• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help with ARCO

dreamhigh

Air Padawan
Need help w/ ARCO studying for ASTB

Hey all, im new here, and it has been a great relief to find so much information and support from all of you all here at the forums. concerning those of you who studied for part of the ASTB by getting the ARCO book, which ones have you all been using? I have found several different versions of ARCO, which would you recommend the most?

Also, when do you take the ASTB test? I am a freshman in college and haven't even gone to my PLC training, so im new at everything. A good friend suggested i take flying lessons at a local airport here. (waco, tx) and he also recommend i play around with Microsofts FS just for some basics into flying.

My ultimate goal is qualify in my testing to become either an aviator or NFO (not really sure what the major difference is) for the Marines, but i guess i have a long ways to go.

so back to the original ?, which ARCO guide would you recommend? and when do you take the ASTB test?

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
The difference between a Pilot and a NFO (Naval Flight Officer) is the difference between Maverick and Goose in the movie Top Gun. The pilot flies the plane while the NFO sits in the back as a second pair of eyes. The NFO is also known as a RIO (Radio Intercept Officer). The job of the NFO is to help with a lot of the elctronics that go into an attack aircraft, which can be overwhelming for one man to do. On many aircraft, the pilot flies straight and level at 30,000 ft. while the NFO in the back has control of laser guided missiles and bombs which he guides into ground targets. Pilots often refer to NFO's as 'Penguins', they have wings but cannot fly. One pilot I know who just got winged in the Navy refers to his NFO as a 'survival meal' if they ever go down in the ocean. And since his NFO wears glasses he claims that he will have a cooked survival meal. The main difference between NFO and pilot is the front seat to the back. There are a lot of cool things to do as an NFO, but most people aspire to be pilots if they can.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Has anyone else heard that you aren't supposed to prepare for the ASTB? A LtCmdr in Pcola told me that the other day...just thought it was interesting...

dreamhigh

Air Padawan
Thanks for clearing that out Riper, from the brochures I got from the Marines it didn't seem to clear at first, now my goal has been narrowed :icon_smil

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
jamnww said:
Has anyone else heard that you aren't supposed to prepare for the ASTB? A LtCmdr in Pcola told me that the other day...just thought it was interesting...

If you want to get a good score, I recommend you study. Some take it and its very easy and others think it's very hard. I didnt do any studying and got a good score, but i had recently taken math and physics classes and was a pilot. All those helped me out greatly.

You should study the acro book at least to get a feeling of what the test is like.

You have three times to take it so if you bomb it, take it again. The last time you take it counts so if you get a ok score and take it again and bomb it, then that one counts.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Riper Snifle said:
There are a lot of cool things to do as an NFO, but most people aspire to be pilots if they can.

I didn't aspire to be either one. I just wanted to serve. The only reason I took the ASTB is because I was told it was my best chance to get a shot at OCS. I didn't care which I got (it's NFO). I guess I just haven't resigned myself to a life of people thinking I'm an NFO because I couldn't get my first choice of pilot.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jamnww said:
...A LtCmdr in Pcola told me that the other day...
Jamnww, weren't you corrected before on the abbreviation for Lieutenant Commander? It's LCDR.....yes, all upper case. Commander is abbreviated with "CDR"....just and FYI.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sniper,
I'm glad you think (or you take the your PILOT friend's opinion) that NFO's are worthless. NFO's are just as important as Pilots. AND not all NFO's are RIO's. There are Electronic Counter-Measures Officers (ECMO) for the EA-6B Prowler, Copilot Tactical Coordinator (COTAC), acoustic Sensor Station Operator (SENSO), and Tactical Coordinator (TACCO) for the S-3B Viking, Weapons Systems Officer (WSO) for the F/A-18 (Navy-Super) Hornet, Air Intercept Controllers (AIC) for the E-2 Hawkeye, and Navigator (NAV) or Senior Evaluator (SEVAL) for the P-3/EP-3 Orion.

So if you ask your PILOT friend the last time he did a successful Air-to-Air engagement without the use of an E-2C AIC (NFO)....or the last time a Strike went without an EA-6B doing Jamming (yet again another NFO).

Some of the attitudes of NEWLY winged personnel have yet to EARN the respect for something they know little about.

Sure there are JOKES about what Pilots call NFO's and what NFO's call Pilots, but in the end, it's just that, A JOKE....we couldn't succeed with out each other.....[/SOAPBOX RANT] :icon_rage

FACT: Approximately 65% (or so) of ALL Naval Aviators (Pilots) are Helicopter pilots....

ea6bflyr

Riper Snifle said:
The difference between a Pilot and a NFO (Non- Flight Officer) is the difference between Maverick and Goose in the movie Top Gun. The pilot flies the plane while the NFO sits in the back as a second pair of eyes. The NFO is also known as a RIO (Radio Intercept Officer). The job of the NFO is to help with a lot of the elctronics that go into an attack aircraft, which can be overwhelming for one man to do. On many aircraft, the pilot flies straight and level at 30,000 ft. while the NFO in the back has control of laser guided missiles and bombs which he guides into ground targets. Pilots often refer to NFO's as 'Penguins', they have wings but cannot fly. One pilot I know who just got winged in the Navy refers to his NFO as a 'survival meal' if they ever go down in the ocean. And since his NFO wears glasses he claims that he will have a cooked survival meal. The main difference between NFO and pilot is the front seat to the back. There are a lot of cool things to do as an NFO, but most people aspire to be pilots if they can.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Riper Snifle said:
The difference between a Pilot and a NFO (Non- Flight Officer) ...

