• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hershey Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This happened at NAS Saufley (a long time ago in a Training Command far, far away...)

NAS Saufley used to be the main primary training base, through which all flight students passed prior to entering a specific pipeline. It therefore had an extremely heavy traffic pattern with ops going from 0600 to midnight. Saufley Tower's workload was equally demanding with almost constant chatter on that frequency. One student thought he had it all wired and decided to prove it on one of his solos. After clearing the field to the west, and knowing that at least 30 or 40 other aircraft were out in the area, including numerous other solos, he slid open the conopy, put his mic out in the windstream and keyed the radio.

Pulling it back in, he broadcast: "Saufley Tower, Saufley Tower, this is the Hershey candy bar, Eat me, Eat me, Eat me." He then finished his normal hop.

With so many other A/C, it was impossible to identify who had made the transmission. A few hops later, on another solo, he did it again: "SSSSHHHHHHHHHH, Saufley Tower, Saufley Tower, this is the Hershey candy bar, Eat me, Eat me, Eat me." A couple flight instructors were not amused. By cross-checking the two days flight schedules, they narrowed the field down to two possible candidates. Only one solo got scheduled the next day--a 50/50 chance.

But they got lucky. The following day the transmission came again: "SSSSHHHHHHHHH, Saufley Tower, Saufley Tower, this is the Hershey candy bar, Eat me, Eat me, Eat me."

That particular day there was a female Air Controller in the tower who had been briefed on the situation. She calmly picked up the mic and said in a soft voice: "Roger Hershey candy bar, consider yourself eaten."

Status
Not open for further replies.