• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helpful Extracurriculars

westcoastflyer

I am in the first stages of applying for PLC Aviation, I started college in January and the application asks for college activities and recognitions. I've been here for five months and haven't really found anything to get involved in. I was wondering what some of ya'll did to get more involved in school and within your communities. I wasn't exactly a valedictorian and was not an all-state athlete, so what are some good ways to exhibit to the marine corps I am motivated and have leadership potential?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Marine Corps.

Keep looking. Find something that you may find remotely interesting and get involved. Sports are good because they show that you can play as a team and you have some type of physical fitness ability.

The Sailing Team in college was always looking for people who wanted to crew. The only requirements were to be in shape (not heavy at all), have a good attitude and be ready to learn.

GreenLantern330

To echo what Swanee said, sports are great. There's also a lot of other stuff you could do on campus too. If you're really fit and your university has a gym, see about maybe getting a job as a personal trainer or something. They consider those fitness teams and it shows the responsibility of dealing with clients' well being. Also, there should be a section on your university's web site that'll list all organizations and student agencies on campus. There's Greek life (and also professional fraternities that are not pan-helenic (ex pre law, business, pre med, community service, etc)), political groups, religious groups, intramural teams, sports clubs, community service groups... pretty much getting involved in the community should help. A lot of times groups on campus will have intramural teams too, so you could maybe kill 2 birds with one stone.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Leadership positions in said clubs--being a club officer shows initiative and dedication. Better to be chairman or president of one club, than a page full of filler.

As far a sports, crew (rowing) is good one to walk-on at most schools. Most high schools don't have it, so college teams are always looking for strong guys with good cardio.