It is NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICER!! :icon_rage

Now reread everything ea6bflyer wrote and take it to heart.

No need to take any flying lessons for the astb. A little time with any PC flying sim will help. Big thing is study the ARCO book and the gouge on this forum. Good Luck

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
I NEVER SAID NFO'S ARE WORTHLESS EA6BFLYER SO DON'T LIE. I explained what an NFO does, guiding in bombs to target is a cool job. The rest of what I said was to prepare PROSPECTIVE NFO's for the crap that they might hear as an NFO. I have not known one marine who does not take pride in being called a Jarhead, anyone trying to be NFO should take the same attitude towards the crap pilots will give them. Lt. jg. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX of the U.S. Navy is the pilot I quoted. Yes he is a newly winged pilot, but as a Super Hornet pilot, his opinions are fueled by his superiors as he goes through FNG syndrome. I felt my description of the job showed the positive aspects of the position, since I have a friend who is an NFO in the U.S. Air Force in an F-15E. Since you want to ignore all that I will only advise people to grow thicker skins. Pilots and NFO's get hassled when they are new, anyone going NFO should expect pilot's to give them some Sh@!, it comes with the territory. Love what you do and screw what other people think. It beats a desk job any day of the week.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Riper Snifle said:
Pilots often refer to NFO's as 'Penguins', they have wings but cannot fly. One pilot I know who just got winged in the Navy refers to his NFO as a 'survival meal' if they ever go down in the ocean. And since his NFO wears glasses he claims that he will have a cooked survival meal. The main difference between NFO and pilot is the front seat to the back. There are a lot of cool things to do as an NFO, but most people aspire to be pilots if they can.
Funny - we refer to pilots as stick monkeys. Diff is that at least monkeys are slightly entertaining on occasion, although both are known to sling crap at random.

It's probably your last line that has most of us up in arms. Back in my S-3 days (that'd be the "A" model before you kids got used to your fancy-dancy "B"), I knew NFOs who could fly better than some of our pilots. Everything is relative - case in point, I've put pilots in my seat in the E-2 and melted their brains. With single-seat Hornet squadrons being the exception, there's as many or more of us than there are pilots flying fixed-wing on the boat.

nugget81

pilot
Here is a website that has everything and anything you'd need to know for the ASTB:

http://www.columbia.edu/~mmx1/astb/

I personally used ARCO's Military Flight Aptitude Tests book, 6th Ed. If you haven't been in touch with an Officer Recruiter yet, then you should be soon. They will give you the most current information about when to do what. Good Luck!

dreamhigh

Air Padawan
Haha, you guys are all great :D

(Thanks nugget81 for the great link and info about ARCO)
Not to sound like a broken record, but when you all refer to ARCO - are you referring to a type of "Master the SAT" book, but for the ASTB? I assume based on my google research, that ARCO is a company that makes several study guides for different subjects. But just to clarify, which ARCO book did you freedeom-fighters use?

As a newbie to aviation, just the idea of having the oppurtunity of training to become either a pilor or a NFO sounds like a dream. All respect to you men.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Riper Snifle said:
I NEVER SAID NFO'S ARE WORTHLESS EA6BFLYER SO DON'T LIE.
No, you didn't say it but you certainly IMPLIED it.
Riper Snifle said:
The difference between a Pilot and a NFO (Non- Flight Officer) ....
Pilots often refer to NFO's as 'Penguins', they have wings but cannot fly. One pilot I know who just got winged in the Navy refers to his NFO as a 'survival meal' if they ever go down in the ocean. And since his NFO wears glasses he claims that he will have a cooked survival meal. The main difference between NFO and pilot is the front seat to the back. There are a lot of cool things to do as an NFO, but most people aspire to be pilots if they can.
IGNORANCE...I chose to be an NFO.
Riper Snifle said:
I explained what an NFO does....
You did in somewhat of a non-experienced slanted way.
Riper Snifle said:
The rest of what I said was to prepare PROSPECTIVE NFO's for the crap that they might hear as an NFO...anyone trying to be NFO should take the same attitude towards the crap pilots will give them.
I'll tell you what, growing a thick skin is some of the training you get in flight school, BUT there are a lot of communities that respect their NFO's. Let them decide "how they'll be treated." I've not once heard this type of dribble during my time in flight training or in my Fleet Squadron....I usually hear this from UN-EDUCATED people that don't know what we bring to the fight as warriors (F-18 NUGGETS or NON-Aviation Types).
Riper Snifle said:
Lt. jg. XXXXXXX of the U.S. Navy is the pilot I quoted.
Let's not list other people's names on the World Wide Web without their consent.
Riper Snifle said:
Yes he is a newly winged pilot, but as a Super Hornet pilot, his opinions are fueled by his superiors as he goes through FNG syndrome.
Let's see what his WSO Department Head would say about this type of attitude.....as he is struggling to get the Aircraft aboard the ship during a Case III recovery (Dark and Nasty night).
Riper Snifle said:
Since you want to ignore all that I will only advise people to grow thicker skins. Pilots and NFO's get hassled when they are new, anyone going NFO should expect pilot's to give them some Sh@!, it comes with the territory. Love what you do and screw what other people think. It beats a desk job any day of the week.
I don't think you RATE giving ANY aviator Sh!t......NFO or PILOT.

If you think I am being unfair, then you might want to RE-PHRASE or CHOOSE your word carefully......

Thick skin....lets see, with over 21 years in the Navy and 2200 hours of Special Crew Time in over NINE different Naval Aircraft, I think I just might have "LEARNED" how to take it and dish it out......

ea6bflyr