• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

help...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tydaddy

just wondering...i've just finished my packet, still have to pft and get my physical, but i was wondering if there are any 200+ pounders who have applied. my run time sucks, although i've lost about 15 pounds in the last month or two...i'm at about 8-10% bodyfat, so it's not fat weight! what times are you guys running? being muscular is such a damn disadvantage
banghead_125.gif

casey

tydaddy-
The key to getting a fast run time is to run consistently 3-4 times a week for at least 3 miles. At least half of these runs should be doing intervals, that is, running at a much faster than normal rate for about 3-4 min then dropping down to a comfortable, but not slow rate for 3-4 mins and repeating 3 times. Also dont forget to stretch and to warm up at a slow pace before starting the intervals or you are likely to get injured.

If you are 8-10% bodyfat that is not much at all. The reason I would guess why you feel you are too heavy is because you are "muscular". Having a big body-builder type physique can actually be a big disadvantage. This is because body-builders have conditioned themselves for lifting weights, which you will do none of at OCS or during a PFT. Dont get me wrong, there is definitely some cross over, but the type of activities important at OCS and important on the pft are strength-to-bodyweight ratio exercises like (situps, pull ups, dips, pushups, etc). The extra muscle that is gained by high weigh/low rep lifting is often not used during the necessary activities. In my opinion, the best workout schedule is one where you focus first on the core types of exercises you need for the PFT and OCS. Get on one of the pull up programs and do it religiously (5X a week). Do three sets of abs until it really stings and then force yourself to do 10-20 more (5X a week). Run every other day and do the interval training. Finally mix in some push-ups (which will help w/ your pullups and prevent injury (100-150 a dayX 5 days).

If you feel that extra muscle is a disadvantage (which it probably is) forget about weighlifting for a while, I promise you, you'll keep the muscle you need. (Also dont take weight-gainer or any of that other crap, you dont want it and you dont need it). Different routines work for different people, but I pretty much stopped weight lifting last spring to focus on these core exercises and scored a 300 pft at the beginning of last summer. I am not 200+ lbs but I know a guy who is and could run well under 18:00, so it is definitely possible to get a good time with hard work. Anyway good luck, I am sure you will do fine!

kwb7463

being muscular has nothing to do with it. Start running more and faster. You want to me a Marine Officer?.. Then suck it the hell up and quit being a girl.

tydaddy

marlin thanks for the advice, but i guess i should have stated that i'm an ATC (certified athletic trainer for people like kwb) and also an ACE certified personal trainer, therefore as far as how/when/etc. to work out, that's not the issue...i was just wondering if any other 200+ pounders are having/had difficulties getting the run time down...also, i played competative ice hockey for 17 years, and division I in college...being a mostly "anaerobic" sport, i have my work cut out for me...
kwb, your reply is not even worth a response, actually probably one of the dumbest most ignorant comments i've read on the board so far, and if you want to get into a debate about the physiology behind my response, i'd be glad to...period

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I'm a 200+ pounder who has been successful in getting their run time down. I seem to vary, depending on how "in shape" I am at the time, but have brought my run time down anywhere from 24min to the low 19min 3 mile. I'm no big fan of running around, but when it's time to start conditioning, I usually rise to the challenge. I don't doubt that you can get your time down. Like me, you'll lose a little muscle in the process (at the beginning) but my body started to gain it back after making the adjustment to a regular running schedule while continuing to lift. Your discipline in the weight room should carry over into having discipline on the track. After that, I believe you'll start to shave minutes off your time. Good luck.

tydaddy

great!! thanks guys...i appreciate the advice! yea when i started running a month ago, i could barely run a mile...lol...no kidding, those fast twitch muscle fibers just didn't like the idea!! haha no, but i've finally gotten up to the point of running 3-4 miles, now i just need to work on shaving minutes off...

thanks again!!

jaguar1

i feel your pain too man, i'm 6' 195lbs rugby player. i can fluctuate weight between 190 and 200 and feel a complete difference in my speed and agility. maybe once hockey is over for the season, you can diet (i use that term VERY loosely) a bit and change the workout to something like marlin suggested. keep the faith brotha!

Citizen

6'4" here, my weight has fluctuated wildly over my life (from 180 to as much as 240)

i had a back injury last year after Juniors, and that wonderful runner's body i had worked so hard for at OCS was shot as I could barely walk, much less run. My back is better now, but I'm up to 215. it's actually mostly muscle i'm putting on, but the weight is killing my run time and pull ups. my goal is to be at 190 by the end of march, even if i do lose some muscle.

the way i figure, the less i eat and the more i run, the faster i'll get to my goals. good luck!

tydaddy

yea...that's what i'm banking on...i've been running now every day 2-3 miles...with some intervals too...some days even longer runs...and i have been losing some muscle, but oh well...i think i'm finally down to around 200...we'll see at my flight physical tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.