• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

helpful hints on applying for Navy OCS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidrwmn

I'm new here, so please forgive me if I am asking questions that have been answered before. I am a junior in college and am getting ready to apply for OCS. I want to be an NFO, but I am only 4'10" ( hopefully not too short). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any hints about the application process, what sort of things ( clubs, GPA, etc)get you a leg up over the competition? I am a history major w/ a concentration in war and revolution and I am in two honor societies and have a 3.6 GPA. In comparison to others who have applied, How am I doing? Thanks!
- spidrwmn

illinidan

quote:
I'm new here, so please forgive me if I am asking questions that have been answered before. I am a junior in college and am getting ready to apply for OCS. I want to be an NFO, but I am only 4'10" ( hopefully not too short). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any hints about the application process, what sort of things ( clubs, GPA, etc)get you a leg up over the competition? I am a history major w/ a concentration in war and revolution and I am in two honor societies and have a 3.6 GPA. In comparison to others who have applied, How am I doing? Thanks!
- spidrwmn

illinidan

Spidrwmn:

Sorry for repeating your quote below, stupid machine! Anyway, to reply to your questions regarding OCS. I am a candidate officer set to graduate 29 Jun 01. I had a lot of the same questions you do right now. Can I get in? Am I qualified? Am I tall enough, etc.

Everything is based on "the needs of the Navy". You are going to get used to that one. As far as GPA and college credits, clubs, etc. It helps to be "well-rounded", but as with everything else at OCS, it is a mystery wrapped up in an enigma. Do the best you can.

As far as the height thing, if you are 5'5" or below they take anthro measurements at NOMI. If those don't suffice, cockpit measurements will be necessary.

My best advice I can give to you are two things. 1) Start working out NOW! Running 3-4 miles 3x/week and working on sit-ups and push-ups will alleviate a lot of pain at OCS. 2) Get ahold of the "gouge" needed to be learned from your recruiter and start now. Memorize this.

As far as anything else about OCS, well, you get to find out about it like the rest of us did, pain and misery. It is definitely worth it at the end because the person that you are after 13 weeks is a completely different person than goes in.

Good Luck!

candiman

you are well ahead of the curve on gpa hell i only had a 2.5 and got in as a pilot. just graduated may 25 the best time of year to apply is in the dec-may range. they are trying to fill as many spots as possibble and put anyone in. why do you want nfo? it stands for no future outside. besides pilots have more fun!!!

mike

spidrwmn

Thanks for the heads up on the time frame! Well, pilot would be great, but I have REALLY poor vision. I was sweating the vision requirements for NFO until they recently changed them to +/- 8.00. Besides that, I am still nervous about my height and allergies. Hopefully everything will work out ( I am taking the ASTB for the first time in August).

Dave Shutter

At least I was told up front that I had a chance at getting SNA. Vicki was told there was no way in HELL that she'd ever fly because of her height and eyes. Come this July 6 though she will pin on her newly minted butter bars and then it's off to API as a SNA. From what I've read here there are lots of ways around allergies and eyesight...don't quit if you really want it.

Best of luck!

D

Jeff29

Science Project
According to a Navy Message dated OCT 00 and entitled "Laser Eye Surgery PRK in New Accession to Navy ....", you can recieve a waiver for surgery if "Preoperative refractive error in each eye is less than or equal to +/- 5.50 total diopters in any meridian with less than or equal to +/- 3.00 diopters of cylinder and anisometropia less than or equal to 3.50 diopters". The surgery must also correct you to at least 20/20.

As for allergies, as I've mentioned before, if it can be corrected with a steroidal nasal spray, or with claritin or allegra, and there is nothing structurally wrong with your sinuses, you don't even need a waiver.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

nickou23

As I understood it, your GPA has some bearing, as does your major, its all weighted, an engineering major has 100% of his/her GPA counted towards his/her application, a science major 87.5% and liberal arts/everything else 75%. But you're still way ahead of me, I had and still have about a 2.6 in science, and I got in as a pilot too. Clubs and stuff are good too, but they also will look at where you have worked, if for example you're like me and didn't join or weren't active in any organizations because you were too busy working.

SHADHERRENKOHL

Just to let you know I had less than a 2.5 and I was accepted as an SNA. I am now at Vance awaiting the T-1 Also I knew a lady in OCS last year that was accepted as a SNA but 6 weeks into OCS they told her she was to short. Now she is in Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.