• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help...What to really bring to OCS

nukumall

I am waiting on a class date now, the web page says to bring $200. That seems a little low. Do we get our initial uniforms issued, or is it "taken" out of our pay checks. Being prior enlisted and with a family it is difficult to plan for pay cuts. Does anyone know about the uniforms?

One more thing, is anyone else prior Air Force? What ribbons/medals do you get to keep?

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
you keep all your medals, and ribbons. Bring about 500 if you want. Your uniforms will be taken out of your pay.

pilotpete24

Actually, you get an allowance for your initial uniform issue, but you do have to pay for your dress uniforms and khakis. There are payment plans available for those. Also, bring at least $200, but if you can spare more, bring more. It's not hard to spend alot of money at OCS.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm bringing about 350 bucks. BTW, logistics, where is your money kept during the day when you're out and about? Are there safe, locked places to store money and valuable stuff in regiment/battallion?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I'm bringing about 350 bucks. BTW, logistics, where is your money kept during the day when you're out and about? Are there safe, locked places to store money and valuable stuff in regiment/battallion?

Stuff like that will be in your locker, secured with a combination lock. If you forget to lock it one day, you'll find out when you come back to your room and see your shit everywhere.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Stuff like that will be in your locker, secured with a combination lock. If you forget to lock it one day, you'll find out when you come back to your room and see your shit everywhere.

Hear, hear. At least it won't be swept into the center of the squadbay with everybody elses shit that forgot to lock theirs that morning. And everybody's locks are locked together. I did that to my guys in the fleet (b/c it was done to me) so I marked mine, but it sure was fun to see everyone else wrestle with that glob of locks. It's a lesson that no 300 word essay can teach.

Bringing extra moola for yourself is always good, but being the first to throw a few bones to your squadmates who don't have enough is a good test of brotherhood. Don't expect to get it back, and be pleasantly surprised when you do. I would say more, but I don't know how things work at RI so I won't act like I do.

nugget81

pilot
I brought about $200 in cash, and it took all 12 weeks to spend it. I used my debit card for most things outside the borders of OCS. There's ATM access when you need it. As for uniforms, expect to pay about $2500 for everything, which is due on the day of graduation. You are given a uniform allowance early on that covers about $1400 of it, and an additional $600 after graduation.

port_tack

I wouldn't bring more than $200 in cash. Really, you could probably get away with showing up with only $20 in cash when you check in. Leave the rest in your car. By the time you need the full $200, you'll have had access to an ATM. There's no reason to have that much cash lying around.

You don't need to pay for the uniforms until you graduate. They will not take it out of your pay. There are payment plans available.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I brought about $200 in cash, and it took all 12 weeks to spend it. I used my debit card for most things outside the borders of OCS. There's ATM access when you need it. As for uniforms, expect to pay about $2500 for everything, which is due on the day of graduation. You are given a uniform allowance early on that covers about $1400 of it, and an additional $600 after graduation.

So we are looking at about 500 out of pocket and about 200 in cash (if we feel we need it all)?

nugget81

pilot
So we are looking at about 500 out of pocket and about 200 in cash (if we feel we need it all)?

Yeah, that about sums it up. The Candio's will take $20 from your packet on the first day to cover things like haircuts and to start your class fund. Be sure to have at least $20, so you're not "that guy".

four o two

None
I wouldn't bring more than $200 in cash. Really, you could probably get away with showing up with only $20 in cash when you check in. Leave the rest in your car. By the time you need the full $200, you'll have had access to an ATM. There's no reason to have that much cash lying around.

You don't need to pay for the uniforms until you graduate. They will not take it out of your pay. There are payment plans available.
Bad gouge. Bring at least $200. You'll have it locked up in your rack drawer/locker. Liberty is not always guaranteed, so don't rely on being allowed a trip to your POV to be your only chance to receive needed cash.

One thing I've learned in my short stay is to mind your P's and Q's regarding any and every aspect I can control and prepare for, and leave nothing to chance. ;)

nugget81

pilot
Bad gouge. Bring at least $200. You'll have it locked up in your rack drawer/locker. Liberty is not always guaranteed, so don't rely on being allowed a trip to your POV to be your only chance to receive needed cash.

One thing I've learned in my short stay is to mind your P's and Q's regarding any and every aspect I can control and prepare for, and leave nothing to chance. ;)

I wouldn't call it bad gouge. In fact, I would say that it is a good possibility that port tack's plan would work. Even without liberty you can go to the NEX and get a POV run on the weekends.