• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
blizzy said:
I just spoke to my admissions adviser on the status of my application. I applied back in July and USF received all the required docs shortly thereafter. My adviser said that if they accept more than 12 credits from my SMART (I have 15-18), then I am not eligible to be a Freshman applicant... and that I would need 30 credits to be a Transfer student.

She is going to research this issue further to hopefully allow me to get accepted, but it doesn't seem like this should apply for someone in the Navy doing STA-21.

What the hell??? Is anyone else running into an issue like this??

The latest email:

[FONT=&quot]Chris,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After chatting with you on the phone today, I made a number of phone calls.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I need to refer you to XXXXX – she supervises our Transfer Evaluation and Advising Teams. I spoke with her about your circumstances – you fall between our freshman and lower-level transfer requirements. If you were to take at least one class (online or other) at a regionally accredited institution like HCC and took advantage of the free tests through the military to CLEP (take a test to earn college credit equivalencies) to earn at least 30 credits, then we could consider you for admission for Sumer 2010. XXXX can explain this in more detail.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I also spoke with XXXXX with the NROTC program here at USF – I think you have been in contact with her via email. She advised that, as an active duty student, you should talk to your “detailer”. Typically, active duty students like you are completing additional coursework through the Naval Science Institute in order to meet college admission requirements.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There is a good chance that we will not be able to make a decision before December since you do not meet our admission criteria (yet). However, XXXX and I want to work with you to get on track. [/FONT]

Tomodachi

pilot
Every military installation i know of has an education office that offers CLEP/DSST testing. Theres alot of good resources out there to help you prepare for these tests that equate into college credit. Studying for and taking some of these like your advisor said will make you eligible for acceptance.

Alot of regionally accredited community colleges start classes all the time, 8 week courses. You can take one class and CLEP/DSST a couple classes within that 8 weeks as well. Theres CLEP exams that give you 6 semester hours of credit.

Do you have to earn 30 credits now before they accept you? Or once they evaluate your SMART transcripts, that + additional courses/CLEP need to = 30?

If they accept some of your SMART transcript credits, if you need 30 its really not to difficult to attain. Do you have to have this requirement done very soon, or can you get it done over the next few months?

blizzy

FY-10 STA-21 Selectee
Well, I imagine that I need an acceptance letter really soon--but, I don't know what the deadline for that paperwork is. I hope that I can convince them not to accept my credits and make me a "Freshman".