• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hi Moms

McBuff

Sees the light
Hope this is an acceptable place for this question.

Any Newport OCS grads have their Hi Mom's at an awesome place? We're looking at Belle Mer, Atlantic beach club, Pronto and the O Club, but suggestions would be helpful. We're thinking more like a cocktail party with a small meal. Hoping for $30-50/person. Any help would be appreciated.

MasterBates

Barring it being a shithole, the O-Club is usually a good bet, and normally one of the cheaper options.

Also, check into the CPO club if the O-Club is teh ghey.

My OCS Class (01-02) had our himoms at the Pcola CPO club. I think the O-Club was booked for a Dining out or some such event.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

Any Newport OCS grads have their Hi Mom's at an awesome place? We're looking at Belle Mer, Atlantic beach club, Pronto and the O Club, but suggestions would be helpful. We're thinking more like a cocktail party with a small meal. Hoping for $30-50/person. Any help would be appreciated.
I would advise against this. Are there no priors in your class with families back home to feed? Are there no people with immediate families that might end up paying in excess of $200? These people are going to be faced with the decision to A) pay a huge amount of money so their family can be present or B) make their family do something else while they hang out with the same dudes they've been around for the past 3 months at a $50 premium since attendance is mandatory.

Our philosophy was that we were going to want to use the night to spend time with family, so we made the hi-moms cheap and short. Anyone who wanted to go out to eat with their families afterward, could, and we got a better meal out of it. You guys might not want to go that route, but $50/head is still too steep, especially for catered food which is ALWAYS shitty quality (If there exists good catering out there, I've never witnessed it). Cost $7/head, $12 after the CO made us up the amount of food (and it didn't go). Everyone was happy. My family and I went out to a nicer place for dinner afterward, and I saw a few people there. Others decided to spend their time elsewhere.

My power school class, consisting of ~100 people, went the opposite route for grad party...cost $30/head for burgers/hotdogs/$2 any draught beer + band at a more "classy" place. Yea, all the 22 year olds loved the reduced drink prices, as did I...but there were some people *gasp* who didn't drink, and others who had families where $90-150 was OTT. This caused arguments and crap, but ultimately those with families were able to back out of the party. I'm sure those people might have gone at $10-15/head, which probably could've been done.

The moral of the story:
Some people are going to say I'm a cheap bastard, but whenever you plan mandatory fun you have to consider that not everyone has a huge amount of money to blow on one night out with the crowd. Putting people into that situation just makes everything more stressful and pisses people off.

I can understand why you want to go all-out and make this night 'special,' but you still have to consider that not everyone will be in the same financial situation as you. An alternative solution is to make hi-mom's cheap, and you and whoever else wants to drop exhorbitant amounts of money can make reservations at another restaurant for later and have fun together.*

*Disclaimer: If your entire class happens to be single guys who were living at home prior to OCS and have little to no bills, by all means spend away.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It's a dinner that you have with your class + class team where parents/wives/girlfriends can come. You also show a video that gives some "highlights" of OCS.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
+1 for the O-club, did ours there, it was an awesome good time, and the cheapest option by far.

badger16

None
We did ours at the ABC. It was a real nice time. I would say the O-club though. We had our dinning In there and it was awesome. Especially if the back deck is open....may be a little too early for that.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

We had ours at the Atlantic Beach Club and it was a really nice facility and reasonably priced.

McBuff

Sees the light
Obviously not much time to type, but thanks for the help, the small, short dinner actually doesn't sound too bad.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'm surprised that there isn't some sort of "dues" that you need to pay into an operations fund at the very beginning. Makes it so you can have cash for leverage when negotiating with facililties up front. But I'll never be the CO of Navy OCS, so I'm just being rhetorical.

Whatever you choose, hope all turns out well.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I'm surprised that there isn't some sort of "dues" that you need to pay into an operations fund at the very beginning. Makes it so you can have cash for leverage when negotiating with facililties up front. But I'll never be the CO of Navy OCS, so I'm just being rhetorical.

Whatever you choose, hope all turns out well.
You do, and keeping things cheap means that you can give a nice refund at the end.