• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Hey Brett, is this kid in your squadron?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think we (and that's making an assumption based on my own opinion) think this kid's a douchebag for this. Hell, if my father had the ability/desire/need to create a billboard I would bet he would have done something like this out of pure proud parenthood and not recognizing what would happen once my peers got ahold of it. That being said, this is hilarious and is totally open for any squadron to develop callsigns for mocking purposes. All I hope is this dude recognizes that everyone is making fun of him for this in the spirit of ball busting that makes up naval aviation. Otherwise he's gonna have a rough time, not just because of this, but just because of how naval aviation works in general.

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . his ready room need to bring him up on charges at their next Kangaroo Court.

Does this still occur in Navy/Marine Corps Aviation, or is this yet another old school tradition lost to the past?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Maybe not. But the dudes in his ready room need to bring him up on charges at their next Kangaroo Court- because we're still warriors and this is a golden opportunity to poke a little fun at young Lt(JG?) Robinson, maybe even give him a new Callsign. Hopefully we haven't lost that much of ourselves already.

ENS. He's still in primary.

Rockriver

pilot
As uncool and embarrassing as that billboard appears to us vets, active duty types, and aspiring air warriors, it is a grand display of love, pride, and patriotism from a parent (with maybe a dash of marketing thrown in). Nothing wrong with that at all.

When I was an SNA, I once took some leave, flew into Little Rock, then got all gussied up in my dress blues so that my grandma could strut around the city on my arm, showing me off to all the other little old ladies. As awkward as the situation was, it made her day and I am glad that I did it.

Potentially even worse, when I returned stateside after my fleet tour, my mother showed me a letter she had received from my commanding officer. Apparently my mommy had written to him, wanting to ensure that her little boy was being looked after and not doing anything too dangerous. Fortunately for me, the skipper never mentioned it to anyone. I would have received a new callsign (after much spirited public debate) and it would have been painted on a canopy rail within a few hours.

Edited to change "wannabes" to "aspiring air warriors".

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

As uncool and embarrassing as that billboard appears to us vets, active duty types, and aspiring air warriors, it is a grand display of love, pride, and patriotism from a parent (with maybe a dash of marketing thrown in). Nothing wrong with that at all.

When I was an SNA, I once took some leave, flew into Little Rock, then got all gussied up in my dress blues so that my grandma could strut around the city on my arm, showing me off to all the other little old ladies. As awkward as the situation was, it made her day and I am glad that I did it.

Potentially even worse, when I returned stateside after my fleet tour, my mother showed me a letter she had received from my commanding officer. Apparently my mommy had written to him, wanting to ensure that her little boy was being looked after and not doing anything too dangerous. Fortunately for me, the skipper never mentioned it to anyone. I would have received a new callsign (after much spirited public debate) and it would have been painted on a canopy rail within a few hours.

Edited to change "wannabes" to "aspiring air warriors".

When a buddy of mine was sitting the CPO board there was one PO1 who submitted a letter from his mom so she could tell the board why he should be selected, at least with your examples the mom/dad did it without the person's knowledge, this PO1 knowingly submitted this letter.

D

Deleted member 24525

The difference is this:
Is he on here? Do you know him?
Huge difference between a ready room where everybody knows everybody and copious amounts of shit are given and taken versus some anonymous person posting this shit on the internet for the sole purpose of humiliating him. Should he get a call sign? Yes...should his squadron mates tease him relentlessly? Absofuckinglutely. Should he could go to kangaroo court? Hell yea...But if you aren't in his squadron and don't know him then this is just pure bullshit.

azguy

None
The difference is this:
Is he on here? Do you know him?
Huge difference between a ready room where everybody knows everybody and copious amounts of shit are given and taken versus some anonymous person posting this shit on the internet for the sole purpose of humiliating him. Should he get a call sign? Yes...should his squadron mates tease him relentlessly? Absofuckinglutely. Should he could go to kangaroo court? Hell yea...But if you aren't in his squadron and don't know him then this is just pure bullshit.

Yeah, I have to agree with Nasty. It's more fair for a guy in this case to get a TON of shit from his ready room/wardroom, than to get a little shit from a ton of people he's never met. If my parents ever did something like this I don't think I would roger up to it on Facebook, but then again, I don't know, because my parents don't have the means to do something like this.

This kind of thing sucks AW and the Facebook JOPA page down to a level they don't need to be at.

exNavyOffRec

I am sure this guy will get lots of crap from his buddies, that is what people in the military do.

The one thing I would say is this young man's parents are proud enough of him and care enough about him to pay for something like this, there are too many kids growing up in this country who's parents don't bother to support their children in whatever they do, good for him and his parents.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I'm not against this because I'm all about the newer, softer, gentler Navy and I'm worried about the guys feelings getting hurt. I'm against it because he didn't have anything to do with it and you are pretty much making fun of his parents for being proud of their son that is serving in the military. I did get a laugh when I saw the picture tho.

D

Deleted member 24525

I'm not against this because I'm all about the newer, softer, gentler Navy and I'm worried about the guys feelings getting hurt. I'm against it because he didn't have anything to do with it and you are pretty much making fun of his parents for being proud of their son that is serving in the military. I did get a laugh when I saw the picture tho.

I don't care if a guy's feelings get hurt, I don't care if my feelings get hurt, but at least it's in the ready room where I know the people and we've earned the right to talk shit to each other.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I don't care if a guy's feelings get hurt, I don't care if my feelings get hurt, but at least it's in the ready room where I know the people and we've earned the right to talk shit to each other.

Calm down jesus, nobody cares that much. What a fucking buzzkill.

...also if you post some shit on the internet these days you better be prepared for any type of scrutiny in this day and age. Including other aviators on an Internet forum. Based off of his tone of comment in his own post it seems he is already making fun of himself, so he is obviously aware of the impending shitshow that is coming.