• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help Wanted: App. Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTP

Ok....I'm about to have the PRK done(May 3rd). I've passed the ASTB and got the grades for a pilot slot. I've been to MEPS and did it all except for the EKG and passed, well I was DQ'd for the vision part. What do I need to be working on next in my package? My recruiter is not that bright, and I'm being nice here.

As far as past employers go, how much does that way? I had a really good sales intern with UPS, but I didn't care to much for the way the manager ran the program and I voiced my opinion to him about it. I don't think he cares for me too much now.
For references, my Dad is a retired Commander and flew A-4's in Vietnam. I know a lot of Officers personally, but should I include civilians also?
I'm not lost, but I need some guidance here with this stuff. After I get this surgery done I'm gonna start busting ass on this package, that way I can get it out the day of my 3 month post op visit.
Also, if January is the date everyone seems to be getting now for OCS will I get a later date than that being that I am applying in 3 months?
Lastly, I'm visiting an old girlfriend who lives in East Park, Hill, Point....East something down in P-Cola this coming week. I'll be flying in on Sunday and leaving Wed. morning. If anyone who is down there would be so kind as to meet me and maybe try and get me on the base that would be awesome. I'd like to see what's going on down there first hand. I'll buy lunch and a round of brews.

Thanks in Advance, and sorry for being like a 10yr old brother!LOL

JTP

YEAH COME ON!!

meb6385

JTP,
I think if I were you I would start working on the EPSQ security background check, that was probably the most annoying part of my application process, it required alot of info about past jobs and residences and took forever. As for the refence stuff, I just asked the people whom I thought would give me the best reference, regardless of who they were. I don't have much, but I hope my 2 cents can help some.

Mike

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
JTP,
I just had a conversation about all this stuff yesterday with my recruiter. It's good that you're trying to be knowledgeable about the whole process. Here are my takeaways from the conversation:

-do the EPSQ perfectly. no mistakes
-get your official transcripts sent directly to your recruiter, you're not allowed to touch them.
-letters of rec: my recruiter said to get people who can speak to those attributes which would best make you a Navy officer. For instance, a letter from your coach about your leadership/teamwork abilities might be better than a letter from a military officer about how you're a nice guy and you help little old ladies cross the street. Of course, military officers who can speak to your leadership/teamwork abilities would be ideal. From my recruiter's perspective, the content of the letters is what is most important and any military involvement is a bonus. He justified this by saying that the Navy doesn't want someone from a Navy town (who knows a lot of Navy officers) to have an "important friends" advantage over someone from Idaho who has never met a Navy officer. Takehome message: get recs from officers if they can speak to your potential as an officer.

-types of people to get recs from: I'm planning on getting a rec from the CFO of my company, my coach from college, and a colonel (USMC-retired) who I know really well. My recruiter said this is a good sampling of people from different walks of life as long as they can write about the important stuff. Also suggested 3-5 references. No more, no less.

And by the way, letters of recc have to go straight to your recruiter also. you're not allowed to touch them and it helps if the writer uses official letterhead/paper from the company, school, etc...

Sorry if that was longwinded. Hope it helps.

-Greg

JTP

Thanks Greg and Mike. I appreciate your inputs. What is tje story behind the EPSQ? Have you done it yet Greg? Is there a plave where I can get it online, or do I get it from my recruiter. I just tried to call her, but of course she isn't there. Thanks again for your inputs.

YEAH COME ON!!

vballindaytona

espq is at www.dss.mil i think. or www.dss.com, whicheither works. as for the letters of rec? They didn't come directly from the people to my recruiter, i just handed them to the recruiter, you know, ones ive had in my files for years.

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.