant who's BP was borderline hovered right about 140, his doc put him on BP meds as a preventative measure, he then went off them to come in, med docs submitted and even though he was able to get BP reading under 140 he was PDQ due to "history of high BP with medication"