• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Here's a Little Factoid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFU2USN

Hi Everyone (John - you can move this topic elsewhere if you like
bouncy_125.gif
),

I was reading news at msnbc.com today, and an article that I took note of was the one on the plane that crashed with all of the Iranian soldiers on it.

This aircraft was made by a Russian company, so naturally, one would suspect the repair/maintenance parts would come from Russia, right?

However, the Iranians are blaming the US for their faulty aircraft, claiming hat US trade sanctions since the Hostage Crisis in 1979 have limited their access to these necessary aircraft parts.

My question is...how is this possible given that the Iranians still trade with the Russians - heck they're using the Russians to build Nuclear Power Plants.

I don't know why, I just thought I'd share this since there's been long term issues with Iran.

Any other thoughts are welcomed!

boggled_125.gif

funkonomics

They didn't show the entire report...Most of Iran's planes are VERY old Boeings and Airbuses. And since we imposed a trade embargo on them in 1979, they cannot get replacement parts (well-made American ones at least). Airbuses are on the list because they are 40% American parts, so we don't let Europe sell them to Iran (or they'd lose the ability to make their POS planes). Since Iran has to rely on Soviet planes (the one set of planes Airbus beats), and can't fix their older ones, or buy new Western ones, we are at fault.
However, 302 less members of Iran's revolutionary guard sounds like a good first step.

WFU2USN

Funkonomics,

Thanks, I just know they said the one that went down was Russian.

I think there are a lot of "have nots" out there who do like to blame the US for their lack of things. I'm not saying the US is perfect and has never "abused" their relations with poorer countries, but we're not necessarily "the great Satan" either.

:)Robin

Goliath112

There has been a string of crashes of Russian built aircraft lately, in Iran and other countries. These aircraft are not crashing because they are poorly designed, but because they are very old+combined with Iran's already dismal aviation safety record. Screw them.(their government I mean) They have been well known supporters of violence toward American citizens AKA the big "T" word. (Its become such a overused word these days). Too bad the plane didn't crash into a Revolutionary Guard Barrack too.....

funkonomics

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/02/20/1045638407641.html

Here's an aussie article that tells a bit more than the alphabet networks. Russians planes may not be too bad by objective standards, but when compared to Boeing's civi, then Lockheed transports, the Russians are in a valley trying to look up. Of course, I am partial Lockheed since they've been paying the bills for the last few years
jump2reflection_125.gif

Valion310

Actually ... because toaster ovens were made by Nintendo - and American Idol is on only one night a week - the hatred of America from the Iranian Airbus fleet can only logically stem from the Micky Mouse Club having Brittany Spears on it. In that Political view of the fact that Airbus parts are also made by Sega and Nintendo and the Iranian flight training course is done by Atari, the mear fact that the Russians have lower video game quality and toasters that only toast - toast shows that we are all at fault for everything that goes wrong.

Hence - the insanly logical view of the Iranian and middle eastern disliking for US Policy - and Airbus parts.

Hope that clears things up for people!
banghead_125.gif

Valion310 - Future post grad student in National Security / Foriegn Policy issues

Hudson

I thought that Sega and Nintendo were from Japan. Shouldn't some of the hate go there as well. i mean why do we have to get it all. Let's share the love.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.