• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hey guys, have a situation here...

RickRoss27

Banned
I'm a junior in high school, and I've wanted to litterally be a pilot in the Navy since I could talk. In a few years I will be going to a top aviation school where I will be majoring in aviation where I will get all my ratings, CFI, CFII, MEI, etc. When I'm in college, I will be applying to Navy BDCP until I finally get a SNA contract. If I don't get one, I am going to Navy OCS with a guaranteed flight contract. Although, I was just reminded about medical records, and I'm pretty much "freaking out." When I was in elementary school, I was diagnosed with ADD and OCD. However, I was later able to prove these disabilities wrong. I'm a 3.7 student at a major private school in all APs and Honor classes, so "if I ever did have ADD," it's not affecting me at all obviously. My OCD with a little bit of Tics was always "VERY MINOR." It never affected me in anyway, I just literally obsessed over my career every day... Will these two disorders affect me from getting being a pilot in the Navy? If it does I don't know what I would do with myself, have been waiting for this chance for seventeen years... Will I still be able to go? I haven't taken medication for ADD since I was in middle school. I will soon be seeing my doctor who diagnosed me with this bullshit, who will write that I've been treated of both of these disorders, and I am now cured. Will I be good to go, need waivers, or am I screwed? I think the problem today with psychiatrists is that they are all pill pushers.:icon_rage

Thank you

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My OCD with a little bit of Tics was always "VERY MINOR." It never affected me in anyway... ADD since I was in middle school. I will soon be seeing my doctor who diagnosed me with this bullshit, who will write that I've been treated of both of these disorders, and I am now cured. Will I be good to go, need waivers, or am I screwed? I think the problem today with psychiatrists is that they are all pill pushers.:icon_rage

Thank you

You sure?:D;) Just kidding.

First bit of advice. Freaking relax. You are going to bust a gasket thinking about things you have no control over.

Second step. Relax. You are on step 6 and are worried about step 567 in the process of becoming a Naval Aviator.

Third step. Focus on what you can do right now. Get the best grades you are possibly capable of. Participate in extracurricular activities that you enjoy and take leadership roles when they are available. Get into the best college you can, that offers the field and activities that you are interested in. Rinse lather and repeat.

Ultimately what will make you a success, both in life and in aviation is creating a pattern of excellence in what you are doing right now, not worrying obsessively about 4 years down the road. Good luck.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Welcome to the club. Relax and don't forget to breathe. Heed Scoober's wise words. I'm going to sound a touch Buddhist but focus on what you can control right now. In your case school and activities. There's no sense worrying what a flight doc is going to say in five or six years. You may have more hurdles than the average guy who earns a seat in flight school but that doesn't mean you should give up. It just means you have to tackle them when the appropriate time to do so comes.

If you're as motivated as you sound worried you'll do your best to have everything line up to be able to take a shot at earning a pair of wings.

RickRoss27

Banned
You sure?:D;) Just kidding.

First bit of advice. Freaking relax. You are going to bust a gasket thinking about things you have no control over.

Second step. Relax. You are on step 6 and are worried about step 567 in the process of becoming a Naval Aviator.

Third step. Focus on what you can do right now. Get the best grades you are possibly capable of. Participate in extracurricular activities that you enjoy and take leadership roles when they are available. Get into the best college you can, that offers the field and activities that you are interested in. Rinse lather and repeat.

Ultimately what will make you a success, both in life and in aviation is creating a pattern of excellence in what you are doing right now, not worrying obsessively about 4 years down the road. Good luck.

I know, but I have the chance to leave aviation now and go into something else, like finance. I just want to know if it is that big of a deal, so I can go into something else while I have the chance. I don't want to get there and find out I found myself in a trap, you only live once. Like I said, I'm a junior in high school, what I do now will affect me for the rest of my life, decisions need to be made. If I won't be able to get in Navy avation due to my medical record; I'd rather go to something like investment banking. I don't want to be stuck being a regional pilot, my passion is navy aviation whether it's jets, props, or helos; I don't care...

So basically, say I just got done with OCS... I'm going to flight school tommorow for my physical, or whenever you take it to know you can fly for the Navy. They have my medical records with this crap on it, will they say "go home, or you're going to flight school?" I've been a reader on this forum and other forums about Naval aviation for over a year, and I have seen how strict it is, no compassion or anything. I have no criminal record, no speeding tickets, nothing, except OCD and ADD, etc on my medical record. Will I be fine?

Haha thank you guys much...:icon_tong

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Are you planning on dieing at the age of 30? There's always time to do something else besides flying.

hscs

pilot
I know plenty of naval aviators with undiagnosed ADD and OCD so you should be fine...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know, but I have the chance to leave aviation now and go into something else, like finance. I just want to know if it is that big of a deal, so I can go into something else while I have the chance. I don't want to get there and find out I found myself in a trap, you only live once. Like I said, I'm a junior in high school, what I do now will affect me for the rest of my life, decisions need to be made.

