• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hey Navy, We’re Doing This Aviation Thing All Wrong

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
How about this: make a list of missions that generally have a higher risk of frat than SEAD. --that list is long.

Now, make a list of missions that generally have a lower risk of frat than SEAD. -- that list is short.

Get it? The impending arrival of the AARGM even furthers this point.

Of all the missions I do that I believe might be easiest for a drone to take over, SEAD is right up there at the top. Especially if it is pre-planned SEAD for a strike. Reactive SEAD is a little different.

Okie doke.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only blue on blue SEAD I can think of was a Brit Tornado taking a shot at a Patriot battery that took a shot at him.

That was an F-16 that fired a HARM at a Patriot battery, the Hornet and Tornado that were shot down didn't shoot at the Patriots. I remember them all too well since I flew through those same areas shortly after.

How about this: make a list of missions that generally have a higher risk of frat than SEAD. --that list is long.

Now, make a list of missions that generally have a lower risk of frat than SEAD. -- that list is short.

Get it? The impending arrival of the AARGM even furthers this point.

Of all the missions I do that I believe might be easiest for a drone to take over, SEAD is right up there at the top. Especially if it is pre-planned SEAD for a strike. Reactive SEAD is a little different.

I think you are oversimplifying the problem and how complex it could be for SEAD especially when sending more than just trons downrange, especially in a more 'crowded' battle where the enemy is much more savvy and capable technologically than the ones we face now. Bottom line, if it involves ordnance I wouldn't want 'robo-anything' roaming the battlefield, especially one that could cut itself off from it controllers simply by doing it's intended job.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Personally, I don't think UCLASS is going to survive this "opposed budget environment" we've got nowadays. There's just too many technological hurdles to overcome for the dollars required and no real demand from any customers. And remember that the X-47 is just a technology demonstrator - demonstrating that you can fly fixed-wing UAVs off a carrier - not an operational asset.

UAVs are good for persistent ISR. Armed drones are good for armed ISR, because a persistent look satisfies everyone's ROE demands - the guy we're looking for is really in that truck, he's the only one in that truck, that's definitely the right truck, the truck's nowhere near a orphanage, etc etc. So it makes sense for the same "unblinking eye" to have the Hellfire onboard, rather than try to hand the shot off to a manned aircraft, where you'd have to do the whole damned process all over again. One less failure point.

As far as it being a strike or SEAD asset...not gonna happen any time soon, and there's a lot of time, research and money between now and there. We're technologically a looooooooong way from the dogfighting murderbots.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Apparently the benevolent robot masters are displeased and have taken to kamikaze tactics to show their anger.
Pickle
http://us.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=26048&external=2424188.proteus.fma
Lol makes me remember flying a PUMA SUAS into the rear of the USS Oak Hill after the chain insisted we attempt to land it in the well deck. The ship took a turn to starboard instead of staying her course. Footage was epic, unfortunately it was on a classified hard drive.

BigRed389

None
Lol makes me remember flying a PUMA SUAS into the rear of the USS Oak Hill after the chain insisted we attempt to land it in the well deck. The ship took a turn to starboard instead of staying her course. Footage was epic, unfortunately it was on a classified hard drive.

We just bashed ours into the flight deck. Actually worked out pretty well.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
We just bashed ours into the flight deck. Actually worked out pretty well.
That was what we wanted to do but there were two Marine helos on deck and they were not letting it come anywhere near the flight or boat deck. Also all kinds of tricons and conex boxes so space was at a premium.

Ship didn't want to launch a boat to recover all the time. We learned from that to just bring a zodiac and kick out the well deck, unfortunately didn't have any on that op.