• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Hi" Approaches

AvroT

It looks like all the High Approaches, to PAX start at or above 2500' MSL. Check out this site for all your airfield specifics. I'm not sure I call a 2500' start a high approach.
Anyone offhand know what determines a High approach.

-ea6bflyr ;)

This is an unappealing set of plates and I would not enjoy flying them without familiarity.

For HI-TACAN RWY 06: The profile view picks up the procedure at 2500 MSL for the FAC. When I first looked at it I thought it was some type of abbreviated view, but given that there are three separate IAFs (two of which arc from opposite directions), it appears to be the only reasonable option.

The result is that you have to refer to the plan view for altitude guidance (I've never seen altitude printed on plan view before). I wouldn't be surprised if people routinely come onto final at 7000 MSL vice 2500. Have you seen that, AC2?

At 150 ground speed you'd be falling around 2300 fpm to hit FAF.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Hmmm, I always thought the HI-TACAN 7L at NPA was for SNFO torture. Nice to see they have a purpose :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmmm, I always thought the HI-TACAN 7L at NPA was for SNFO torture. Nice to see they have a purpose :)

If you compare the TACAN and Hi-TACAN @ NPA RWY 7L, then you will see that the Hi-TACAN, while a bit easier, has a lot of altitude to lose. The regular TACAN approach is a bit more painful due to the LONG arc. PLUS, as a bonus with the regular TACAN, students have to hit SIDNY and turn in to hit the point then turn onto the arc which causes many spontaneous head explosions.

If you want some real fun/torture, try the Hi-TACAN RWY 1L at NAS Meridian/NMM. The key is to dirty up in the arc. I've seen many a student screw this one up.

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What's so hard about that approach?

I hated this one in the sim.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0813/00354HI21.PDF

We flew into roswell on my primary xc specifically to shoot that approach, and it wasn't too bad, but we weren't doing more than 200. Having a big manhole cover out in front and a speed brake made that drop easier, too.

I could see how faster would get very busy in a hurry, with simulated emergencies being icing on the cake.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's so hard about that approach?

I hated this one in the sim.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0813/00354HI21.PDF

I didn't say it was hard, but students being students, tend to get behind the aircraft and with the TACAN being 4 miles from the TDZ, it really confuses them.

As for your NM Approach, it looks pretty straight forward....unless you are coming in from the West, then you have to figure out how to hit JENOM without holding.

-ea6bflyr ;)

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
CVN-68 Med Cruise, late 70's. Case III night recovery, ship's TACAN inop, overhead marshall for a CV-2 approach. http://www.skyhawk.org/specials/cv-natops-21oct99.pdf figure 5-3 on page 5-8.
Basically it ends up being an ADF approach since the ship's TACAN is inop. Back then I think we actually had a published overhead ADF approach. I'm in an A-7 tanker marshalled at the top of the stack (KA-6 must have been sour). Nobody has the approach plate with them 'cause we all had the standard CV-1 procedure memorized. CATCC is issuing instructions for marshall and approach including the BRC and final bearing. I'm looking down, watching aircraft push in every conceivable direction. Good thing it was a clear night and the ship's lights were visible so that everybody could at least arc to the final bearing. There was much laughing going on in the readyrooms that night AFTER everyone got aboard.