Good grief, I'm w/ NavAir here. Relax and understand life is never binary. You're in HIGH SCHOOL! I don't know the specifics of what you mean that you can "do finance" now, but there's still plenty of opportunities to do both Navy and get a good degree. Maybe the school where your once in a life-time finance exposure has ROTC. Maybe it doesn't, but you still do the degree while also working on an OCS package. While working on that package, you're going to get a flight/commissioning physical. They'll tell you what does and doesn't need to be done from there. Again, you're not out the Finance gig.

Like Scoober said, RELAAAAAAAX. Let the music sooooooooooooothe you...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I know, but I have the chance to leave aviation now and go into something else, like finance. I just want to know if it is that big of a deal, so I can go into something else while I have the chance. I don't want to get there and find out I found myself in a trap, you only live once. Like I said, I'm a junior in high school, what I do now will affect me for the rest of my life, decisions need to be made. If I won't be able to get in Navy avation due to my medical record; I'd rather go to something like investment banking. I don't want to be stuck being a regional pilot, my passion is navy aviation whether it's jets, props, or helos; I don't care...

So basically, say I just got done with OCS... I'm going to flight school tommorow for my physical, or whenever you take it to know you can fly for the Navy. They have my medical records with this crap on it, will they say "go home, or you're going to flight school?" I've been a reader on this forum and other forums about Naval aviation for over a year, and I have seen how strict it is, no compassion or anything. I have no criminal record, no speeding tickets, nothing, except OCD and ADD, etc on my medical record. Will I be fine?

Haha thank you guys much...:icon_tong

The question is this: do you want to be a part of Aviation even if it's not with the Navy? If so then stay Aviation. If not, then get a degree that you see yourself using if you're not in the Navy (Finance). You can still be a Navy pilot with a finance degree, and wasting 100K on flight ratings that you'll be getting for free in the Navy is also something to think about.

Now to get into another vein on the same subject, you want to know if you should give up on this now??? You're only a freaking junior in HS! You can give up your dream to be a Naval Aviator like 99.9% of other people who have the same degree, or you can see it through to the end.

YOU decide.

I have met plenty of people who "always wanted to do that" when they hear what I do, but they gave up on it and went to law school or med school or got a business degree because being a Naval Aviator was "too hard" or "I wouldn't get in". I didn't see myself doing anything else, so I went for it, and here I am.

What are you going to do?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
TO the OP.....I think you are going to be ok..do what the others have said and concentrate on getting good grades.

How did you 'prove these disabilities wrong' ?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I'm a junior in high school, and I've wanted to litterally be a pilot in the Navy since I could talk. In a few years I will be going to a top aviation school where I will be majoring in aviation where I will get all my ratings, CFI, CFII, MEI, etc.

Word of advice, don't buy in to the schools hype, or you'll set yourself up for a LOT of frustration and disappointment when you show up. Sounds like you've swallowed it already hook, line, sinker. "Top aviation college" doesn't really say much when there are like 4 of them.

Go to a good state college, party your ass off, get a good degree in something, and fly on the side at a local FBO. The flight training is just as good, will be thousands of dollars less, and you'll get to hang out with people in school that aren't all airplane nerds. Plus the girl to guy ratio will be much more acceptable.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...dude, these days, every kid under the age of 18 was diagnosed with ADD at one point or another. If the Navy started rejecting you Ritalin kids we'd never get anybody.

You're a junior in high school, for christ's sake. Chill the fuck out and worry about the prom. Navy Air ain't going anywhere.

RickRoss27

Banned
TO the OP.....I think you are going to be ok..do what the others have said and concentrate on getting good grades.

How did you 'prove these disabilities wrong' ?

The doctor who diagnosed me with all this took tests, which proved I had no sign of ADD, nor OCD anymore. Although, it's still on my records and everything, which I'm going to discuss with him in like a week or two aboout fixing

Word of advice, don't buy in to the schools hype, or you'll set yourself up for a LOT of frustration and disappointment when you show up. Sounds like you've swallowed it already hook, line, sinker. "Top aviation college" doesn't really say much when there are like 4 of them.

Go to a good state college, party your ass off, get a good degree in something, and fly on the side at a local FBO. The flight training is just as good, will be thousands of dollars less, and you'll get to hang out with people in school that aren't all airplane nerds. Plus the girl to guy ratio will be much more acceptable.

Haha, yeah, I'm going to MTSU "state school." The pro-pilot program with all the rating CFI CFII MEI will only cost me 25k, pretty good compared to 100k+ at ERAU, while also studying AT-CTI Air Traffic Control and Entrepreneurship. Trust me, I would never would take the bate...